Ben Folds Way To Normal 'Leak' - fake?
17/July/2008 - 21:19
OK, so the forums have gone a bit bonkers since the alleged 'Way to Normal' album leaked last night, and the big questions is: Is this really Ben's new album?
The general consensus is 'partially'. Some of these songs are pretty obviously studio versions that we've been waiting for - 'Cologne', 'Hiroshima' and 'You Don't Know Me' are pretty unanimously considered as real. 'The Bitch Went Nuts' is divided. 'Way To Normal' is almost certainly a joke, but is already building quite a fan base of its own.
In addition to the things I mentioned last night, a number of good points have been batted around by various people:
1) Didn't Ben get kind of cross about people reviewing half-finished tracks downloaded from the Internet? Is this some kind of revenge?
2) Where's the crazy Altoids-can-in-the-piano stuff in 'Free Coffee'? This one sounds like Jesusland
3) Isn't there supposed to be a 'Kung-Fu Master' voice on one of the tracks?
4) Most of the lyrics to 'Way To Normal'
5) Lazy hooks - no monster piano smashing solos anymore?
In its defence: isn't this rather a large undertaking for a prank?
If it's a joke, then bravo Ben & Co! You've outdone yourselves.
If it's not a joke, by the looks of it you've got about two months to re-write half an album...