ben playing coachella

• 22 Replies

Offline Itslikeimsayin

Re: ben playing coachella
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2003, 07:24:41 PM »
For $75 they could also tell you what time acts are going to perform. From what I hear, there's no posted schedule for each day. Is that correct, TIB?

-ILIS, undecided on the whole Coachella thingy. (But thanks for the comments, TIB)

Offline the_in_betweens

• often misunderstood.. .
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2003, 12:56:16 PM »
I actually don't remember...I think I was able to find out when the various bands were playing before I arrived, but I don't remember. You definitely get a schedule when you're there, and as you'd expect, it's roughly in reverse order of the billing, though there are many stages going simultaneously. I'm pretty sure there's a way to find out, at any rate...
"There is no doggie heaven!...or...to put it another way...there is." --Homer

Offline Itslikeimsayin

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2003, 10:54:24 AM »
In today's LA Times, they rank the Top 50 acts at this year's Coachella. Ben Folds came in #40 with this write-up:

40. Ben Folds. Ben Folds likes to get a laugh or two during his shows, but his music is less inclined to silliness these days, finding a balance of comedy and small tragedy akin to Randy Newman. Now a solo artist behind the piano, Folds makes music heavy with shades of meaning and wry contradiction. The result is usually smart and festive, as real melancholy mingles with pop melody as blissful as the Beach Boys.

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2003, 03:28:35 PM »

Offline the_in_betweens

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2003, 10:00:30 PM »
Well, here's a debrief:

Ben was one of the early-in-the-day acts, but drew quite a crowd. He played a 50-minute set in the blazing mid-afternoon desert heat, and made an amusing quip about how Iggy Pop told him that the most important thing about playing here was to wear a hat. If you get a chance to see pics of Ben with the hat, let's just say I recommend it. ;)  As I mentioned before, these were less-than-ideal conditions, but to no one's surprise, he gave it all and put on an awesome show. No appearances from Kweller or Lee, though both should have been in town (did anyone go to Kweller's set at Coachella Saturday?)

The following is an attempt at a setlist, entirely from memory, 26 hours later...

Best Imitation
 One Angry Dwarf
 Secret Life of Morgan Davis
 Fred Jones Part II
 Golden Slumbers
 Narcolepsy
 Philosophy/Miserlou/Chopsticks
 Army
 Song for the Dumped (minor, last verse in Japanese)
 Not the Same

Annie, did you make it there? I didn't see you (and felt lame for not double-checking/making plans to meet up beforehand)...

Anyway, the takeaway: Ben exceeded even my expectations, and this was a very welcome "between tours" Ben fix for me. Of course it couldn't equal the amazing tour shows I've been to, but if those were the main course, this was like a really great appetizer.

TIB

Offline Itslikeimsayin

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2003, 12:54:09 AM »
Who else did you see at Coachella, TIB? Did you go to The White Stripes' performance last night?

Offline the_in_betweens

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2003, 04:33:36 AM »
In addition to Ben I caught Sonic Youth, Primal Scream, White Stripes, Blue Man Group (fun, but talk about sellout; Iggy Pop probably would have been a better choice, but I was progged out at that point) and about half an hour of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (left a little early to beat traffic since I've seen RHCP before).

What'd you think of White Stripes? Not sure Jack was firing on all cylinders, but still a heck of a set. I'm just wondering how typical it was. Some weird moments, like it seemed as if he didn't like the way "You're pretty good looking" was going after the first line or two and just double-time a capella'd the rest. Reminded me of Cartman speed-singing "Come Sail Away" because "once you start, you have to hear the whole thing..."

Overall, I definitely felt that I got my money's worth (even for $75). Seemed like just about every act had something to recommend it...like, that whole LA Times "Top 50?" Their ordering was bullshit (of course), but they were saying decidedly positive things about all 50 (and give them credit for not letting the Blue Men make the list). It really was a good collection of acts.

TIB

Offline Itslikeimsayin

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2003, 10:34:33 AM »
I didn't mean to give the impression that I went. I didn't. That's why I wanted to hear a little more about it from you. Thanks!