Thoughts on BF/BFF vinyl

• 47 Replies
Thoughts on BF/BFF vinyl
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
After years of being on the fence I'm finally getting "back" into vinyl. Any thoughts on which albums sound better on vinyl? I see Messner is going to be rereleased on vinyl in December. If anyone's got an extra yellow Suburbs vinyl they're willing to sell please let me know! Best, Mike

Offline Ootini

• Sandcrawler II - Assistant Manager
Re: Thoughts on BF/BFF vinyl
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:20:03 AM »
I know it's the latest record, but 'So There' works a lot better on Vinyl in my opinion. Having the Concerto as a self-contained work on a side of a record makes a lot more sense than the strange transition on the CD from 'chamber-pop' to classical. I believe the Vinyl mastering was a separate master to the CD too. I would presume that the reissues will just be transfers of CD to Vinyl rather than complete re-masters? I'd be happy to be wrong about that though!

Offline ASentimentalGuy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
Ben Folds Five (the self titled album) is the way to go.  I own almost every album of Ben's on vinyl, but this may be one of my favorites.  It is a must have.  Also, I agree that So There is phenomenal as an LP and no you cannot buy my yellow Suburbs  :)
Baby Boss: Climbs up on his Soap Box, but Great Caesar's Ghost knows whats best for me

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »
Plain Recordings S/T reissue is terrible. ORG Music reissue of Whatever and Ever is decent, but digitally-sourced from the 2005 masters. The original Messner LP is cut from CD masters as well as far as I know, but the new reissue is being mastered by Kevin Gray which should be really nice. ORG's reissue of Suburbs was pretty good sound-wise. Sound of the Life and So There are excellent.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments. I a bit slow-- but what does "S/T" stand for? I know I should know but I don't!

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I a bit slow-- but what does "S/T" stand for? I know I should know but I don't!
S/T stands for self titled, e.g. the album "Ben Folds Five."

Offline ASentimentalGuy

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
Ok so maybe the sound quality isn't as good as it could be, but if you want a fun record to put on and enjoy, the self-titled is the way to go.  A huge part of record collecting for me is everything that comes with it, besides the fact that it is great music.  Nothing beats buying a new record, reading all the lyrics in the sleeve, looking at all the cover art, placing that needle down for the first time, and listening to an Album.  And as far as all that goes, as a Ben Folds fan, you should have that record.  Imagine yourself back in 1995 putting that record on for the first time and the feeling it would have brought you, or even now just think about Ben, Darren, and Robert putting their heart and soul into every song.  While the "audio" may be sub-par, the quality isn't lacking one bit.
Baby Boss: Climbs up on his Soap Box, but Great Caesar's Ghost knows whats best for me

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 06:54:40 AM »
Thanks for the follow up on the "S/T." I agree. I do get the fact it was not recorded on the best audio set up possible but I agree the music is awesome. I know Ben loves the album--flaws included. It sounds like (no pun intended) this should be lower on my list as far as getting all the albums on vinyl with a limited budget. It's on the list but there's a few ahead of it.

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
The quality of the recording is fine, but the Plain Recordings reissue was poorly mastered. The CD sounds a lot better. I've never heard the original vinyl issue of it, but I have to imagine it sounds better than Plain's. Don't get me wrong, it's my favorite BF5 album. I just wish there was a better sounding issue of it.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
Amazon just notified me the ship date for TUBoRM has been pushed back to January 27, 2017.

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »
I'm stoked about the Reinhold vinyl. Does anyone know if there's going to be a limited color release for this one? I got the W&EA orange version, but I jumped the gun on the Rockin' the Suburbs release and pre-ordered from a standard black vinyl version and missed out on the yellow release. Just curious if Reinhold is getting a red release or something along those lines. Don't want to miss out on that.

Offline jpar

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 12:32:41 PM »
I haven't seen anything about a colored variant for Messner.

I'm stoked about the Reinhold vinyl. Does anyone know if there's going to be a limited color release for this one? I got the W&EA orange version, but I jumped the gun on the Rockin' the Suburbs release and pre-ordered from a standard black vinyl version and missed out on the yellow release. Just curious if Reinhold is getting a red release or something along those lines. Don't want to miss out on that.

Offline jpar

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 12:36:20 PM »
Ben Folds w/ yMusic in Concert 2015-2016
Date: 11/25/2016
Format: 10" Vinyl
Label: New West Records
Quantity: 2000
Release Type: RSD Exclusive Release

Side One
1. Not A Fan
2. Erase Me
3. Capable of Anything
Side Two
1. Phone in A Pool
2. Stevenís Last Night in Town

Each purchase also includes a digital download with three bonus tracks.

The tracks will be released digitally to all DSPs on December 9.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 09:58:26 AM »
So just picked and am listening to the vinyl....really good sound actually. The digital download isn't available on the website so I don't know what is going on there. Hopefully it will be up soon; looking forward to the three bonus tracks.

Offline jpar

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »
I emailed New West Records asking when/how we can download the album.

So just picked and am listening to the vinyl....really good sound actually. The digital download isn't available on the website so I don't know what is going on there. Hopefully it will be up soon; looking forward to the three bonus tracks.