Munhall, PA 10-7-16

• 5 Replies
Munhall, PA 10-7-16
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »
This setlist order will be really botched, but I think I'll have everything included:

Phone In A Pool
Effington
Still Fighting It
Bastard
Not A Fan
Capable Of Anything
Annie Waits
Landed
You Don't Know Me
Philosophy

-- intermission --

Paper airplane request:

Support Musicians Of Steel (improv)
The Ascent Of Stan
Dr. Yang
Hiro's Song (shaker + piano)
The Last Polka
Brick
Such Great Heights
Please Let Me Bake You A Cake (improv)
Zak And Sara
Best Imitation Of Myself
Underground
The Luckiest

Encore:

Hava Nagila
Army

So yeah, fun show.  The mayor was there to explain the paper airplane segment and then later pick them up and give them to Ben.  Support Musicians of Steel was inspired by the current Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra strike.  The cake-baking song was inspired by a paper airplane that just included a message about wanting to bake him a cake for 5 years but never doing it due to lack of an opportunity to actually give it to him (the design was something about him climbing Mt. Motherf*cker, with a taxi hanging down the side, in respect to his most "famous" Pittsburgh stories he likes to tell).  He worked in a "rock this bitch" line at the end just for posterity's sake I suppose, as a formal "rock this bitch" was only requested once prior, and it was early in the show and I don't think he heard.

Underground had background vocals sung on an additional mic by the people that requested it, and they thankfully did a bang-up job.  Personal highlight surprisingly might've been Dr. Yang, which he absolutely rocked. Great solo piano arrangement. It was also probably the best I've heard him play the solo out of the live recordings I've listened to.

Offline ASentimentalGuy

Re: Munhall, PA 10-7-16
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 12:59:40 PM »
Soundcheck included (in no particular order):

Gracie
Fired
Trusted
A Sentimental Guy
Eddie Walker
Smoke
Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head
Jesusland (played about 5x the speed, incredible)
Don't Change Your Plans
Jane
Lullaby
Emaline
There's Always Someone Cooler Than You

The highlight of the night was The Last Polka, my paper airplane request.  I was in row K but somehow he got it.  At first I figured someone else requested it, but when he read my name, I could not believe it. 

When he came out, sat down, put his drink on the piano, crossed his legs, and played Phone in a Pool 1 handed, I knew it would be an incredible show. 

And I'd agree, Dr. Yang was a treat!  I sang that one as loud as I could.
Baby Boss: Climbs up on his Soap Box, but Great Caesar's Ghost knows whats best for me

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 12:03:39 PM »
Nice!  Yeah I was in row D, and my friend had requested Last Polka, so we weren't sure if it was his or not, haha.

Was the soundcheck full songs, or excerpts?  It's varied from time to time I guess.

Offline ASentimentalGuy

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
It was whatever he was feeling.

Raindrops was the full thing, Eddie Walker was bridge to the end, and the rest were just the first couple of verses and first chorus.  The cool thing was how he would change them up though, adding inversions and insane improvised riffs
Baby Boss: Climbs up on his Soap Box, but Great Caesar's Ghost knows whats best for me

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »
It's great to see Ben mixing it up after that yMusic tour that seemed to go on forever and ever. The paper airplane request segment definitely keeps things fresh.

Offline Allison

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »
This setlist has been updated in the archives: http://thesuburbs.org.uk/tour/20161007/Munhall
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!