Way To Normal Fan Remaster

• 6 Replies

Offline rjlupin

• Audio geek, weirdo, Ben Folds fan.
Way To Normal Fan Remaster
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:32:55 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLipitq3yEUDyR26FvU4U44JnirjE_0Gqe

This has been a pet project of mine.

Like many of you, I loved the music on Way To Normal, but strongly disliked the way that the album had been produced. I've always disliked brickwall mastering and the overuse and misuse of compression in music over the last 10-15 years, but the production of this album made me rethink what "bad" was. Stems & Seeds came along, and I was disappointed to find that while it was slightly toned down, it still sounded pretty crushed and didn't reflect what the music should have sounded like.

In 2014, I started mixing together the stems from Stems & Seeds, and got some basic mixes together. I posted one or two of those mixes to Reddit at the time. In mid-late 2015, I started experimenting with mastering— that is to say, equalizing and generally tweaking the mixes to make them sound as good as they possibly can.

It's taken me quite a while, but I now have a self-produced copy of Way To Normal which, to me at least, sounds quite nice. I'm in the process of uploading it to YouTube for easy access. Hopefully you all enjoy it as well.

-- R.J. Lupin

Offline AmateurHour1999

Re: Way To Normal Fan Remaster
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
What an absolutely fantastic remaster! Thank you so much for doing this!
I see that there is evil, and I know that there is good, and the in-betweens are never understood!

Offline rjlupin

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 04:11:46 PM »
What an absolutely fantastic remaster! Thank you so much for doing this!

Why, thank you!  I'm pleased with how it came out.

Offline Bruno

• Singer/Songwriter/Ben Folds Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »
This is SO GOOD. I'm hearing backing vocals I never even knew existed. So much more enjoyable. Anyway I can download this version without using a YouTube downloader?

Offline rjlupin

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:57:59 PM »
This is SO GOOD. I'm hearing backing vocals I never even knew existed. So much more enjoyable. Anyway I can download this version without using a YouTube downloader?

Why, thank you!  I do have the full-quality FLAC files, but I'm relatively new to this forum and wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers with music piracy shenanigans.  As for hearing background vocals and such... yes.  All of these layers have been here all along, but whoever did the mixing and mastering of the 2008 release made it very hard to distinguish one sound from another in their version.  I'm sure that everyone here is familiar with the loudness war, and the reasons why a lot of music released in the last 15 years sounds crushed.  If not, check out the Wikipedia article on the subject.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:47:02 AM »
This sounds excellent!

Offline rjlupin

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »