Rockin' the Suburbs 180g 2-LP reissue

• 8 Replies

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Rockin' the Suburbs 180g 2-LP reissue
« on: January 01, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »
http://www.bullmoose.com/p/21737993/folds-ben-rockin-the-suburbs-2-lp-set-180-gram-vinyl

Another Folds reissue by ORG Music. WAEA was a decent quality reissue on nice quiet vinyl but the mastering and album artwork left a lot to be desired. I'm curious to see how this one pans out since I'm sure the master and album art are in better shape. This reissue also seems to include Hiro's Song. I'd be ecstatic if this new issue was mastered with less dynamic compression.

Re: Rockin' the Suburbs 180g 2-LP reissue
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
Another dream comes true.....thank you so much for posting this!

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:32:52 AM »
Ordered.

Thank god this finally happened. All we need now is Reinhold Messner next year.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 10:36:27 PM »
Just got mine today, haven't listened to it yet.

I will say, however, that the cover art leaves something to be desired. The photo was already pretty shadowy to begin with, this release makes the right side of his face nearly a complete shadow.

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 07:10:42 AM »
Listening, sounds pretty good, nothing revelatory. Need a few more listens and comparisons with the old CD to really know if there's an improvement. Pressing quality is good. Artwork quality is, much like Whatever and Ever Amen, subpar. The cover art is slightly zoomed in and very dark. The lyrics sheet and pictures inside are dark. Really could have used a gatefold on this one, I hate having two LPs in the same sleeve.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:48:49 PM »
I would have to agree artistically kind of disappointed that the picture is so low quality. Still really cool they re-released this because I am not paying Ebay/Amazon prices of $200.00 to get one of the original first pressing copies. Now we need Reinhold and Live to be re-released  :)

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 04:57:05 PM »
The vinyl packaging was always a bit fuzzier as compared to the CD, which was a slightly higher quality image. The WeaEA reissue artwork was clearly just a poor scan of the original cover - this doesn't look to have been created in the same way - the colors are just off creating an overall darker image (easiest way to notice the variance is by looking at the tones of green on the back of the sleeve) but otherwise the image quality not a huge difference from the 2001 copy. That photo was always fuzzy.

Audio-wise, like the WEaEA reissue this was not remastered for vinyl so it's pretty much identical to the first release but pressed on 180 gram vinyl so audiophiles can balance it on their erection while enjoying the warmer tones of wax-based audio.

A great price for those who don't have an OP, or who want to preserve their 2001 pressing, but not an essential re-release with significant improvements like the self-titled release was.

Offline Playhouse

• Doin' It Anyway!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 04:25:39 AM »
Audio-wise, like the WEaEA reissue this was not remastered for vinyl so it's pretty much identical to the first release but pressed on 180 gram vinyl so audiophiles can balance it on their erection while enjoying the warmer tones of wax-based audio.

*slow clap*
A one-hit wonder with no hits...

Hey, that's Oh-Ned-Er!

Offline Cade_Earick687

• Might just be the youngest Ben Folds fan.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 09:08:02 AM »
I LOVE this vinyl. So good. Only thing though, I wish it had a download code for digital.