Ben Folds orders his solo and Ben Folds Five releases

• 17 Replies
Re: Ben Folds orders his solo and Ben Folds Five releases
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 06:45:55 PM »
To each their own, as that's perhaps my favorite song on the album (my favorite modern Ben Folds bridge until So There unseated it).  :)

That's the great thing about Folds music.  Something for everyone.  :P  Looks like Sutter agrees with you too.  I think it's a lovely lyric, but musically I find it extremely uninspiring, like something he could have just crapped out for a 4.6 type contract.  Oh well, haha.

Oh, and also, since I (and others) have been critical of WAEA's sequencing, I thought it only fair to post how I'd order the tracks:

1. One Angry Dwarf
2. Battle Of Who Could Care Less
3. Kate
4. Song For the Dumped
5. Missing The War
6. Brick
7. Fair
8. Steven's Last Night
9. Cigarette
10. Selfless
11. Smoke
12. Evaporated

I do agree the sequencing of the album is very back and forth, but I think your revised track listing is too fast in the beginning with a slowwwww second side. ....THAT BEING SAID, i was going to try my hand at sequencing the album, but honestly it's very difficult to not fall into the "fast, slow, fast, slow" trend. There really aren't any mid tempo songs here.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 05:56:09 AM »
THAT BEING SAID, i was going to try my hand at sequencing the album, but honestly it's very difficult to not fall into the "fast, slow, fast, slow" trend. There really aren't any mid tempo songs here.

Right, yeah.  That's why I just prefer to approach it (and any album, really) from the standpoint of following an emotional arc.

Offline Playhouse

• Doin' It Anyway!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 12:26:46 PM »
To each their own, as that's perhaps my favorite song on the album (my favorite modern Ben Folds bridge until So There unseated it).  :)

That's the great thing about Folds music.  Something for everyone.  :P  Looks like Sutter agrees with you too.  I think it's a lovely lyric, but musically I find it extremely uninspiring, like something he could have just crapped out for a 4.6 type contract.  Oh well, haha.

Oh, and also, since I (and others) have been critical of WAEA's sequencing, I thought it only fair to post how I'd order the tracks:

1. One Angry Dwarf
2. Battle Of Who Could Care Less
3. Kate
4. Song For the Dumped
5. Missing The War
6. Brick
7. Fair
8. Steven's Last Night
9. Cigarette
10. Selfless
11. Smoke
12. Evaporated

This is an interesting mix, though I have to agree that it seems too split into a fast/slow double album kind of approach.

For me, I'm obviously used to listening to the album as-is all the way through, but I've always felt the second half of the album is sequenced pretty well compared to the first half.  It's the back and forth of the first six songs that really lends it a collection feel at times rather than a given arc. 

Taking a look at this for funsies, I found that you could order the first half of the album fairly well, but "Song for the Dumped" becomes a bit of sore thumb.  Surprisingly, it could work as an album opener, particularly with the count-off to start the song, but the beginning of "One Angry Dwarf" just lives as the start of an album and the two don't work in sync close to each other.  So, I broke with my idea of keeping the last six songs in place, moved "Battle" up like you have it here, and sent "Dumped" down to the second half of the album.

I think, for flow, this works fairly well...

1. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
2. Battle of Who Could Care Less
3. Kate
4. Fair
5. Selfless, Cold, and Composed
6. Brick
7. Smoke
8. Cigarette
9. Song for the Dumped
10. Steven's Last Night in Town
11. Missing the War
12. Evaporated