Ben's usage of autotune

• 6 Replies

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Ben's usage of autotune
« on: September 14, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »
I know Ben has not shied away from autotune on his albums - it's plainly evident on Army and Secret Life of Morgan Davis, and I think I just heard it on So There. Some artificial pitch changing on "I'm Not the Man," the line "dancing on my own grave." Anyone else hear it?

Re: Ben's usage of autotune
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 05:24:58 AM »
I know Ben has not shied away from autotune on his albums - it's plainly evident on Army and Secret Life of Morgan Davis, and I think I just heard it on So There. Some artificial pitch changing on "I'm Not the Man," the line "dancing on my own grave." Anyone else hear it?

I can't hear it on I'm Not the Man.

On Army I totally can though. I don't think Ben uses auto tune nearly as much as most artists do. Some of the vocal takes he uses for his albums are pretty rough around the edges, which is something I respect.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:39:52 AM »
I think some of his vocal modulation abilities are confused with AutoTune.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:46:27 AM »
I think I recall him saying somewhere he used it a bunch on Rockin' The Suburbs too, with, seeing how pretty much every song on that album has a nearly flawless vocal performance and is devoid of those signature Ben inflections., makes sense.  You can use pitch correction and not have it be blatantly obvious like what we usually associate auto-tune with sounding like.  Just depends on what program you use / how far off the original performance was.

That said, I haven't noticed anything egregious in So There.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »
the best auto-tune is the kind you can't hear. it's in more places than you think, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:34:36 AM »
Regarding RTS production from his recent AMA:
"Suburbs was my wanting a production value that was mainstream and current. I felt as though if my music had something to say, it may as well be said through the current filter. I often worried that you'd hear my records in fifty years and assume they were from the 70s. So that was a phase for me. It was painful to be honest. In retrospect I think I was right. Produce the f*ck out of it like it's 2000 and be proud. It's a good record in my opinion and despite my wanting to quit every single night of that record, I think it's perfect. I also think the producer Ben Grosse is a complete bad ass and was very patient with me."

Offline Playhouse

• Doin' It Anyway!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
I can tell what you're picking up between "my" and "own" on those two phrases, but it sounds like natural voice to me rather than anything processed.
A one-hit wonder with no hits...

Hey, that's Oh-Ned-Er!