• 2 Replies

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Huntington, NY - November 1 2015
« on: November 02, 2015, 07:02:13 AM »
1. Beautiful Mechanical
2. So There
3. Long Way to Go
4. Not a Fan - "This is a song about the beginning, middle, and end of a two-week relationship." The piano intro is prerecorded - which he joked about by turning his back to the keyboard - so I guess he has trouble playing it live?
5. Effington - "I wrote this song about a town and then I realized it wasn't called that."
6. I'm Not the Man - Ben started this song, stopped after the first line - "that f*cking sucked" - and started over.
7. Rock This Bitch - One of the coolest renditions of Rock This Bitch I have ever heard. Ben rambled on a little bit here, said he was sleep deprived. Ended up as an awesome jam over an E7 chord.
8. Phone in a Pool - One of the interesting things here was that he said the phone was a Blackberry, which dated the story a little bit.
9. Mess
10. Music in Circles
11. Yes Man
12. Erase Me - The whole ensemble just brings the house down on this song. It's AWESOME. CJ's trumpet is SCREAMING.
13. Free Bird - This was an audience request which I thought would be a 30-second noodle on Free Bird, but then yMusic joined in and it lasted several minutes. He introduced the band through the lyrics.
14. Jesusland
15. Capable of Anything
16. Steven's Last Night in Town
17. You Don't Know Me

Encore:
18. Evaporated - Didn't know he was using this as an encore now! I really loved hearing this one.
19. Not the Same - Conducted the audience of course, and he no longer plays the piano during this song. He sat on the keyboard and sang. It was interesting.

NOTES:
  • Ben is sporting a much thicker beard than I have ever seen before. It reminded me of early 70s Elton, like on the cover of Honky Chateau.
  • Still drinking on stage, which does worry me. He said he was sleep deprived so maybe that's why he was out of it, but the past few shows I've seen involved him drinking a few glasses of scotch and being less "in it" than the shows I had seen before.
  • The opening act was boring as hell.
  • I thought that the little break in touring would mean more changes to the setlist, but it was by and large the same thing we saw in the first leg of the tour. A little disappointing, but a good show nonetheless.

Offline Kyle

Re: Huntington, NY - November 1 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:35:21 AM »
Thanks for the setlist.  Were you in the VIP area?  Was it worth it?

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Re: Huntington, NY - November 1 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 06:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the setlist.  Were you in the VIP area?  Was it worth it?
Not in the VIP area. Sat in the raised section toward the back of the concert hall. Honestly it's a beautiful venue and if I had to guess there probably isn't a bad seat in the house. VIP area doesn't seem like it would be worth it. When we got there, the GA area was not very full at all. If you waited on line you'd probably still be close to the stage.