Another album cut: Phone in a Pool

• 32 Replies

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Re: Another album cut: Phone in a Pool
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »
I hope this album isn't marred by bad production. I thought Capable of Anything sounded pretty good. I've said it before though, it would be wise to release a live album once this tour is done. Ben, yMusic, and Sam all seem to have a lot of good chemistry onstage and everything I've heard sounds fantastic.

Offline Allison

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »
Well do remember Phone in a Pool was recorded and added to the record last minute.
So recorded in a different place, produced at a different time, sung after two nights of back to back concerts, etc
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
Well do remember Phone in a Pool was recorded and added to the record last minute.
So recorded in a different place, produced at a different time, sung after two nights of back to back concerts, etc
Yeah. I think his voice might be a little more sensitive these days also. Sounded like his voice was giving out towards the end of the Bonnaroo gig.

Capable of Anything has a good sound, and lots of urgency in the recording. Energetic. So hopefully Phone in a Pool is the exception rather than the rule

Offline Allison

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
Yeah. I think his voice might be a little more sensitive these days also. Sounded like his voice was giving out towards the end of the Bonnaroo gig.

Capable of Anything has a good sound, and lots of urgency in the recording. Energetic. So hopefully Phone in a Pool is the exception rather than the rule

that and liquor isn't good for the vocal chords and whisky seems to be accompanying him on stage as of late

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 05:02:22 AM »
that and liquor isn't good for the vocal chords and whisky seems to be accompanying him on stage as of late

Said cup of booze spills on his keyboard during the Bonnaroo performance on Phone in a Pool.  He doesn't seem to notice immediately.  I hope he's not going Ted Kennedy on us!

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 05:33:18 AM »
Yeah, it definitely sounded like his voice was shot at the Bonnaroo gig.  Can't speak for how it sounded at any of the following gigs, but it was great a month before in Munhall (avec the whiskey as well).

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »

Indeed he has been drinking onstage lately! He was indulging in some scotch when I saw him in East Hampton NY last summer. Even asked someone offstage to get him more.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 05:09:50 PM »

Indeed he has been drinking onstage lately! He was indulging in some scotch when I saw him in East Hampton NY last summer. Even asked someone offstage to get him more.

I really don't wanna be one to pry into his life, he's always come across as a responsible guy, but I hope he ain't drinkin' too much!

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »
I still have high hopes for the album itself. Such a unique concept

Agreed. And as time has gone by I've grown on the LP cut of Phone. Still wish it had a bit more punch to it, but it'll get me there.

That track was originally earmarked for the forthcoming Ben Folds Band release, and was recorded in Ireland during those sessions. Folds liked it with yMusic though so it was stolen from that album and added to "So There."

I don't know if the whole song was re-recorded in Chicago after the church gig or they just recorded the yMusic bits.

Offline Allison

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »
It'll be interesting to see where Phone in a Pool lands in the track listing. I always like when albums have a good dynamic of intensity (Messner and Suburbs both to a supreme job at it), and 9/11 will tell.

Well. Probably earlier cause I'm sure a place like NPR will have it streaming a week in advance - but I will wait. I always wait till the physical copy arrives. 

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 04:01:01 PM »
It'll be interesting to see where Phone in a Pool lands in the track listing. I always like when albums have a good dynamic of intensity (Messner and Suburbs both to a supreme job at it), and 9/11 will tell.

Well. Probably earlier cause I'm sure a place like NPR will have it streaming a week in advance - but I will wait. I always wait till the physical copy arrives. 
Here is the track listing according to Amazon:

Capable Of Anything
    Not A Fan
    So There
    Long Way To Go
    Phone In A Pool
    Yes Man
    F10-D-A
    I'm Not The Man
    Concerto For Piano and Orchestra, Movement 1
    Concerto For Piano and Orchestra, Movement 2
    Concerto For Piano and Orchestra, Movement 3

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »

I can't remember if it was in one of little instagram videos or at Bonnaroo, but either way, at some point Ben said that Phone in a Pool is the first track on Side B of the first disc.

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »

Here is the track listing according to Amazon:

Capable Of Anything
    Not A Fan
    So There
    Long Way To Go
    Phone In A Pool
    Yes Man
    F10-D-A
    I'm Not The Man
    Concerto For Piano and Orchestra, Movement 1
    Concerto For Piano and Orchestra, Movement 2
    Concerto For Piano and Orchestra, Movement 3

Is F10-D-A the silly little improv thing that's at the very end of Ben's last Nerdist appearance?

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-ben-folds-3/

(Starts at 1:25:55)

It's a music theory joke and a penis joke at the same time  ;D

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 07:11:54 AM »
Hah, yeah, that's what I immediately thought of as well.  I assumed that was just an amusing album outtake they saved, not an actual track though... will be interesting to see how it fits in the overall vibe of the record.  I'm guessing very weirdly, to put it politely.  :P

First time I heard it it sounded like Regina Spektor's voice was the female popping up throughout it -- or am I just hearing things?

Offline Kyle

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
Phone in a Pool debuted on 90.9 The Bridge in Kansas City yesterday.