First post of the new year: Trailer for Ben's new album with yMusic

• 22 Replies
Re: First post of the new year: Trailer for Ben's new album with yMusic
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 06:09:52 PM »
I don't mind if they don't get back together. I do think Ben likes to "network" to keep his approach fresh. aka working with Hornby, The Five, yMusic... Robert and Darren are great musicians, great players, but the creative process in Ben's head is always pretty much the same.

Offline makiko

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
Ben Folds's latest project pays homage to Gershwin, 'the Elton John of his day'
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/12/ben-folds-gershwin-ymusic-classical

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »
I watched the Bonnaroo performance. Long Way to Go's chorus was originally part of the fake WTN sessions, on the title track! I always wondered why he edited that part out in the Stems and Seeds version. Well now I get it, he wanted to use it Fo Real

Offline Playhouse

• Doin' It Anyway!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
I watched the Bonnaroo performance. Long Way to Go's chorus was originally part of the fake WTN sessions, on the title track! I always wondered why he edited that part out in the Stems and Seeds version. Well now I get it, he wanted to use it Fo Real

First thing I thought of when I heard that title.  Oddly (or maybe not), that little bit was one of my favorite parts of the fake leaked WTN.
A one-hit wonder with no hits...

Hey, that's Oh-Ned-Er!

Offline Playhouse

• Doin' It Anyway!
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »
As for the Five, they did their album, toured together for over a year, and Ben mentioned how he'd had a number of projects already lined up when doing press for TSOTLOTM.  I don't think it's a matter of them not wanting to work together again as much as they've filled their schedules before they can turn back to doing more together.  Ben mentioned that they had about two more albums worth of stuff that came out of the sessions for TSOTLOTM.

Darren's still busy finishing up the next Hotel Lights album for release.  And Robert is doing his Robert thing.  With Ben touring with yMusic for the rest of 2015 and likely well into 2016, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a couple of years before we hear anything on a new Five project.
A one-hit wonder with no hits...

Hey, that's Oh-Ned-Er!

Offline Allison

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »
That Hotel Lights album is done, just not manufactured and whatnot. UGH I want itttttt
But you know Darren's busy touring with Sharon Van Etten, so I SUPPOSE
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 03:22:59 PM »
re: the Five, I like this analogy Ben made a few years ago:

“[Ben Folds Five] can be more like Neil Young and Crazy Horse, if I can be so pompous as to compare myself . . . He plays with Crazy Horse sometimes — sometimes he goes out in other forms. A Neil Young and Crazy Horse reunion doesn’t really need to be stated, it’s just like ‘Oh, he’s playing with them this time.’ That’s the way it really feels with [Ben Folds Five].”

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/09/the-rebirth-of-ben-folds-five/2/

Offline makiko

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 09:15:07 AM »
That Hotel Lights album is done, just not manufactured and whatnot. UGH I want itttttt
But you know Darren's busy touring with Sharon Van Etten, so I SUPPOSE
As far as I know, Darren is not touring with Sharon Van Etten since last April. I was fortunate to see him in Tokyo last February. But just after their Japan and Australia tour, Otto Hauser joined the SVE band as a drummer. So that's why Darren was in NYC when Sharon was touring Europe. I really hope he releases the next Hotel Lights album soon.