Yet another compilation album?

• 10 Replies

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Yet another compilation album?
« on: April 07, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/BenFolds/posts/10152731086797231

Looks like we'll be getting a Playlist: The Very Best of Ben Folds Five released in about a week. Am I the only one who thinks this is kinda overkill? BF5 only released four original albums, and it is pretty much wall-to-wall high quality work. I'm not sure how you can pare it down to one CD. Also, Retrospective wasn't released all that long ago, and that basically had everything you'd need from a "best of" compilation. I wonder what the tracklist could be.

Offline PonchoRavioli

Re: Yet another compilation album?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
1 Philosophy (4:34)
2 Brick (4:31)
3 Underground (4:31)
4 Kate (3:15)
5 Song for the Dumped (3:40)
6 Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head (3:19)
7 One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (3:52)
8 Army (3:25)
9 Don't Change Your Plans (5:20)
10 Video Killed the Radio Star (3:41)
11 Battle of Who Could Care Less [Live UNC Memorial Hall, Chapel Hill, NC, (3:23)
12 Tell Me What I Did (2:49)
13 Do It Anyway (4:22)
14 Jackson Cannery (3:39)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/playlist-the-very-best-of-ben-folds-five-ben-folds-five/28447730?ean=888750494627

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »
1 Philosophy (4:34)
2 Brick (4:31)
3 Underground (4:31)
4 Kate (3:15)
5 Song for the Dumped (3:40)
6 Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head (3:19)
7 One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (3:52)
8 Army (3:25)
9 Don't Change Your Plans (5:20)
10 Video Killed the Radio Star (3:41)
11 Battle of Who Could Care Less [Live UNC Memorial Hall, Chapel Hill, NC, (3:23)
12 Tell Me What I Did (2:49)
13 Do It Anyway (4:22)
14 Jackson Cannery (3:39)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/playlist-the-very-best-of-ben-folds-five-ben-folds-five/28447730?ean=888750494627

More specifics on the track list:
1. Philosophy
2. Brick [Album Version]
3. Underground [Live]
4. Kate [Live at WPLY]
5. Song for the Dumped
6. Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head [Live]
7. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces
8. Army [Album Version]
9. Don't Change Your Plans [Live at WXPN]
10. Video Killed the Radio Star
11. Battle of Who Could Care Less [Live UNC Memorial Hall, Chapel Hill, NC, 9/18/08]
12. Tell Me What I Did [New Recording 2011 [Previously Unreleased]
13. Do It Anyway
14. Jackson Cannery [Live at The Warfield, San Francisco, CA 1/31/13]

Interesting. An unreleased song on a Best of?

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:07 PM »
there's nothing unreleased here. Tell Me What I Did WAS unreleased back when it was recorded in 2011....they just didn't bother to update the file name they're using for the album. This is not an important release whatsoever. It's nothing more than a way for a label to make some money off material that's existed for a long time. It's a cheap, half ass greatest hits album. Just look at the album cover...a picture from a few years ago, quickly tossed together as "official album artwork" The Best Imitation of Myself, while also a greatest hits, was a PROPER record with thought put into it, filled with extra goodies. This one, not so much. Ever go to Wal-Mart and see the CD bargain bin with The Very Best of the Monkees! or something like that for $4.99? Here's the Ben Folds Five version.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
Hadn't heard this version of Don't Change Your Plans before.  I'd recommend downloading that track at least.  Decent recording quality, Flemming and John providing background parts (John on the flugelhorn solo; Flemming adds a background vocal line that's not on the studio version, sort of reminiscent of her BGV's on Carrying Cathy).

Didn't have this version of Kate either.  Pretty high energy, but Ben's voice is pretty shouty and he misses a word at one point.  

Agree with everyone else that the rest of this compilation is pointless.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »
Yeah, ditto to the above.

Offline ASentimentalGuy

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:24:54 PM »
So you guys have a point here.  This, plus The Best Imitation of Myself, plus 3 large Ben Folds Vault compilations released on iTunes, plus a live album which has alot of these songs, can you explain the reason?  I mea dont get me wrong I'm thrilled that there is obviously a demand for it, but still...is it too much?
Baby Boss: Climbs up on his Soap Box, but Great Caesar's Ghost knows whats best for me

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
So you guys have a point here.  This, plus The Best Imitation of Myself, plus 3 large Ben Folds Vault compilations released on iTunes, plus a live album which has alot of these songs, can you explain the reason?  I mea dont get me wrong I'm thrilled that there is obviously a demand for it, but still...is it too much?

The reason is that BF5 has reached the point in their career when their label can start packaging random compilations and releasing them on checkout stands in book stores and gas stations.

That's right folks, we're officially old!  ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 07:54:52 AM »
I don't know if the label is to 'blame' on this.

Firstly, I don't think it really matters that much to the fanbase, as it's not like they're releasing "Phil Collins Duets Ben Folds Five's Greatest Hits."

I think the inclusion of "Tell Me What I Did," as well as Ben Folds first pushing this out to his followers, suggests that the band is in favor of this, and that perhaps it's a way to generate some more royalties for the bandmembers, since there's no Ben Folds Five album in the foreseeable future (whereas there were hints a few years ago of something coming by now).

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
Please don't mistake my comment for a criticism - I think you took it far more negatively than it was intended to be.

Offline Allison

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »

The reason is that BF5 has reached the point in their career when their label can start packaging random compilations and releasing them on checkout stands in book stores and gas stations.

That's right folks, we're officially old!  ;)

That and I think Sony will cash in some chips now that Ben has really become free from them. Ben has always been a consistent seller for them and putting out new product (used lightly) that cost nothing to produce should be an easy way to generate SOMETHING, labels - especially the big 3 - are getting desperate
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!