Whatever & Ever ORANGE VINYL REISSUE

• 27 Replies

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Re: Whatever & Ever ORANGE VINYL REISSUE
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
Got my notification as well. Fingers crossed that it gets here intact, and that the remaster sounds good.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »
The self titled vinyl mastering sounded excellent, which is nice because so many of these wax reissues as of late have been total cash grabs and the records sound like shite (Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend," I'm looking at you).

From what I understand Folds was involved at least partially with the self titled reissue. He has been very silent about this one though, so I'm wondering how much of this is label-steered vs. artist approved.

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »
The self titled vinyl mastering sounded excellent, which is nice because so many of these wax reissues as of late have been total cash grabs and the records sound like shite (Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend," I'm looking at you).

From what I understand Folds was involved at least partially with the self titled reissue. He has been very silent about this one though, so I'm wondering how much of this is label-steered vs. artist approved.
Yeah, the self-titled was surprisingly good, given Plain Recordings had a pretty bad track record before it.

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 02:55:35 PM »
Just got mine today. Sounds great, looks pretty. I would definitely recommend picking a copy of this up, maybe on black vinyl since the orange was limited.

Offline jpar

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 07:01:31 PM »
Got mine as well, and I must say I'm a little disappointed. The audio is the digital remaster from a few years back, which didn't cut over to vinyl as well as I would have liked. No real improvement over the original pressing, which wasn't the case with the first album. The packaging (especially the back side) looks to be a scanned copy of the original artwork, which has allowed for some fuzziness. I've posted some examples over on Twitter (@jpar0) because the files are too large for the Burbs image uploader.

If you don't have the first pressing, by all means, get a copy. If you do, unless you're an insane completist like myself you can skip this release.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »
yeah, i was definitely a little disappointed. it was the only main studio album LP i still needed, but i was kind of hoping for a little more care in the reissue. it's fine, just nothing incredible.

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »
I emailed ORG Music about these concerns - the blurry sleeve and the digital remaster being used - and here's what they had to say:

Regarding the jacket, we unfortunately had no choice but to use a scan that was provided by Sony. They did not have the original artwork files. This is typical for most of the reissues that we do, however, we're usually able to recreate the art in a way that is just as (if not more) vivid than the original. This artwork in particular already had an element of graininess to it, and because the font is handwritten, recreating it was not an option. As for the audio, we used the highest resolution master available to us, which was a digital transfer from tape (also provided by Sony). As you may know, most of our reissues are mastered from analog tape, but the tapes were not available to us for this release.  We always try to provide the best quality product, given our limitations - which vary from title to title.

They offered me a refund if I wanted to return the record, but I'm not gonna return it since I like the orange vinyl. Oh well.

Offline jpar

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Sutter. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent release - just falls a little short for me given the quality of the self titled reissue. I wouldn't dream of returning my copy because I get they did the best with what was available - I just wish they'd been given the chance to release a more deluxe package for arguably the biggest release in Folds' career to date.

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »
i find it odd that they didn't have the original artwork files. how are they still printing it on cds all these years later?

and personally I don't see a problem with how it looks. the orange vinyl is BEAUTIFUL too.

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 03:38:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Sutter. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent release - just falls a little short for me given the quality of the self titled reissue. I wouldn't dream of returning my copy because I get they did the best with what was available - I just wish they'd been given the chance to release a more deluxe package for arguably the biggest release in Folds' career to date.
Folds seems like the kind of guy who would eventually let everything loose and release it all at some point. There's too much there not to put it out there, even just as a digital release.

Offline jpar

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
I'd argue that's what the Vault release and deluxe "Best Imitation" packages are.

I'd wager he's very conscious about releasing material he doesn't feel is "ready for primetime." Recall the bootlegs from the first couple of nights on the WtN tour - he asked the community to not circulate them in exchange for him releasing two shows he felt better fit what he wanted to hear.

I don't think we'll get it all, but I wouldn't write off the chance we'll see another well-curated collection of rarities, out-takes, and live cuts in a couple of years.

Offline Allison

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 10:05:32 PM »

I don't think we'll get it all, but I wouldn't write off the chance we'll see another well-curated collection of rarities, out-takes, and live cuts in a couple of years.

I always could go for another one of those. Or even a well put together "Live from last night" kind of thing.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »

I always could go for another one of those. Or even a well put together "Live from last night" kind of thing.

I'd love a proper "B-Sides" collection on vinyl

Eddie Walker
Emaline
Bad Idea
Tom and Mary
Mitchell Lane
For All The Pretty People
Dr Pyser
Video Killed the Radio Star
She Don't Use Jelly
Birds
Leather Jacket