Transcript Challenge: Break-up at Food Court

• 3 Replies
Transcript Challenge: Break-up at Food Court
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
Just wondering if anyone out there worked out the chords of the Break-up at Food Court demo from the Best Imitation of myself or if someone wrote up sheet music? I love the music, and I want to try to finish the lyrics on my own.  :)

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Re: Transcript Challenge: Break-up at Food Court
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »
Bam! Here are the chords, I'll try to map out the synth solo in a little bit.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
Thanks very much Sutter for doing this. One more favor to ask and kind of embarrassed to ask. I am still a relative novice when it comes to piano and more used to sheet music where I write out the individual notes and then play the chords. I know some of the basic chords, but other than the G flat 6, I don't know the individual notes that make up the remainder of the "add 4" chords for the rest of the song. Also are there specific notes on the bass that correspond to those chords? Again, kind of embarrassed in asking, but I would appreciate the help/explanation.

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 07:50:36 PM »
Thanks very much Sutter for doing this. One more favor to ask and kind of embarrassed to ask. I am still a relative novice when it comes to piano and more used to sheet music where I write out the individual notes and then play the chords. I know some of the basic chords, but other than the G flat 6, I don't know the individual notes that make up the remainder of the "add 4" chords for the rest of the song. Also are there specific notes on the bass that correspond to those chords? Again, kind of embarrassed in asking, but I would appreciate the help/explanation.
Here's some info:

The "add4" chords I wrote in mean you literally add the 4th of the root into the chord. Like so:

If an Fm7 is F-Ab-C-Eb, you play that chord as F-Ab-Bb-C-Eb.
If a Ebm7 is Eb-Gb-Bb-Db, you play that chord as Eb-Gb-Ab-Bb-Db.
If a Bbm7 is Bb-Db-F-Ab, you play that chord as Bb-Db-Eb-F-Ab.

The bass notes for each chord are just the root as indicated. In special situations I added notes that look like this:

Code: [Select]
Gb6                         Fm7add4
     I tried to do it on Saturday
Ebm7add4              /Ab  /A  Bbm7add4
         Say it all and then be  on        my way

For those /Ab and /A, you should be playing the last chord I wrote - in this case, Ebm7add4 - but moving the bass note to the /Ab, /A, etc. That happens in the intro as well. That is just an approximation of Sledge's moving bass line. Listen to the recording to get a feel for it.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)