Ben Folds at the Barbican 06/07/14, w/Heritage Orchestra

• 10 Replies

Offline PianaRules

Ben Folds at the Barbican 06/07/14, w/Heritage Orchestra
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:47:32 AM »
Wonderful night!  ;D My first time seeing him live, went with my best friend (and new recruit to the ways of Ben) and had a brilliant time. Heritage Orchestra was amazing, it must be said at his point - focused, flourished and when they needed to be, flexible! Especially when someone uttered that famous phrase…

And, jeez, did he Rock This Bitch - the ovations kept coming! He played I think the 2nd and 3rd movement of his concerto - and for those who haven't heard it, you're in for a treat - visually and aurally. It was a joy to see him gleefully slamming the keys and hitting the wires and I look forward to many to come. He must of liked us too - he came back for two encores! Just stunning and unreal to hear and see him after him just living in my iTunes. Setlist, as best I remember it, below:

Effington (Sam did the opening bit on his own bless him and got a big laugh)
Smoke
Jesusland
Picture Window (For Nick Hornby who was in last night with his family, and who afterwards, admired the same sculpture as us int he foyer)
Concerto Mov. 2 & 3 (big intro to this, lots of funny stuff, called Tchaikovsky 'badassed')
Steven's Last Night in Town (complete with Ben's Scouse accent in the intro!)

Intermission

Zak and Sara (Expecting this in the first half, so.relieved.)
Gracie (Nice opening to this too, talked about how pleased the twins are to have diff. birthdays - says one is Cancer and the other, Asparagus. I don't think he likes astrology)
Rock This Bitch (lovely 1st and 2nd violins counterpointing, and a shoutout to the guy that shouted out- "It's your fault if it goes wrong!" - Best friend mouth agape at his ability to compose on the spot. Breathtaking)
Not The Same (usual choir conducting that goes silly at the end - it's hard to sing when you're laughing so much)
Brick (big fave, obvs. Clapped)
Landed (Great with the violins - added bonus of my best friend, who is an amazing singer, harmonising quietly next to me. Eyes watered.)
One Angry Dwarf (Barnstorming - and a amped up arrangement, I feel, to previous incarnations. Brilliant. Lots of awkward English Clapping)

* Ovation 1 and applause*

Encore W/ Orchestra: The Luckiest (Ben came back on "Thanks, Y'all" etc, and said "We know one more don't we guys? For this spontaneous encore?"

*Ovation 2 and applause*

Encore Without Orchestra: Army My highlight - I think we were a musical audience - we clapped in time anyway, and the orchestra were surprised at our improvised horn section - and yes, to all, you're right- screaming "GOD PLEASE SPARE ME MORE REJECTION!" is stonkingly good fun! Nothing awkward and English about me and my best friend at this point, we were the only ones in our row near the front, standing and clapping. Big finish and off he swept. The stuff of bucket lists. Could snuff it right now and be happy.

Tim Minchin was there too, overheard something like "Music Machine"  as in "the man is a" - I agree, Tim.

Cheers! And here's to many more fan-TASTIC concerts!!

Pic Below: Ben Folds In Conference with the Heritage Orchestra about the ins and outs of 'Rock This Bitch'.

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
Re: Ben Folds at the Barbican 06/07/14, w/Heritage Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:17:03 AM »
Random trivia - the orchestra at this date was the same one that Minchin toured with (and is on his DVD).

Offline PianaRules

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:16 AM »
Ah, makes sense now yes - they did seem really relaxed with arrangements. And they're great, the most unstuffiest of orchestras, for example they took to Rock This Bitch amazingly!  and a video has emerged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlpnvwZvk6s

\m/

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:14:06 AM »
What time did he come on stage on Sunday? Am going to Manchester on Thursday and 7.30 is cutting it a bit fine!!

Offline PianaRules

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 06:04:18 AM »
Well, the concert was slated to start at 7:30 - it then got changed to 8:00 closer to the date, and he came on just after 8, pretty promptly!

Have a great one in Manchester, it is clearly going to be brilliant  :)

Offline Allison

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:27:41 AM »
I am glad you all had such a great time!
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Well, the concert was slated to start at 7:30 - it then got changed to 8:00 closer to the date, and he came on just after 8, pretty promptly!

Have a great one in Manchester, it is clearly going to be brilliant  :)

Thanks for the info. Can't wait till tomorrow now!!

Offline Damian

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »
Well, the Bristol show was similarly amazing.  Same setlist as above minus The Luckiest, because the show had to start 15 minutes late due to traffic problems in Bristol.  Those problems were so bad that I bet some people still missed some of it - fortunately I live in the centre and can walk everywhere.  He claimed that the concerto was the whole thing (not just movements 2/3) so perhaps that was different from London - having not heard it before I can't confirm.  It was something else, that's for sure.  He's listened to a lot of Gershwin.

The Rock This Bitch element was based on some local toilets (and the big sign for them) that has become a standing joke for Ben, and he mentions it every time he comes here.  The lyrics were written in advance this time rather than being made up on the spot.  That's about it really, was fantastic.

Offline PianaRules

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »
I am glad you all had such a great time!

I totally did, thanks, Allison!  ;D

Well, the Bristol show was similarly amazing.  Same setlist as above minus The Luckiest, because the show had to start 15 minutes late due to traffic problems in Bristol.  Those problems were so bad that I bet some people still missed some of it - fortunately I live in the centre and can walk everywhere.  He claimed that the concerto was the whole thing (not just movements 2/3) so perhaps that was different from London - having not heard it before I can't confirm.  It was something else, that's for sure.  He's listened to a lot of Gershwin.

The Rock This Bitch element was based on some local toilets (and the big sign for them) that has become a standing joke for Ben, and he mentions it every time he comes here.  The lyrics were written in advance this time rather than being made up on the spot.  That's about it really, was fantastic.

Sounds beyond brilliant! Ha, the famous toilets! Once he hits on a theme, huh? :)

Yes done a bit o' research and I think Ben did the concerto in it's entirety at the Barb too - amazing wasn't it? Overwhelming to the extent that a concerto is more rigidly modulated with movements, but you're not really thinking about that at the time, really, are you? I certainly wasn't! Oh, definitely Gershwin, and a very Romantic hook. Sad that it was shortened slightly, but it sounded like it was fantastic! Nice one!

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:26:23 AM »
Manchester set list the same as the other nights with the orchestra. Solo encores were Kate and Rocking the Suburbs. The ad lib bit was based on two audience members reading the hall's fire safety procedures as Ben made up the rest with the orchestra, very impressive. A Great night as usual.

Offline Ootini

• Sandcrawler II - Assistant Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:05 PM »
Gateshead very similar, although seemingly a bit longer. As far as I can remember:

Effington (Whole Orchestra did the opening)
Smoke
Jesusland
Picture Window
Piano Concerto
Steven's Last Night in Town

Intermission - Entertaining in its own right, watching the two people in front of my wife and I taking selfies with a tiny Ben Folds they'd cut out of a flyer for the show.

Zak and Sara
Cigarette
Fred Jones Pt. II
Gracie (He mentioned that Gracie wakes up with music in his head like he does, and played us a recording she'd made from his phone)
Not The Same
Brick
Rock This Bitch (The concert master provided a theme that he composed around)
Landed
One Angry Dwarf

Encore 1:

The Luckiest

Encore 2:

Philosophy
Army