Army *pocketed* and lyric question

• 3 Replies

Offline PianaRules

Army *pocketed* and lyric question
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »
Hellooo,

So I wanted to learn how to play a BF/BF5 song on the old piano, and I've been playing since I was wee, but only classical stuff. So, in truth, I was looking to play my one and only cover of this 'pop music' you young'uns talk of. So, that was February and I had to lean heavily on my local library's copy of 'Play Piano With Ben Folds', reissued many, many times.

My weapon of choice: Army. It sounds hilarious with my naturally low, cut glass english accent, but I have *drumroll* learnt the entire thing. Eyyy. Two things:

1) There are no copies of music books and sheet music to own and buy straight out (only in with compilations) in the UK. Sadface, look to USA. This is what I'm doing right now. I NEED Fair.

2) In chorus one of the Album version on TUBORM, does Ben sing 'it was only fifteen grand, SPENT IN BED' or 'it was only fifteen grand SPINNING BAD' as it says in my book which makes me incredulous like this  ???

Anyway, many thanks for reading me twaddling on, who knows if i'm feeling brave I may inflict a recording of my singing it on here…just gotta get the bloody ragtime solo right…. ::)

Offline Sutter

• Blue Skies in Ditmas
Re: Army *pocketed* and lyric question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
The lyric is definitely "spent in bed." If the book says otherwise, it's wrong.

If you have access to a printer you can get the sheet music for Fair using the attached files, and a copy of the free Noteworthy Composer Viewer. "Fair.nwc" appears to be the entire song, while "Fair 1.nwc" appears to be either shortened or simplified.

Offline PianaRules

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:11:46 AM »
Well, aren't you awesome.  :)

Many thanks, this is great! On both counts, I KNEW he couldn't have been saying that, dumb book where did it get that from. I changed some of the chords too, to my ear they didn't sound right, bad book, bad. ::)

But this has really made my day, thanks for the Fair apparatus, I am going to have some FUN.  ;D

Offline AmateurHour1999

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:36:54 PM »
Here is a MIDI file of Fair too if you don't have the NWC program.
I see that there is evil, and I know that there is good, and the in-betweens are never understood!