Leeds 01/12/12

• 11 Replies
Leeds 01/12/12
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:24:42 PM »
Hi All, just getting into the groove ready for Saturday - can't wait, and I believe that the band's jet lag has now worn off too  ;)

I am afraid that I don't post much, but am absolutely made up that my Ben Odyssey has now gone full circle.  After the Sheffield gig last Feb I posted the following:

doodledog

Re: Sheffield 26th February 2011

I have to admit that I am a long time 'lurker' on this site having been a Ben fan for quite some time and been to at least a dozen different gigs over the years.  I first saw BF5 in the Leadmill in Sheffield way back when......at a gig that Ben himself recalls because "some ****** stole my shoe!" (ps it wasn't me, honest).          I took the whole family tribe to this gig - wife and teenage daughter were Ben virgins, but 17 year old son first saw Ben with me in Manchester Apollo at the tender age of 11 (Bitches ain't sh*t was a bit tricky to explain then  LOL). 

Well my son is now all grown up and studying bass guitar at Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester.  As luck would have it, Ben was in Manchester at an art gallery today and Alasdair got to meet him.  He related the shoe story (which Ben remembered) and as a result got Ben to sign his trainer - see photo.  What an excellent sport and all round good guy!

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A80Nj8XCEAAYALP.jpg:large

So Leeds will be another epic family outing - we can't wait!

PS Ben, if you're reading, we've GOT to have Selfless, Cold and Composed  \m/

Re: Leeds 01/12/12
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 12:03:50 AM »
Great story! Seems that you've "trainered" your family well, and are "pumped" up for the gig! (Sorry!!)

Offline Allison

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »
Great story! Seems that you've "trainered" your family well, and are "pumped" up for the gig! (Sorry!!)

I can't even. What a perfect response.

Also. Welcome out of the lurkdome doodledog, and familyFoldsAdventures are fantastic. I've taken both my siblings to multiple shows. It's best that way!
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Barney_Tabasco

• Indoctrinated by fishmongers at the age of 11.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:14:10 AM »
Oops, just posted this in Glasgow thread by accident. Anyway...

What time have the guys been coming on stage for this tour? Off to Leeds tonight but on a tight schedule.

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:03 AM »
SO excited for Leeds! Sitting listening to The Sound of Life and Mind now (as haven't really heard it enough!) Two hour road trip to Leeds (maybe 2 and a half) I'm sure they'll be awesome! So glad I can walk without my crutches...
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
No complaints at all!  OUTSTANDING GIG!

Absolutely brilliant to see The Five in action again - they were every bit as energetic and capable as I remember them way back when in Sheffield.  Set list I will leave to somebody else, but seemed to be pretty much as elsewhere, although sadly without Kate / Emaline / Tom and Mary.  However, we did get a real bonus with Magic, and the extended playout on Narcolepsy was awesome!

Happy and hoarse now!  \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

PS I have also now seen the signed trainer (see original post)- great piano doodle as well as the signature!

Offline Ootini

• Sandcrawler II - Assistant Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »
That really was a great gig. Really solid, energetic playing from all of them. Those three just *work* in a way Ben's solo bands never did. Great to see them live again. Plus I got a great spot up front. :-)

Like doodledog said, setlist similar to other nights. Also had a Rock This Bitch that started off poorly but turned into a great audience participation with round singing.

Another highlight for me was the audience spontaneously breaking into the vocal horns from Army to summon the band back to the stage for the encore. :-)

Offline Hanny

• (8) Laugh all you want, I got my philosophy! (8)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:18:23 AM »
Leeds was awesome. The five were awesome. I've seen Ben 7 times and I've never seen him enjoy himself so much!

Great atmosphere, loved the crowd's encore. Loved hearing Philosophy and Underground as the original band. Loved that they played Uncle Walter (cast my eyes up to my 12 year old sis in the balcony at that point, she loves that one.) Army was classic as ever. New stuff is really strong live too. Overall fab gig!
~ Make me feel tiny if it makes you feel tall but there's always someone cooler than you ~

*~ Han ~*

...smoke...

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »
After waiting years, I finally got to see BFF last night and they were absolutely astounding! Managed to get practically right to the front - Bitter Ruin were a great opening act, but the Five just blew everything out of the water - Rock This Bitch in Leeds ended up amazing after the slightly disappointing start, the inclusion of Magic was a brilliant surprise, but I think the biggest shock for me was hearing Robert Sledge flawlessly jamming to Megadeth's Peace Sells on bass! (Was hoping we were going to get a special cover version but unfortunately that wasn't to be :( ) However, definitely the best show I have ever seen, well worth the wait :D

Oh, and the extended Narcolepsy solo was sublime!

Offline Damian

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 06:41:40 AM »
I've heard a few people complaining that the sound was bad in Leeds, so it's nice to hear positive reports...

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »
Sound quality was very much dependent on where you were standing - the venue has an upstairs, so the area below that (by the mixing desk) traps the sound and gives a very boomy feel.  Head further towards the mosh pit and the room opens up and so the mix becomes much better. 

Sadly, another issue on the night was the abundance of lager-swilling neanderthals who were not at all interested in listening to the slower stuff and chatted all the way through Thank You For Breaking My Heart  >:(.  Thankfully the sheer intensity and poignancy of Brick shut them up!  ;D

Offline mrs.jones

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 05:31:14 AM »
Back in Germany, had an awesome time in England with 4 BFF Shows. We started our road-trip in Leeds and ended it in London, and I enjoyed every show very much! So great to see them finally live and hearing all those wonderful harmonies. Higlights for me were Alice Childress, Magic, Sky High, Thank you for breaking my heart.

Rock this Bitch was great in Leeds, esp. with the Audience participation at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf4aiQmPNi0&feature=share&list=UUq79vuwkBXvPCjBhoBZXCgQ

Another highlight for me was the audience spontaneously breaking into the vocal horns from Army to summon the band back to the stage for the encore. :-)

Great Moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ewbLZQNBGM&feature=share&list=UUq79vuwkBXvPCjBhoBZXCgQ

I took some more videos from the 4 shows, you can find them on my youtube-channel.