Philosophy

• 5 Replies
Philosophy
« on: November 27, 2012, 04:53:07 AM »
It just struck me that in all the times that I've watched Ben Folds (Five and solo), the piano solo at the end has always been the Misrilou version, EXCEPT on Saturday in Nottingham where he did the original album version. Can anyone else confirm this, or am I finally going mad?

Offline Damian

Re: Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:05:52 AM »
It just struck me that in all the times that I've watched Ben Folds (Five and solo), the piano solo at the end has always been the Misrilou version, EXCEPT on Saturday in Nottingham where he did the original album version. Can anyone else confirm this, or am I finally going mad?
Didn't it used to generally be both, and now it's just the original?

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:17:11 AM »
Maybe it was just luck of the draw! I don't ever recall hearing the album version live before  ;D

Offline Damian

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »
Maybe it was just luck of the draw! I don't ever recall hearing the album version live before  ;D
Well, this is the first time I've heard it played "straight" but I seem to recall it always used to be the Misirlou thing, then it would go back into the original Rhapsody In Blue bit.  My brain could be playing tricks on me though.

Offline Ziggysane

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
As far as I know from old shows, Ben and Co didn't do the Misirlou bit for "Philosophy" because "Misirlou" was used in "Pyser" at least as far back as the WEEA shows. (There are some rare early versions of "Pyser", like the one that opens Spare Reels, where Ben plays a completely different solo during the middle section before "Misirlou" became standard.)  "Misrilou" didn't show up in "Philosophy" until the solo tour.  After that it became standard for solo *and* full band renditions.  However, the coupling of the two resulted in Ben actually concluding at least a few 2008 performances of "Philosophy" with the ending of "Pyser" instead of returning to "Rhapsody." (He definitely did this when I saw him in Adrian, MI that year.)

Offline Damian

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:42:22 AM »
As far as I know from old shows, Ben and Co didn't do the Misirlou bit for "Philosophy" because "Misirlou" was used in "Pyser" at least as far back as the WEEA shows. (There are some rare early versions of "Pyser", like the one that opens Spare Reels, where Ben plays a completely different solo during the middle section before "Misirlou" became standard.)  "Misrilou" didn't show up in "Philosophy" until the solo tour.  After that it became standard for solo *and* full band renditions.  However, the coupling of the two resulted in Ben actually concluding at least a few 2008 performances of "Philosophy" with the ending of "Pyser" instead of returning to "Rhapsody." (He definitely did this when I saw him in Adrian, MI that year.)
I think it's fair to say I defer to your greater knowledge.  :)