Thank You For Breaking My Heart TRANSCRIPTION

• 13 Replies
Thank You For Breaking My Heart TRANSCRIPTION
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:15:47 AM »
Greetings, all. Long time Ben Folds/BF5 fan from Western Australia here, and a new addition to the forum. Just thought I'd pop in to share a transcription of Thank You For Breaking My Heart that I completed recently. Feel free to let me know if you can see any inaccuracies that should be ammended, especially the choices between sharps or flats for the accidentals (eg. choosing between D# and Eb), since I'm not 100% sure what the rule of thumb should be there.

Offline AlexKintzle

Re: Thank You For Breaking My Heart TRANSCRIPTION
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »
it depends on what key your in that you choose accidentals. if you're in a sharp key then D# if flat then Eb. hoped that helps
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
I see what you mean.

Thanks. The file has now been replaced with the latest correct-as-far-as-I-can-tell version.  :)

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 02:52:39 PM »
yeah it's just a guideline. i mean you could put in an Eb but in the key of G it'd be weird seeing a flat in a sharp key.
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »
otherwise great work man

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 06:38:44 AM »
From a brief look, this looks pretty good, though I think I can see a couple of places where you've simplified the chords a little.

Need to find a printer to be able to have a proper look at this and give a bit more feedback, which I'll probably never get around to to be honest, but I just wanted to say that you should DEFINITELY use Bb's and Eb's instead of A#'s and D#'s. It's just horrible with those sharps.

There's nothing wrong with using flats in a sharp key. It's all about context. And in the harmonic context of this song there are Eb and Cm chords. Not D# and B#m chords. The C#'s are fine though.

Good work though, and thanks, but please take the above on board!

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:39:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. My music theory skills are a bit rusty in places, so I'm doing the occasional transcription as a learning experience as much as anything else. Another revision of the accidentals may be on the way soon.

I'm curious to know where you think I've simplified the chords. Here it is in midi form in case that makes things easier.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »
Hi Uke,

Apologies, as I was a bit hasty in saying it seemed like you'd simplified the chords. As you know, the chords are pretty simple anyway, so it'd be hard for you to have simplified them any more.

But I've had a proper look at this now, and it is very well done indeed, and accurate to 95%+ I'd say. Of course, the bits that are 'wrong', are not wrong; they sound absolutely fine, and no-one would know they were wrong unless they forensically examined Ben's playing.

But in the interests of helping you try to make this as close to 100% accurate as possible, I'l try to point out where I think things could be improved:

17-20 - The higher Gs are played pretty much as quavers with the Ds, and are in the right hand
23-25 - I think the G is a dotted minim, only played on the first beat of each bar, so it's just the C and D that are repeated every time (though this naturally varies a bit throughout the song)
33 - A, B, C in the right hand
52 - Left hand, A on the first beat only
53 - No Es in the left hand at all
56-57 - Just G and E for the left hand chords
57 - B, D, F#, A in the right hand

78-80 and 83-85 - Left hand, I think it's just the low C rather than the octave, but it's difficult to tell
88 - G, B, C, A in the right hand
89-90 - You're missing the C in the right hand. G, A, C, E.
107-108 - 4ths in the left hand: C, F, then G, C
111-112 - No upper C in the left hand, just G and D
112 - E, G, B, D in the right hand
113 - B, D, F#, A in the right hand
115-116 - B, C, E in the right hand. LH does A then G on the first and 3rd beats
117-118 - Fine, but I'd put the F# in the LH
119-120 - B, C, E in the RH

139-140 - No upper C in the LH, just G and E
140 - B, D, E, G in the RH
141-142 - No upper B in the LH, just F# and D
143- No upper C in the LH, just G and E
144 - No upper C in the LH, just G and D
145-146 - No upper B in the LH, just F# and D
147-148 - No upper C in the LH, just G and E
148 - just B and E in the RH
149 - No upper B in the LH, just F# and D
150 - C, F#, A in the RH

Think that's about it!

Obviously some of the bits I've mentioned are repeated elsewhere, where I may not have mentioned it. And equally obviously (I hope) I'm not trying to say that all this is 100% accurate - in most of the cases where the chords are repeated for the the 3 quavers in the bar, he changes it up a little as to which notes in the chord are stressed, and I've not really gone into that too much - but there's a lot in there that's definitely right and an improvement on what you've done.

As you can tell, I very much enjoy this kind of thing, and I hope you don't take my corrections and this post as being a criticism of what you've done, because it absolutely isn't. I absolutely adore this song and coincidentally had just started seriously figuring out exactly how to play it (am planning on recording my own version) when I came across your excellent transcription. So it was a bit of serendipitous timing really.

:)

Offline oneangrylars

• i play piano
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »
Wow. That's just stunning. Beautiful!
Thank you so much!! Not for breaking my heart but for spending your time to transcribe this! ;)
do it anyway

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
I'm trying to download the transcription, but it is just 404ing...Does anyone have a valid link? Thanks :)

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 06:05:21 AM »
Sorry for the 404s. I'll get them fixed!

[EDIT: These two fixed, other attachments fixing as I type. Let me know if you find any other broken ones.]

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »
it depends on what key your in that you choose accidentals. if you're in a sharp key then D# if flat then Eb. hoped that helps

Except in this case is is a C minor chord with a G bass, D# makes little sense.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 07:22:01 AM »
Thanks so much for transcribing this - it plays really well. Unfortunately the PDF file seems to be corrupt at the moment. I've downloaded it twice and opened it using both Adobe Reader and the built-in Windows 8 reader tool, and it's telling me there are errors in the file. I can only view pages 1,3 and part of 5.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »
For anybody who comes across this page and still wants to find the sheet music (with a working file), I've redone the original poster's transcription based off the MIDI and updated it with Stav's suggestions.  Let me know if anybody has further corrections and I'll add them and re-upload the sheet.