Amber light from robot but*hole on Colbert report last night Oct 1,2012

• 6 Replies

Offline TrashSpork

Thanks Andy for putting up the link to the video. I'm slow on the internets so it was a nice surprise to have it available for view so early after their performance. Still...the amber light placement near the robots butt was peculiar...thank "The Great BenFolio" for altering my thought process over the years thru twitter and facebook that I notice such things.
I like toast!

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
Re: Amber light from robot but*hole on Colbert report last night Oct 1,2012
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
Is it just me, or did all the "practice" the guys did the last four days leading up to this not pay off? The song felt a little flat. I blame a rental piano and weird audio mixing.

Offline Brian Golley

• Peace and harmony, man.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »
I can't view this from Aus, can anyone school me on how to get around it?

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
Is it just me, or did all the "practice" the guys did the last four days leading up to this not pay off? The song felt a little flat. I blame a rental piano and weird audio mixing.

Same.  Also feel like the drums need to drive that song and Darren played pretty tentatively.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »

Same.  Also feel like the drums need to drive that song and Darren played pretty tentatively.

Well it was a poor setup. There's typically a shield helping keep some of the drums from bleeding too much on tv appearances like this, and there wasn't one here.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:40:41 AM »

I just got around to watching the episode tonight and I felt the exact same way. While watching it, it just felt like something was missing. I also felt that the drums weren't as prominent as they needed to be. With the such small setup in the studio, I think it really muted the sound as well. I know at the show it sounded really tight and it shined through as a great live performance, but I too blame the setup here for the sub-par sound that came across on television.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 02:13:08 AM »

I just got around to watching the episode tonight and I felt the exact same way. While watching it, it just felt like something was missing. I also felt that the drums weren't as prominent as they needed to be. With the such small setup in the studio, I think it really muted the sound as well. I know at the show it sounded really tight and it shined through as a great live performance, but I too blame the setup here for the sub-par sound that came across on television.

I thought Ben's vocals were just a TINY bit too prominent in the mix. That being said, I think he NAILED it vocally. I'm always worried about the screams in that song, not an easy thing to pull off!