17. Kate
18. Song For The Dumped
19. Army
====
20. Underground
21. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

Re: 9/28 - Kansas City!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:52:03 AM »
For my first time seeing them as The Five, that was pretty much all I could have wanted. They sounded great, played a tight set, impossibly barreled on from one piano shredder to another with no improvs and little banter. Just look at those last eight songs - such a strong, rocking finish. Best Imitation of Myself was a big surprise. The new songs sounded excellent, with Draw A Crowd being a big crowd pleaser. Awesome show indeed!

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 02:41:50 PM »
Yeah, I think that was the first time I've seen Imitation live! :D

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:07:49 AM »
Are they doing Imitation straight, or the old "doo-wop" version that they used to bring out? (The difference being that the first verse is a capella)

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:22 AM »
Just like on the album

(BTW, he said they're going to be on Colbert Report tonight (Monday) and will be performing Do It Anyway, but they they'll be doing Best Imitation Of Miself with Colbert, and that will be available online later.)

Offline Kyle

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »
Here's the Kansas City Star's show review: "Ben Folds Five throws a manic, nostalgic reunion party"

Very positive show review, with the exception of the mixing.

As for my own review, the show was great but not exceptional.  I think I've seen Ben Folds so many times that its simply hard to be exceptional and have each show one-up the previous show.  I was thrilled to see Ben Folds Five again because its been my dream for 12 years.  To me, they've always been better as a group than as individuals even though they make great music individually.

I feel like they really lived up to my absurdly high expectations.  They play together great, and all three compliment and build on each other's talents.  I thought everything sounded great.  Harmonies were great.  Energy was excellent.  It did feel just like Ben Folds Five from years back.  Sledge was high energy, dancing everywhere.  Darren was tight on the drums.  The drumstick toss from Ben to Darren during Army may end up being my favorite part because it was so damn smooth.

I only have a few minor complaints about the show.  There was really no banter, no stories, and no jamming.  They pounded through the set list.  Compared to Ben Folds solo shows, it felt like something was missing without the banter and jamming.  The set list was great, and once it got going it really got going.  I do think it could have used a few more songs.  The total show time was around 1:40.  Maybe a couple more during the encore?

Anyway, I had a blast and it was a great show. It was great to see BF5 back together again.  I hope it's not the last time they are together again!

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:23 AM »
I think onstage banter between them might occur less frequently as they are all in their 40s and are likely thinking about other family members and plans , projects, and their to do lists and whatnot while they are out on the road on tour (household bills, kids...dr apts)...easier to get in the moment when one is is there 20's and 30s and a bit more difficult (but not impossible) when most are in their 40s. It is also likely why they may not hang out after shows or before them as much as folks would like...they are probably on their phones texting/talking/facetiming/skyping...etc to their loved ones. Still there will always be exceptions (there are few absolutes) and there may be a show here and there that goes on for 3 hours if they are all firing on the same cylinders at the same show. When most folks are in their 40s there time is in demand by their wives (or girlfriends), kids, and by their aging parents.. Just my opinion...I could be wrong.  ;)
I like toast!

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »
pretty much the exact same set from the chicago show
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 05:09:20 PM »
The Iowa and Chicago shows were full of stories and banter. Starlight has a pretty strict "stop playing by this time" rule so the guys were working to get as many songs as possible in while under those guidelines.

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »
The Iowa and Chicago shows were full of stories and banter....
So there ya go..... I was wrong     ;)
I like toast!

Offline Kyle

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 04:53:20 AM »
The Iowa and Chicago shows were full of stories and banter. Starlight has a pretty strict "stop playing by this time" rule so the guys were working to get as many songs as possible in while under those guidelines.

I really don't like Starlight for concerts.  Too bad they weren't at Crossroads... That place is awesome for concerts.  No curfew!

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »

I really don't like Starlight for concerts.  Too bad they weren't at Crossroads... That place is awesome for concerts.  No curfew!

My only gripe w/ Crossroads is their prices for EVERYTHING are super high.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »
My only problem with this show was that I was the only person in the front row center section that stood up for anything. Ben Folds Five is a motherf*cking rock band god dammit. If you can sit down during Jackson Cannery, you're living your life wrong.

Or you sit down to pee, like Ben.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"