10/5 Kleinhans Music Hall, Buffalo NY Setlist

• 6 Replies
10/5 Kleinhans Music Hall, Buffalo NY Setlist
« on: October 06, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
Obviously the order won't be completely correct, but I'll get every song in..

1. Michael Praytor, Five Years Later
2. Missing The War
3. Hold That Thought
4. Jackson Cannery
5. Selfless, Cold, And Composed
6. Sky High
7. Erase Me
8. Thank You For Breaking My Heart
9. Landed (seemed kinda weird without background vocals)
10. Alice Childress
11. Draw A Crowd
12. Brick
13. Rock This Bitch in Buffalo (was actually decent, had a great jazz outro)
14. Do It Anyway
15. Philosophy
16. Kate
17. Battle Of Who Could Care Less
18. Song For The Dumped
19. Army
20. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces

Encore:
21. Magic
22. Underground

The last 6 or so songs before the encore was the highlight part of the show -- everyone was on their feet and the guys absolutely killed it.  So much energy in the room.  Overall it was a great show.  Crowd was pretty good.  The mix seemed a tad off.  I would've like the piano to be a bit brighter, and the lead vocals and Darren's kick drum were a bit too reverb-y for my taste, which overpowered Robert and the piano at times, but it was still pretty good.  Ben did some of the craziest piano work I've ever seen him do (had great seats) but just couldn't hear every note of it all the time.  This usually happens during the indoor concert hall shows for some reason.  Maybe it's because I always sit so close I'm not in the auditory sweet spot, haha.

Agree that Ben's voice is in really fine form.

Offline Allison

Re: 10/5 Kleinhans Music Hall, Buffalo NY Setlist
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
Philosophy? It's been a few shows since that one was played. Good to see they're changing it up a bit. I am also really pleased to see that including Thank You For Breaking My Heart has not just tabled Magic (it's in the spot in the show it used to be in).
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty psyched for Philosophy.  I actually had been avoiding all the setlist posts, as I wanted most of it to be a surprise.  Was really hoping for Uncle Walter -- can't get everything I suppose, haha.  I'm also surprised they haven't been playing the new album title track -- it's one of the most "five" sounding songs on the album, and it seems would lend itself to a good live performance.

Offline Allison

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 04:48:12 PM »
They have played the title track. Then they seemed to get rid of it for Draw a Crowd.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 07:16:11 PM »
my favorite thing about The Sound of the Life of the Mind(song) is the backround vocals from Robert and Darren. More than just OOs and AHs, full on lines!! Just like they used to do back in the day ("your uncle walter's goin' on and on", "big brother got the keys" "throw it on the fire", etc). There wasn't enough of this on the new album, love that they did it here.

Offline PonchoRavioli

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:11:01 AM »
Some guy took video of a lot of the show and put it up on youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFH11q03W68  

Nice video, but I do have to say the guy who filmed it was quite disrespectful to those around him.  He upset a bunch of people in our section. I didn't pay for the money for the vip tickets to have some guy who paid less to come sit by me then tell me to stop dancing in my seat because I was making his video shaky.  I'm on board with sharing the experience with others, but this guy could have been better about it.  With that being said, the show was amazing, and was such a treat that my 40th ben folds concert was with the five :)  

Offline Allison

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
Nice! Congrats on hitting 40! Didn't know you were so high up there too!