HAPPY BIRTHDAY #46 BEN!

• 12 Replies

Offline Allison

HAPPY BIRTHDAY #46 BEN!
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
See title.
Seriously though.

The man was my gateway into my indie music life. Which is a huge part of who I am, and what I do…. and I’ve made some of my absolute best friends because of our mutual Folds appreciation. Y'all here on the burbs mean a lot to me, if we know each other well or not. It's crazy anytime someone knows me in public because of the two words Chudley Cannons. (It is almost scary. Met a kid at a Dr Dog concert who then knew who I was though his brother because of this place). AND. Well. Let's keep doing what we're doing in honor of the man who made it all. (Plus Darren and Robert, of course.)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Joyuex Anniversaire.
Feliez Navidad??
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Damian

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY #46 BEN!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:18:43 AM »
Yep.  In the (unlikely?) event that you still pop in here, Ben, happy birthday and cheers for being awesome and all that.  Shall raise a glass to you while listening to the new album tonight.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:38:40 AM »
From Sweden: Grattis på Födelsedag!

You all know how influential Ben has been in my life. I was a big classical music nut in my teens (yeah, I was quite the popular kid) until I heard "Underground" which inspired me to start playing piano, transcribe music, and get into the whole indie thing. "The whole indie thing" lead me to such things as my radio show, performing music meant I met my wife (in a band), and my combined love of music/tech got me my job. Perhaps if I hadn't heard "Underground" on the radio that day I wouldn't be here. I certainly wouldn't be typing on a red message board which *still* takes money from my wallet each and every month. :)

Happy Birthday Ben. Can't think of a better way to celebrate than the highly anticipated return of the bands that - for many of us - opened our eyes to a different form of music. Can't wait for the download!

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 03:07:04 AM »
Well said Andy.

Happy birthday, Ben!

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 04:12:24 AM »
Happy Birthday Ben. The songs you wrote got me through a lot, just wanna tell you that.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 04:27:04 AM »
Happy Birthday Mr. Folds!

I first heard BFF June 97 while I was away at summer camp.  I still remember hearing those opening chords of Jackson Cannery blasting through the wall of the counselors' room in our cabin and sprinting around the corner to find out what that incredible sound was.  The guy there who had "discovered" BFF subsequently made me a cassette with the self title on side A and WAEA on side B.  I wore the f*ck out that tape!  Couldn't have come at a better time, I was 13 and in desperate need of some music and identify with.  I had been taking piano lessons since I was 5 and at that point was really getting burnt out on practicing.  Can't tell how much time I spent after that obsessing over learning every song on those first 3 BFF albums.  I've seen Ben live 15 times now (4 with BFF) and they've been some of the happiest moments of my life.  Thank you, sir!  If you read this, hope your birthday is awesome!

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:08:42 AM »
They say it's Ben's birthday
Well, it's my birthday too yeah
They say it's Ben's birthday
We're gonna have a good time [in two weeks here in Houston]
I'm glad it's our birthday
Happy birthday to us

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Joyuex Anniversaire.
Feliez Navidad??

Cumpleanos es la palabra que busca.  Feliz Cumpleanos.

Offline Allison

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:41 PM »
es la palabra que busca? no comprende.

i only know basic kitchen spanish.

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
es la palabra que busca? no comprende.

Cumpleanos "is the word you are looking for"
Instead of navidad

Offline Allison

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »
oh i was being dumb. i know cumpleanos and navidad.

i work in a restaurant, and therefore, with a lot of mexicans - and well. i know simple spanish. and dirty spanish. and nothing else.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
From Sweden: Grattis på Födelsedag!

You all know how influential Ben has been in my life. I was a big classical music nut in my teens (yeah, I was quite the popular kid) until I heard "Underground" which inspired me to start playing piano, transcribe music, and get into the whole indie thing. "The whole indie thing" lead me to such things as my radio show, performing music meant I met my wife (in a band), and my combined love of music/tech got me my job. Perhaps if I hadn't heard "Underground" on the radio that day I wouldn't be here. I certainly wouldn't be typing on a red message board which *still* takes money from my wallet each and every month. :)

Happy Birthday Ben. Can't think of a better way to celebrate than the highly anticipated return of the bands that - for many of us - opened our eyes to a different form of music. Can't wait for the download!

~A

well said, andy.
happy belated birthday, ben.
having come to love your music, i have met some amazing people and some not so amazing people (cough allison cough).  just kidding.  i love all of y'all.
and, andy, thanks for posting our rent.  this place used to be where i felt most at home and for that i thank you, kind sir.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Allison

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 02:20:24 AM »
this place used to be where i felt most at home and for that i thank you, kind sir.

this. oh man.

AND FINE. I don't like you either. :P

haaaaaa