BFF album: complete

• 86 Replies
Re: BFF album: complete
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 10:43:41 AM »
Thanks Perplexy! I remember Reinhold took me a bit of getting used too after the rockin' sounds of the first two albums (and NBP). Of course it wasn't long before I thought it was great. I've liked all of Bens solo albums except WTN--just didn't get into it (and I tried). Glad to hear there are some maj7's in there--my favorite chord! I agree with you on the jazzy voicings. Don't have long to wait now.  Mike

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »
Totally agree about Reinhold.
Listening to the new one back to back with Reinhold and Ben's voice is so much lower these days - another big characteristic of their older stuff.
He's using different keys to write in as well.

I wish he'd come to the boards or someone would get a big interview with him about how his writing style has changed - if it indeed has besides less jazzier voicings...

Offline Russ

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »
I've heard the new record. I'm a journalist so don't ask me for any leaks etc. but I think everyone's gonna dig it.
It's definitely a mix of Ben's more recent solo efforts (as figured - they DID break up over ten years ago...) but it's awesome to hear the familiar rhythm section and the guys voices.

My favorites by far are ..
"...Michael Praytor" - great verses and great Sledge basslines/harmonies

"Draw a Crowd" is super catchy and starts with Jesusland-esque harmonies. Almost reminds me of "Your Redneck Past..." It's a fun one.

"Hold that Thought" reminds me of "Mess" but has an amazing twist towards the end. Very Reinhold...very BF5.  I almost like it more than "Mess." Would have fit great on "Reinhold..."
Lots of maj7s for the musicians out there.

"Thank You for Breaking My Heart" is a waltz-y ballad and is a little mysteriously beautiful (i.e. "Boxing"/"Selfless, Cold & Composed"). One of their best ballads.

Ben's at his best when he writes in jazzier voicings and that's a huge key to the 5's sound and why his solo stuff is so much different.
Needless to say, it's a great album but more of a grower/slow burner than anything they've done yet but I love it!

I'm dying to hear Michael Praytor in full... DYING

Don't suppose you could find it in your heart to sneak just a rip of that one song to me could you? :)

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
Yep, M. Praytor is at or near the top of the list of what I want to hear most. Happy to read the positive reviews, and they don't even include Sky High or Away When You Were Here.

Less than three short weeks now ..  :'(

Offline Allison

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 02:44:27 AM »
19 days. let the countdown begin.

perplexy - great to read your review. journalist, where?
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 06:03:40 AM »
Can't post any of that info just yet and definitely can't rip a song! haha

No harm in trying, right?

Sky High is pretty cool. Darren's song and reminds me a little of Hotel Lights. Great lyrics and great vibe. No pun intended, but it "floats" with those 10cc-ish backing vocals.

The only track I'm not entirely in love with is the title track for some reason.
However, I threw the new "Tell Me What I Did" in my tracklist and it fits fantastic. Should have been on the album!
I still think "Hold that Thought" is my favorite. Really excited to hear what other people think about the record.

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »
Surely we can compromise here. We've all already purchased at pledgemusic.com or elsewhere. How about some lyrics at least?  ;D

Offline Deano

• It'll be done when I get round to it....
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »
Surely we can compromise here. We've all already purchased at pledgemusic.com or elsewhere. How about some lyrics at least?  ;D

I know that's said in jest but to be honest I find it pretty bloody annoying when artists ask people for money in advance to fund their new album, then send out review copies to people that didn't before the people that made it possible.

Offline makiko

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
TSOTLOTM Japanese Edition includes 3 bonus tracks.
"Tell Me What I Did", "Stumblin' Home Winter Blues" and "Thank You For Breaking My Heart (Japanese Version)".

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B008OJ7SEA/
http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_Ben-Folds-Five_000000000060066/item_未定_5127440
http://tower.jp/item/3135943/

Sound of the Life of Mind [=Japanese title]
(September 26, 2012)
01. Erase Me
02. Michael Praytor, Five Years Later
03. Sky High
04. The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind
05. On Being Frank
06. Draw A Crowd
07. Do It Anyway
08. Hold That Thought
09. Away When You Were Here
10. Thank You For Breaking My Heart
11. Tell Me What I Did
12. Stumblin' Home Winter Blues
13. Thank You For Breaking My Heart (Japanese Version)

Offline Damian

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 06:07:02 AM »

I know that's said in jest but to be honest I find it pretty bloody annoying when artists ask people for money in advance to fund their new album, then send out review copies to people that didn't before the people that made it possible.
I don't really blame them.  If there wasn't Internet piracy then I wouldn't be impressed, but as it stands I think it's understandable that they'd want review copies out there, but only a minimal window pre-release where it might get onto the web in an unauthorised fashion...

Offline Boz

• Slammin The Pimp Fantastic
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »
Here's a nice little article about the reunited group:

They know when to folds 'em

Asked why Ben Folds Five broke up back in 2000, bandleader Ben Folds offers a surprising explanation: “Darren [Jessee, the band’s drummer] made a pass at my mom. That just wasn’t acceptable.”

I know it's Pit.

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »
"Erase me / do me like a bro and tase me"

Interesting, to say the least.

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »
with all due respect, robert looks like an overweight southern housewife now

Offline Kyle

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
The album is officially released in 2 weeks.  Could this week be the week that Pledger's get their downloads?

Has anyone heard any radio play yet for Do It Anyway?  It hasn't been played by the local alternative station hosting the BF5 show yet.

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »
Really, can we just have it already?!  Besides, it's my birthday and getting the album that I helped fund would probably beat any other present I'd get  :P

Serious question though: how is it that journalists have apparently had this album for weeks and I still haven't found a single legit review on google?  Is their early receipt of the album made conditional on not publishing a review until a certain date?