BFF album: complete

• 86 Replies
Re: BFF album: complete
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
it took a little bit of url trickery, but here is the full 1400x1400 cover art, instead of in that stupid amazon zoom interface (open image link in new window- i shrunk it here):

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 04:14:35 AM »
The ol' lightbulb went off in my head and I compared some of these amazon clips to the the Vlogs at Pledge Music. Michael Praytor and Draw A Crowd just got a whole lot better. (Sky High and Away When You Were Here were already excellent)  \m/

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »
so

with only about a month left before the record drops.....how about we really try to push the advertisement of this record. 

let's make it go viral on facebook, myspace, twitter, etc

street team even?

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 06:11:25 AM »
"Do It Anyway" now available as a single on iTunes.

Now that it's been mastered there's a bit more definition.  The background vocals and Robert's bass definitely pop a little bit more.

Interesting cover art.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 06:42:19 AM »
Really digging this sound... I'm sl glad it didn't get overmastered.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »
Really digging this sound... I'm sl glad it didn't get overmastered.

THIS.  though, i knew it wouldn't after the debacle with Way to Normal/Stems & Seeds.  glad that era is over.  (hopefully for good)
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »
TSOTLOTM now up on iTunes for preorder.

Curiously enough, no bonus tracks...

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 02:39:55 AM »
Allegedly there was an 11th track, but Ben said it was crap and was therefore scrapped.(I think he said it in one of the Vlogs on PledgeMusic). I would imagine if there was to be a bonus track, it would be that one. OR HOPEFULLY, maybe a song from one of their festival shows at Bonnarroo or Mountain Jam. Their rendition of Narcolepsy at Bonarroo was amazing with the jazz interlude at the end. It would need to be mixed though because the sound from the videostream wasn't great.

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 03:29:30 AM »
TSOTLOTM now up on iTunes for preorder.

Curiously enough, no bonus tracks...

and no track previews  :(

Offline Kyle

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 04:54:32 AM »
Love the mixing on the radio edit of Do It Anyway, but I'm not a fan of the abrupt ending.  To me it cuts out some of the best part of the song and some of the intensity in order to get it under 4:00 minutes.

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 07:47:21 AM »
Over the weekend I was listening to The Nerdist podcast with Ben from last fall and towards the end Ben plays an idea for the, at-the-time, unrecorded new BFF album.  He had the chords and the melody, but no lyrics, and said it was inspired by watching a Philip Glass documentary.  Having listened to the TSOTLOTM preview clips on Amazon, I realized that what he was playing was the chorus to Erase Me.

I know, I know, "Cool Story Bro."   :P  Just thought I'd point it out if anyone wants to go back and listen

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »
Good call.  I meant to go back and listen after the samples but just forgot to.  Is shaping up to be a really cool song, for sure.

Also, anyone else get any "over the hedge" vibes from a couple samples?  The choruses for Michael Praytor and Breaking My Heart made me think of Heist and Still, respectively.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 06:23:43 AM »
Over the weekend I was listening to The Nerdist podcast with Ben from last fall and towards the end Ben plays an idea for the, at-the-time, unrecorded new BFF album.  He had the chords and the melody, but no lyrics, and said it was inspired by watching a Philip Glass documentary.  Having listened to the TSOTLOTM preview clips on Amazon, I realized that what he was playing was the chorus to Erase Me.

I know, I know, "Cool Story Bro."   :P  Just thought I'd point it out if anyone wants to go back and listen

Nice catch! If anyone is interested I believe the chords he plays on the show are: Gm, Bbm, F (A in bass), Am, Cm, Ebm, Gm, D.

~A (looong time since I transcribed any Folds)
So smooth you can hear the beard.

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
Came across this early (improvised) version of "Draw a Crowd" over the weekend. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prebCWMlLZo

I vaguely remember watching this video when it was first posted, but had long since forgotten about it.  Sounds NOTHING like the preview clip on Amazon, though I remember reading somewhere that Ben said that lyric has been in his head for over a decade.

As a side note, I personally will find it funny if indeed that lyric came from Ben's experiences at the Newport in Columbus.  I wasn't at this specific show, but have seen my fair number of concerts there.  Suffice it to say, it's the kind of venue that would probably have interesting...um, graffiti... in the green room. 

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 08:17:27 AM »
I've heard the new record. I'm a journalist so don't ask me for any leaks etc. but I think everyone's gonna dig it.
It's definitely a mix of Ben's more recent solo efforts (as figured - they DID break up over ten years ago...) but it's awesome to hear the familiar rhythm section and the guys voices.

My favorites by far are ..
"...Michael Praytor" - great verses and great Sledge basslines/harmonies

"Draw a Crowd" is super catchy and starts with Jesusland-esque harmonies. Almost reminds me of "Your Redneck Past..." It's a fun one.

"Hold that Thought" reminds me of "Mess" but has an amazing twist towards the end. Very Reinhold...very BF5.  I almost like it more than "Mess." Would have fit great on "Reinhold..."
Lots of maj7s for the musicians out there.

"Thank You for Breaking My Heart" is a waltz-y ballad and is a little mysteriously beautiful (i.e. "Boxing"/"Selfless, Cold & Composed"). One of their best ballads.

Ben's at his best when he writes in jazzier voicings and that's a huge key to the 5's sound and why his solo stuff is so much different.
Needless to say, it's a great album but more of a grower/slow burner than anything they've done yet but I love it!