IMPORTANT: User Registration

• 3 Replies

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
IMPORTANT: User Registration
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:06:53 AM »
Due to the current wave of spam attack which is appearing faster than we can clear it, I have temporarily turned off new user registration until the spiders go elsewhere or I find a better way to prevent it.

Sadly, they appear to be using bots to find the site, then ping off the human verification (CAPTCHA/anti-spam questions about BFF) to a person to help the bots through.

I have no idea why they think they can sell Ugg boots to us via mispelled spam linking to russian sites, but until I can stop them, no more user registrations.

If you want to join, shoot me an email (top right) and I'll make you an account.

~Andy
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline Allison

Re: IMPORTANT: User Registration
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:22:51 AM »
Where's the like button?
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:33:59 AM »
Fun times...
I re-enabled user registration (with a CAPTCHA and some BFF questions to pass) and within 10 minutes already had 2 spam bots manage to sign up. So I re-disabled it. Obviously we're in some relentless spambot database, so it's gonna take me a while to find a good solution.

Again, if you want an account, send me a quick email and I'll set you on up. Not ideal, but I'm working on it.

~A

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »
User signups are now reactivated! Hurrah!

I mixed things up for the spambots and added some extra protection - hopefully this will keep them at bay for a bit. Sorry that newbies have to jump through a couple of verification hoops but it's worth it, trust me.

If any slip though, hit that "report to moderator" link in the lower right of any post and it'll summon us to come sort them out.

Thanks for your patience.

~A