Alternative 'Vault' track ordering

• 7 Replies

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
Alternative 'Vault' track ordering
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
We're mostly music nerds here - why not go all "High Fidelity" and post up your own ordering for the Vault tracks? Chronological, autobiographical, The order you saw them in live - or just whatever sounds good.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
Re: Alternative 'Vault' track ordering
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
We're mostly music nerds here - why not go all "High Fidelity" and post up your own ordering for the Vault tracks? Chronological, autobiographical, The order you saw them in live - or just whatever sounds good.

~A

Not alphabetical. God damn.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 06:26:18 AM »

~A

Not alphabetical. God damn.

Why the f*ck not?  At least for listing purposes on the website for downloading.  Especially for those of us who only want some of the vault.

What's your alternative?

Offline Allison

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:54:15 AM »
Honestly, I assumed they'd be chronological. Or in a Ben-Set order. Alpha makes sense, in a sense, but not at the same time. Both the Live disc and the Rareties disc are chronological, so why not the vault. BUuuuuuuuuut it's the vault... so I don't know. But at least a track numbering system would have been nice. Even if it was Ben just willy nilly doing it himself. There are three "track one"s. Irritating to input into iTunes, so agreed. And weird to listen to, kind of. I mean, my Rare Songs "album" on iTunes is in the order I find things. I just keep adding to the list. But they each have their own number.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline DAVID

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:44:28 AM »
Honestly, I assumed they'd be chronological. Or in a Ben-Set order. Alpha makes sense, in a sense, but not at the same time. Both the Live disc and the Rareties disc are chronological, so why not the vault. BUuuuuuuuuut it's the vault... so I don't know. But at least a track numbering system would have been nice. Even if it was Ben just willy nilly doing it himself. There are three "track one"s. Irritating to input into iTunes, so agreed. And weird to listen to, kind of. I mean, my Rare Songs "album" on iTunes is in the order I find things. I just keep adding to the list. But they each have their own number.

iTunes knows what it's doing.  there are three discs.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline Allison

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »

Except I still had to go in and tag things properly. It sucked to do anyway. That and I deleted out everything I already have that I'm not going to get in a higher quality. IE: Over the Hedge
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline DAVID

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »

Except I still had to go in and tag things properly. It sucked to do anyway. That and I deleted out everything I already have that I'm not going to get in a higher quality. IE: Over the Hedge

You can still have iTunes sort it all and just remove them later... But yeah, if you want to reorder the tracks... Well, I would just make a playlist...

Offline pano

• my idea of faith
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 06:22:06 AM »
With my combined Vault and Retro files I gave up the usual practice of tagging the date for all tracks as the album release date and entered each files' release/recording date by hand. This plus a more rigid artist tagging (The Bens, BF & Rufus Wainwright etc.) allows me to roam through the collection pretty much the way i want. I also made some playlists:

- prev. unreleased (an incredible number of 80 cuts, btw)
- live
- demo

which can each be seperated by solo and Five material, too...