Change Forum Width
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 07:29:51 AM
+  Ben Folds Message Board - thesuburbs.org.uk
|-+  General
| |-+  General Board (Moderator: Andy)
| | |-+  General Sing-Off discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: General Sing-Off discussion  (Read 10980 times)
Allison
Rent-A-Cop
YaBB God

i will not hold it in

« on: October 11, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »

I am needing a place to talk about this show (like the groups. I'm vested now. Damn you Ben Folds for getting me attached to yet another hour long show on tv).

PS. I'm still pissed you're in Chuck's slot. (the show, not your brother.) This may mainly be fueled by my anger that the show is getting canned after this year. (Also, Chuck, not The Sing Off.) And I love that damn show. A shitton.

Anywho. I need to discuss groups and numbers and swan songs and blah blah blah blah blah. I do not need to discuss costumes, but if you need to here's the place. Yes/Yes? (note the no no option.)

mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

"A spark that's gone is not a spark to mourn, you can't resuscitate a person who was never born."
Andy
Administrator
YaBB God

I went because you said you'd be there

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:22:04 AM »

I've never seen the sing off, but I imagine that is it a lot like sumo wresting except it's two large female opera singers dressed as Valkyries who have to sing a sustained note so loudly the other gets blasted out of the ring.

That's my reality and I'm sticking to it.

~A

So smooth you can hear the beard.
Ben_Folds_Fan
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »

Very surprised that Sonos is gone so soon.  I have heard their J5 before on xm50 and last night's version was a pale comparison to what they are capable of.  But based on the critiques, it was not surprising to see them go.  Also, that probably made the producers happy since Barellies and they had worked together before and now they don't have the conflict of interest.

The old guys did a great job last night.  And are much better than last season's old guys, who really were just a support group for the one lead singer.

I look forward to their merging of the two "halves" of the season into a single show.  Perhaps next week now that we are down to 10?
DAVID

A little blurry, but his face is worth it!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »

I look forward to their merging of the two "halves" of the season into a single show.  Perhaps next week now that we are down to 10?

That's what they said in the promo for next week.  I'm excited.

"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"
Kyle

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »

I hate that it has been two hours long.  It is too long.  But, Ben has been on his game this season.  Funny and insightful.  He seems very comfortable as a judge now and his personality has shown through more.
DAVID

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:10:50 PM »

I hate that it has been two hours long.  It is too long.  But, Ben has been on his game this season.  Funny and insightful.  He seems very comfortable as a judge now and his personality has shown through more.

Yeah, but it's always been 2 hours, and depending on what you want to listen to, you can get through it DVR'ed in just over an hour or so.  Season 1 and 2, I only listened to the music and Ben, and it was probably an hour or so...

"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"
AliKat4392

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »

My favorites are the Yellowjackets and the Dartmouth Aires. I always love the goofy all-male groups. Although, no one will ever live up to the Beelzebubs.

Also, can we discuss Nick Lachay's annoying sideways head tilts?

"The public persona of a piano-playing geek has kept the mainstream mostly at bay. Keep it to yourself, but the nerd in the glasses is really a Rock God." -Times Online
Allison
Rent-A-Cop
YaBB God

i will not hold it in

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »

Also, can we discuss Nick Lachay's annoying sideways head tilts?

Yes. So long as we can discuss his AWFUL puns. Cheesy

Speaking of all male groups I do really like Vocal Point and the Aires.

I was so thrilled to hear Ben mention Jesus Christ Superstar during the Aires' Pinball review. Because I was just waiting for the lead (Micheal?) to go; "listen jesus, do you care for your race? don't you see we must keep in our place. we are occupied. have you forgotten how put down we arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRreeeeeeEEEEeeeee " etc... etc.. etc... Believe me, I can keep going. ugh. I freaking love that damn show. (Superstar here)

On a random sidenote. I feel like The Sing Off should have some rules. It just weirds me out that, REALLY, people make it on the next year too? I like Delilah, don't get me wrong. But... doesn't seem fair. ALSO. What was with sonos singing a Boys II Men song as their swan song? It makes me want to hear Don't Change Your Plans or Gone, or some Ben song as a Swan Song. Just saying.....

I am also very impressed with North Shore this year. First time I think an "older" group has a fighting chance. Last year was just carried by Nichole, I felt like.

Speaking of, Nichole who? Sure Sara's still finding her voice as a judge.... but she's not just talking about how cute the boys are on stage.

And yes. I agree, Ben's really coming as a judge. I love that no one is mean on the show, but they ALL finish with "great job," "still solid" etc...

Also. I know the judges are fans of Ruby from The Collective. Meh. I like Rachel's voice better. I can't imagine listening to a whole 45 minute cd of Ruby. She does sing well, don't get me wrong... but that voice is just so distinct and a little too gravely? harsh? whatever that is, for me to want a whole cd.

Also. Bubs just released a CD: http://blog.acappellarecords.com/2011/10/beelzebubs/ SAME DAY AS BEN. How thrilling. So did Ben Lee. (Which reminds me. I NEED TO GO TO A RECORD STORE ON MY DAY OFF)

AND if you haven't gotten Street Corner Symphony's cd (came out two weeks ago) GET IT TODAY. It's great. It's got Soul Sister and Down on the Corner from the show... but there's a good amount of originals! And Jeremy, surprisingly, does not sing lead on even 50% of them. It's great to hear everyone..... but I might need to find me a Jeremy Lister cd. fangirl alert! But it's one of those weird good problems. It's like Scott vs Seth Avett. You can't go wrong. And you're not unhappy about whichever one is singing lead.... even if you have a favorite. (PS. It's totally Seth, but I love Scott too)

"A spark that's gone is not a spark to mourn, you can't resuscitate a person who was never born."
Andy
Administrator
YaBB God

I went because you said you'd be there

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 01:59:47 AM »

So if a foreigner was going to watch ONE episode of this, which one should it be?

I ask because a friend...

~A

So smooth you can hear the beard.
Kyle

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 05:28:50 AM »

Watch the season premiere.  It has all the groups, its pretty easy to tell who is good and who is not, and Ben is on his A game in it for sure.
DAVID

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »

Watch the season premiere.  It has all the groups, its pretty easy to tell who is good and who is not, and Ben is on his A game in it for sure.

The season premiere only has half the groups...

Allison
Rent-A-Cop
YaBB God

i will not hold it in

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 12:17:26 PM »

Hell, Andy, I'd watch the finale of last year. If this clip doesn't convince you; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYyJ0YT087A I may rethink our friendship.

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS2eJRjx7Cg&feature=related  or SCS and Ben (you can tell ben needs/wants his piano though): http://youtu.be/Eh7xZNJ1IMw

OKAY. I'm a SCS Groupie. I really think if they'd waited a year and were on this year's show they'd blow the roof of the place. Committed and SCS are leaps and bounds ahead of any of this years groups. In potential mass commercial success.

Andy - this is last year's winner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIPRCcZ1ijU You'll get how they won America's vote. I mean. I understand 100% why they won. This song I believe cemented it. And it was episode 2. This also has ben, shawn and BOO nicole, commentary.

This is from this year, if you want to see the judges actually. http://youtu.be/vZCw8EB7AvA

ALSO. Andy, Ben's most quotable comment on The Sing-Off to date. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCFJclG7KV4

AliKat4392

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »

On a random sidenote. I feel like The Sing Off should have some rules. It just weirds me out that, REALLY, people make it on the next year too? I like Delilah, don't get me wrong. But... doesn't seem fair.

Agreed. I think it's ridiculous how many groups there have been that were formed specifically just to compete on the sing-off. That's not what the show should be about.

"The public persona of a piano-playing geek has kept the mainstream mostly at bay. Keep it to yourself, but the nerd in the glasses is really a Rock God." -Times Online
meecrofilm

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »

I only watched the past couple seasons intermittently, but I've seen every episode of this season thus far, and I've definitely enjoyed it.  I actually find myself getting some of the songs stuck in my head.  I think Afro-Blue's performance of American Boy is my favorite one so far.
Allison
Rent-A-Cop
YaBB God

i will not hold it in

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

godd*mn THAT'S SOME FUNKY SHIT.

anyone? I was in hysterics watching Ben on tv last night.

And I'm sad to say the decisions were accurate last night. North Shore should have never switched songs. I figured they would run in to a problem eventually with no new sounds/not pushing themselves, etc, etc.... surprised it was top 10 not top 6/4 or so. But they faltered last night.

I also felt bad for The Deltones. Their lead girl, Courtney? if she'd found that twang she used on both songs last night throughout and were the more country group all along and had time to really grow that? I think they'd have been more competition. But seriously, the four other groups in their half? No questions. Afro-Blue being a bottom two just because of lacking some "meat." When they so consistently are so inventive? That says something. I hope the groups stack a bit differently next week cause I don't think Penatonix, Vocal Point and Urban Method should all be against each other. As much as I love the Aires and the Yellow Jackets they have got their work cut OUT for them. And Delilah came out of the gate gunning and need to get their shit together, or else they're gone. Bottom two two weeks in a row? You gotta see that as a sign.

Straight out of in-school suspension, FOOL.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to: