Rolling Stone review of Lonely Avenue - 2 stars

• 21 Replies

Offline perthgirl

• Up with this I will not put - Bernard Black
Re: Rolling Stone review of Lonely Avenue - 2 stars
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 02:43:53 AM »
Mel can't listen to Boxing cause of the way he says Howard)

oh, god... i can hear him singing it in my head over and over slowly turning me to a crazy.

I LOL'd at this.  We've discussed Mel's 'Howard' issues before.  Still amuses me.
It's easy to be easy and free when it doesn't mean anything...

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »
the german rolling stone gave lonely avenue 4 out of 5 stars. reviews seem to be very subjective.after a few listenings i'm starting to like this album very much. at first i didn't get the the fact that  all songs were intendend to have a different sound since the album was considered as a music book of different short stories with various moods.

Offline Seth

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 10:44:50 PM »
Well, I've been absent on here for quite some time, but I figure now is a good time to comment

After about eight or so listens to the album, it's already surpassed Way to Normal for me.  Something about the album resonates with me.  The first time I heard Levi Johnston Blues making the rounds on youtube, I absolutely hated it.  And I hated it when I actually heard it live the first time.  After hearing it on the album, it somehow became one of my favorite Folds songs of recent memory.  It's funny, it's catchy, and I find myself going back to it all the time.  Picture Window is a good song, not my favorite though.  For some reason I compare it in my mind to Carrying Cathy, which is by far my favorite Folds song.  But I agree with Jpar, I like the pop version better.  There really isn't any on this album I hate, which I couldn't say for WtN.  Some of them haven't grown on me yet (Practical Amanda), but I'm willing to bet they will.  All in all, I think Nick Hornby's writing style fits well with Folds music, and I'm really digging this album.  Can't wait to hear more of it live.
The-artist-formerly-known-as-crimsontide029

http://www.last.fm/user/crimsontide029

Offline Jono11

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 12:25:50 PM »
Wait. They really chose the Picture Window chorus as one of the worst lyrics on the album? I'm confused.
Well...yeah. I mean, it's awful. It makes a pretty good song unlistenable for me.

Offline Jono11

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
Still waiting for WtN to show me all it's got - though the other day I did put it on (well S&S) cause I was craving the Real Bitch Went Nuts for some reason.
Way to Normal is knocking on the door to your heart. You need a personal relationship with Way to Normal.

That being said, I can't stand the way he says hours in Cologne
Come to think of it, I don't really like it either. NOW THERE'S TWO OF US

Offline Jono11

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »
All in all, I think Nick Hornby's writing style fits well with Folds music, and I'm really digging this album.
I've been feeling pretty much the opposite since the early leaks. Ben's music is what I'll turn LA on for, not Hornby's lyrics.

Offline Seej

• You don't f*ck with a guy in leiderhosen
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 11:29:55 AM »
First listen was disappointing to me. Then I gave it another go after a couple weeks and it started to grow on me. It's one of those albums to put on in the background while I'm washing dishes. I wonder if Levi Johnston knows about the song. He *did* write the chorus, but i dunno if that qualifies as getting writing credit and royalties.