New Ben Folds Five song released!

• 64 Replies

Offline speedy_the_drummer

• I'm a llama!
Re: New Ben Folds Five song released!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
I can SOO tell it is Darren on the drums. Those 70's Zildjian cymbals and his vintage 70's Ludwig kit. Blows all the drum recordings Ben has done solo out of the water. You can't get any better than the sound of a vintage kit.

I do agree, I would like it better with no strings, more fuzz bass, and more Jessee/Sledge harmonies.

Offline James H

• "Awwwwww Mummy, I don't want to be a lawyer"
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:15:41 AM »
First listened to this late last night when I got in and liked it (but wasn't blown away).

However, I've found myself humming it all morning today, and listened over a few times.  It's much more hooky than I thought at first and its growing on me.

I agree with some of the comments that the production is more Lonely Avenue/recent BF and not traditional BFF, but then they have more produciton budget these days (I bet it it hasn't been recorded in a house with egg boxes on the walls) so why not make something that sounds good and clean?

Any which way, it's great to have a new BFF track after more than 10 years. 

J...
"Let Elliott Smith make a rap album. Let Harry Connick Jnr make a glam rock album. Listen to music for what it is not what its wearing.  Or buy some skate shoes and write music reviews" ~ Ben

Offline Kyle

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 04:11:01 AM »
I think the song is pretty good and it has grown on me, too.  It is definitely Ben Folds Five.  I don't get the people who would argue otherwise.

It's pretty clearly got all the staples of a Ben Folds Five recording, including heavy cymbal/high-hat use 70s drums, the double layered upright-bass and fuzz bass, Ben's double layered voice, 3-part harmonies, Ben slamming the piano, and the heavy use of strings that replaced bass and piano solos during Messner.

One of my favorite parts of the song is the energy, especially as the song builds.  Ben voice has a great energy as does the drums and bass as the song goes on... Like they are really enjoying themselves recording.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 05:09:02 AM »
and the heavy use of strings that replaced bass and piano solos during Messner.
Really? There's not that much string in TUBORM? Certainly very little treble string - most of it is brass or synth.

One of my favorite parts of the song is the energy, especially as the song builds.  Ben voice has a great energy as does the drums and bass as the song goes on... Like they are really enjoying themselves recording.
Yes. The end of it is very BFF, very over the top shouty energy. One of the reasons I massively love WAEA. Nothing will ever match the energy of BOWCCL or Kate.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 05:15:38 AM »
Thanks for the lyrics! I have updates the song page: http://www.thesuburbs.org.uk/lyrics/house

I relistened to it, and it reminds me of the soundtrack work Ben did very early into his solo career. Also, "Landed".

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 06:25:25 AM »
Andy and all, thanks for all the work with this clip and the lyrics, etc.

A newly exciting time to be a BFF fan.  :P

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 07:57:24 AM »
Thanks for the lyrics! I have updates the song page: http://www.thesuburbs.org.uk/lyrics/house

I relistened to it, and it reminds me of the soundtrack work Ben did very early into his solo career. Also, "Landed".

~A

spot on! exactly like soundtrack work.
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
I'm beside myself. I can't stop listening to this. Right around the 3 minute mark is when the Ben Folds FIVE kicks in, and Sledge slices through the solo catalog with his fuzz bass and suddenly fans who have been adrift in the wilderness of the solo career for the last decade feel like they've finally found a house they recognize - even if it's a little different now.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »
Ben.... They ARE digging it.  \m/

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
House, like almost all the music I enjoy, is rapidly growing on me.

Offline Sebster74

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 04:49:16 AM »
Is anyone able to send this to me as it seems both links dont have the track any more, and I really want to hear it.

Offline HappyFunMiles

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
Must hear this. Must hear this. Must hear this.

Someone please repost?

Offline Kidney05

• woke up way too normal
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »
nobody deserves posts on their myspace site asking if they stabbed basketballs.

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
For some reason I didn't think this would be very good. I thought that maybe I would listen to it and think "mmm yeah I suppose it's ok" and grow to like it as I heard it in my playlists over the months.

I liked it INSTANTLY! Very awesome, and very worthy of the Ben Folds Five stuff. I think the style of vocals in particular too is the best I've heard from Ben since Ben Folds Live (or RTS). This makes me excited for the future of Ben Folds!