New Ben Folds Five song released!

• 64 Replies

Offline AlexKintzle

New Ben Folds Five song released!
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Re: New Ben Folds Five song released!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »
interesting track. not amazing but good. if they are making an album, i wouldnt expect them to waste their best stuff as a bonus track, so its ok! haha

Offline speedy_the_drummer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »
AHHHH THIS AND HOTEL LIGHTS NEW ALBUM IN ONE DAY?! I HAVE NO WORDS!

Offline Kyle

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:56:59 AM »
I love it, but I'm biased.  It's so Ben Folds Five sounding.  I wish there were more backing vocals though from Rob and Darren.  Maybe replace the strings with them.  Can't wait for the full Retrospective + New Album!

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »
Absolutely - there is no mistaking this is the BFF sound. I wonder if this is one of the 'old' (post-Messner) songs that has been cleaned up? Can't help but think Ben wasn't at his best when he penned this (assuming it is his. Sure sounds like it.)

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:04:27 AM »
Oh, but don't get me wrong - I'm enjoying it. Just thinking that the writing would be fresher after a break, rather than what took place when they were facing the exit.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 05:44:02 AM »
I wish there were more backing vocals though from Rob and Darren.  Maybe replace the strings with them.
I was thinking exactly this - Ben has used strings on all his solo stuff, but the part was always filled with Robert and Darren "aaah"ing in the BFF days.

Absolutely - there is no mistaking this is the BFF sound.
It is, but do you not think the production is very Lonely Avenue? It's a bit too polished for BFF IMO.

Saying all that, I love it to bits. It's gone straight up quite high in my list of favourite BFF songs.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 06:01:15 AM »
There's a sign up in the yard,
And the the furniture has gone,
Filled with fetid memories,
Unworthy of a song.

Flashes of sad and angry faces come and go,
Could anyone live between those walls and never know?

And I could go there,
But I'm not going,
Pulse is slowing,
No, I'm not nervous anymore.

I've had the nightmares
I've seen some counsellors,
But I'm not going,
Back up in that house again.

It's just like waking up,
In that second and a half,
The bliss of not remembering,
Before it all comes flooding back.

So what do I do as all these voices come and go?
Could anyone live inside my head and never know?

And I could go there,
I'm not going,
Pulse is slowing,
No, I'm not nervous anymore.

I've seen the nightmares,
And some counsellors,
I'm not going,

In that house again.

I'm not sorry,
For what I'm feeling,
Blow the walls out,
Bring the ceiling to the ground.

I've had the nightmares,
Seen the counsellors,
I'm not going,

Offline Kyle

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:11:18 AM »
I wish there were more backing vocals though from Rob and Darren.  Maybe replace the strings with them.
I was thinking exactly this - Ben has used strings on all his solo stuff, but the part was always filled with Robert and Darren "aaah"ing in the BFF days.

Absolutely - there is no mistaking this is the BFF sound.
It is, but do you not think the production is very Lonely Avenue? It's a bit too polished for BFF IMO.

Saying all that, I love it to bits. It's gone straight up quite high in my list of favourite BFF songs.

It is polished, but it sounds quite good. Ben's voice sounds great.  Funny thing is that his inflections are very BFF, not solo work.  Also, the lyrics are very Darren.  Is this a song penned by Darren?

Odd side note, when Ben sings "fetid memories" it sounds just like Lonely Christmas Eve off the Grinch soundtrack for a second.

Offline Zeek

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 06:33:22 AM »
This is definitely the start of something great.

I'll also agree that the feeling of this song really hits back to the BFF sound.  Despite not listening to BFF until after I listened to Folds, it's pretty easy to tell this is something entirely different from Folds' solo work.

(Thanks for the mp3 rip, by the way, Alex!)

EDIT: Now that it's not 1 in the morning and my brain is actually working, this isn't anything holy crap jesus man, but it's just something a bit different.  I feel like this House song sounds like something off of Silverman or LA.  There's a few moments where I'm waiting for Folds to spit on me like he did during Picture Window (non-pop), but it's a nice little song.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 06:52:10 AM »
Funny thing is that his inflections are very BFF, not solo work.
Yes. This.

Also, the lyrics are very Darren.  Is this a song penned by Darren?
It's usually Ben who writes songs about people going a bit insane through depression.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
To me, this isn't very BFF sounding. The only thing I find more BFF is the fact that the lyrics are a bit more vague. The fuzzy bass is there, but mostly hidden underneath the strings.  I know at lot of you think you can tell its the five for sure, but if it wasn't announced, I don't think anyone would be convinced Darren and Robert were involved.

Offline Ootini

• Sandcrawler II - Assistant Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
if it wasn't announced, I don't think anyone would be convinced Darren and Robert were involved.

Agreed. Nice to know they're back and working together. The only clue for me is the sound of the rhythm section, the drums particularly.

I hope they get Caleb Southern back to produce their album. I'm sure BFF want to move on but I think his production is intrinsic to the sound everyone knows as the BFF sound.

Oo.

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »

You nailed it right on the head. I feel like there's too many strings and no aaah's. The aaaah's are classic Five.

Also i feel like the bass was too quiet for the Five sound but maybe thats just me....

"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:22:16 AM »
Agreed. To all that shit above.