A Glorious Tweet about Ben Folds Five

• 20 Replies

Offline HappyFunMiles

A Glorious Tweet about Ben Folds Five
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
http://twitter.com/#!/GlobeRodman/status/98256785894420480:

Music scoop at TV press tour: "Sing-Off" judge @benfolds is reconvening Ben Folds Five to record a new album in Dec. after "TSO" wraps.

:totally geeking out, been waiting 11 years for this:

Offline SinginJen

Re: A Glorious Tweet about Ben Folds Five
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:13:48 AM »
Holy crap, that's exciting.  Better chances for a tour with that, right??
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

Offline Eric

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »
There damn well better be a tour ;D

Offline drummerstu

• I don't have a third dimension
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »
Hell frickin' yessssss...2011 just got good, people...

Offline Zeek

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:36:06 AM »
You've got to be kidding.  This is just amazing.

\m/

Offline Galona

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »
There damn well better be a tour ;D

THIS! A million times this!!!  \m/

Offline speedy_the_drummer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:58:19 PM »
"He's unsure about any potential touring-- "one step at a time," he said. First he's producing an EP for fellow "TSO" judge Sara Bareilles."

Offline JonahRank

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:25:01 AM »
Where is that quote from?
http://www.jonahrank.com - personal website

http://www.oholiav.com - Viewing Arts & Entertainment Through a Jewish Lens

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
i love this, but what i dont like is there probably wont be a tour. everytime Ben is asked about a tour with BFF he doesnt seem to give any sort of positive response. i think it will just be an album and thats it but i could be wrong. just sayin...
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline vosnos

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
i love this, but what i dont like is there probably wont be a tour. everytime Ben is asked about a tour with BFF he doesnt seem to give any sort of positive response. i think it will just be an album and thats it but i could be wrong. just sayin...

Yea but that was before all that's happened recently.  There must've been a big change of heart by all 3 for them to get back together, record tracks for the retrospective, and possibly record an entire new album this winter.  Never in a million years would I have thought BFF would make a new record so who's to say they wouldn't tour for it.

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »

Yea but that was before all that's happened recently.  There must've been a big change of heart by all 3 for them to get back together, record tracks for the retrospective, and possibly record an entire new album this winter.  Never in a million years would I have thought BFF would make a new record so who's to say they wouldn't tour for it.

good point. i guess we'll just have to wait and see. i really really hope it does though!
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »

I would guess it was probably a gradual thing.  Ben's said before that the reason he thinks the band broke up (and I would agree with this) is that they spent 4+ years together constantly touring and recording.  It's hard for that not to destroy friendships.  I think we have MySpace to thank for this though.  Asking him to do Messner front to back, and he then says he couldn't do it without them. Then realizing "oh wait, I can do it with them!"

Creating the retrospective meant, I'm sure, talking with them over rights issues and such and listening to their old music.  Which then led to a bit of recording for the retrospective, and then recording together probably got them all going "why'd we stop doing this?"
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
If this band does get back together, and tours, (and why wouldn't they. we know ben isnt retiring from touring) it'll be interesting to see robert and darren playing ben's solo material. in a way, it'll be like it always should have been. imagine darren going to town on the kit during zak and sara.....it fits, doesnt it?

Offline vosnos

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
If this band does get back together, and tours, (and why wouldn't they. we know ben isnt retiring from touring) it'll be interesting to see robert and darren playing ben's solo material. in a way, it'll be like it always should have been. imagine darren going to town on the kit during zak and sara.....it fits, doesnt it?

To be honest, I really hope they don't play any of Ben's solo material if they tour.  Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five are two completely separate entities in my mind and it would just be strange to see them performing Ben's solo stuff.  Songs like Zak and Sara were never meant to be played with Rob and Darren so I don't see the reason to do it.  We've heard Ben play solo (or with a backing band) for 10 years now, I wanna hear BFF material as it was meant to be played.

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 03:33:57 AM »
Exactly. The Police didn't play any Sting songs when they got back together.