Retrospective: Best Imitation of Myself 1995-2011

• 98 Replies

Offline TrashSpork

Re: Retrospective: Best Imitation of Myself 1995-2011
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
Yeah my Windows Media Player 12 only recognizes disk 2 out of the three so It labels everything Unknown artist and wont label each track. Still able to rip them but I don't want to go and individually type in the name of each track.
I like toast!

Offline AliKat4392

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »
Got mine in the mail today!!
Itunes had no problem recognizing the track names and all the information.
"The public persona of a piano-playing geek has kept the mainstream mostly at bay. Keep it to yourself, but the nerd in the glasses is really a Rock God." -Times Online

Offline sek53

• Ever Ruling Crown aka Steve
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »
I got my copy today in the mail, 2nd disk had scuffs and blemishes on it. I was kinda bummed & mad, emailed the online store feedback thing (but with all emotion removed), and they are re-sending me the entire 3 disk set. So I approve of the handling of my issue.

Disk one and three are amazing, I guess I will have to wait another week to hear the lossless goodness of disk 2. I love the Demos, even the ones I heard on WUWTL before. Stumbling Home Winter Blues makes me uber excited for the guys to write and perform stuff together again.

Offline Zeek

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
Yeah my Windows Media Player 12 only recognizes disk 2 out of the three so It labels everything Unknown artist and wont label each track. Still able to rip them but I don't want to go and individually type in the name of each track.

Same happened to me.  I was bored enough to tag everything myself.

Offline caliban10

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 08:43:44 PM »

But for the CDDB/Gracenote (that itunes uses), whatever Windows Media Player uses, freedb and any other music database, someone has to take the time to type in each track for albums so that everyone else can use them. That's the way they work. I find I usually have to redo them because they're very often incorrect.

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »

Same happened to me.  I was bored enough to tag everything myself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I ripped disc 1 and 3 using iTunes and that seemed to work but some data didn't seem to be tagged...but at least it was the important stuff like song titles.
I like toast!

Offline Allison

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »
iTunes had no problem finding information.... I just didn't need ALL of it on my track titles. And disc one had no composer - or only things like Darren Jessee on Brick. I was anal enough to fix that. And I had to give it an album artist (clearly Ben Folds) so it would all group together. Which is important when synchronizing with my ipod. Clearly.

My iTunes does, however, think there are four discs. I supposed the vault could be disc 4.

I have decided I really like Stumblin' Home musically as a BF5 track (I love the HL version. Clearly).... I just hate comparing Ben's vocals to Darren's. So I won't.

On the flip side. Mitch Easter version of Amelia Bright. Holy f*ck. Fantastic. I have been in love with that version from U Scranton for so long... to finally hear it as the Ben Folds Five version from 2000. I feel completed. The purchase price of the 3-disc set is worth this song.

I am a bit bummed that the artwork is mostly professional stuff. But that's probably what Folds Fan Fridays are for. Very cool. Probably got an overwhelming amount of stuff from us. I mean, seriously, I have a collection of shit. A wall of posters.... there's no way.

Also. Anyone else at any of these recordings? I know a handful of us were at the reunion....

I was at the aforementioned, the myspace recording, CLEARLY, and the Kylie from CT in Detroit. For extra note... I am present during the alternate take of the myspace recording. THANKS BURBS. Wherever that one kid got to who got me in, I am still so eternally grateful... we practiced SGH once I think, and Jesusland like way too many times. I still hear a pause in it where the guy falls. I expect it on the SFS recording.

Also. I think there is serious humor in the fact that Bitches Ain't Shit is on the Rare cd. God. Like people yell for anything else except that and The Luckiest. And Landed occasionally.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:14 AM »
Does anyone know the complete history of Ben's demo tapes? Going through the liner notes, underneath "Wandering" there's a picture of what I assume is the 1992 demo. However, Protection and Evaporated are also listed as 1992 demo in the vault but aren't on the tracklist in the picture. I assume those were recorded in the "Sony/Tree" era and just not put on that tape. But in terms of full demo tapes, I know there's the 1990 demo, the 1992 demo, and the 1994 BFF demo, am I missing something?

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2011, 01:50:25 AM »
Also, is anyone else utterly blown away by how much BFF's sound changed b/t the unreleased 1st album and the ST? Good call on the shelving.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2011, 06:41:01 AM »
On the flip side. Mitch Easter version of Amelia Bright. Holy f*ck. Fantastic. I have been in love with that version from U Scranton for so long... to finally hear it as the Ben Folds Five version from 2000. I feel completed. The purchase price of the 3-disc set is worth this song

This.  A million times this.  I love the Hotel Lights version, but damn.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline Zeek

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2011, 07:05:20 AM »
I don't think their version of Amelia is that great.  Ben flubs up a few times and sounds like he's reading the words on the fly.  Everything else about the track is good, though, but the vocals are just "meh."

I do enjoy the version of Julianne on there, however, considering that's the one song I've absolutely hated since I started listening to Folds/Folds Five.  I like the extra 'twang thrown in there, since it's so unexpected and actually sounds decent.

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
The three buttons and the "Hello My Name Is Silverman" sticker on the inside left cover were send in by me!  The three buttons were various bootleg eBay fan-made cheapies, all from different Christmas/birthday/anniversary presents.  The white one has rust spots on it from me wearing it on my "punk rock" jacket for years.  The sticker was from my college radio days.  

Offline Allison

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2011, 11:57:11 AM »
The three buttons and the "Hello My Name Is Silverman" sticker on the inside left cover were send in by me!  The three buttons were various bootleg eBay fan-made cheapies, all from different Christmas/birthday/anniversary presents.  The white one has rust spots on it from me wearing it on my "punk rock" jacket for years.  The sticker was from my college radio days. 
Ha. I know three or four people who are claiming the Silverman sticker as theirs. I'm willing to bet it's actually Ben's. I have one on my wall. A lot of the stuff appears to be his shit. Anywho....
I have some of those buttons too!  Not the same ones as you have though. Strange. I've got a WAEA one on my wallet. And one that looks like the Live album is no longer circular from having gotten stepped on when it was once attached to my college backpack. :)

Also, is anyone else utterly blown away by how much BFF's sound changed b/t the unreleased 1st album and the ST? Good call on the shelving.

Have you heard some of Ben's oldest recordings? Like the demo for Kalamazoo? Seriously. Thank God Ben met Darren and Robert and whoever else changed him along the way. Kalamazoo back then is funny to me, but if he had released it like that? Thank you for the EP version. :D

I don't think their version of Amelia is that great.  Ben flubs up a few times and sounds like he's reading the words on the fly.  Everything else about the track is good, though, but the vocals are just "meh."
It's a demo version, you can actually hear him throw a paper somewhere in the beginning of the song.  I love the way Ben sings it. Darren sings it just as well, but christ.... for people who have picked on Ben's singing voice across the years. f*ck 'em. (I used to live with one for years. Great friend, but musically I believe she is stunted.) I love the way Ben sings the word doubt and sky. and shit. I have a Shawn reaction to this song every time.

Also what happened to Nonesuch? This is back on Sony? I was looking forward to indie-label ben. I am sure that they don't want to lose their TV star now. Or maybe Nonesuch was cause of Hornby? Anyone know?
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »
The three buttons and the "Hello My Name Is Silverman" sticker on the inside left cover were send in by me!  The three buttons were various bootleg eBay fan-made cheapies, all from different Christmas/birthday/anniversary presents.  The white one has rust spots on it from me wearing it on my "punk rock" jacket for years.  The sticker was from my college radio days.  
Ha. I know three or four people who are claiming the Silverman sticker as theirs. I'm willing to bet it's actually Ben's. I have one on my wall. A lot of the stuff appears to be his shit. Anywho....
I have some of those buttons too!  Not the same ones as you have though. Strange. I've got a WAEA one on my wallet. And one that looks like the Live album is no longer circular from having gotten stepped on when it was once attached to my college backpack. :)

Probably so.  I mean, the email I got from whoever ran that gmail address specifically mentioned the Silverman sticker, but they might've asked permission from everyone who sent that in just to be on the safe side.  

I'm willing to guess it's on Sony because it would have taken some epic legal wrangling to get all the tracks he recorded from Sony on a non-affiliated label's release. 

Offline Ben_Folds_Fan

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
Also. Anyone else at any of these recordings?

Houston Warehouse Live in October 2008 for Long Tall Texan