Ben on Jimmy Fallon Oct 14th

• 31 Replies

Offline Zeek

Re: Ben on Jimmy Fallon Oct 14th
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 09:07:23 AM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?tn3yop4rid1umpq - FLAC
http://www.mediafire.com/?1uz80qak0nkpk5o - mp3 (128kps)

Recorded via hulu @ 360p, full volume on the player, using the record stereo mix on Audacity.  Sounds nice.

(I'm using the latest beta of Audacity, and couldn't bother myself to figure out why I couldn't export an mp3 at anything above 128kps..  If anyone knows, please tell me.)

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »
anyone think Ben's voice sounded really good? That, and for being 44 he sure has a lot of energy and spunk. I can only hope to god I
'm as youthful as that in 20 years

Offline Prent

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 03:37:02 PM »
anyone think Ben's voice sounded really good? That, and for being 44 he sure has a lot of energy and spunk. I can only hope to god I
'm as youthful as that in 20 years
Yes, for once the vocals (on these talk shows) sounded really good and clear. His keyboard needed to be louder :(

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »
i felt like compared to the recording he was slightly off tune at parts (or somebody was) and yes the piano needed to be louder but it was electric and didnt sound good at all with the song in general. i think this needed to be done on a real piano. and i dont know where you saw spunk but like somebody said it was almost like a funeral with the lack of energy. overall not bens best tv performance
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline HVH

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 11:37:27 PM »
I was right!
I think I'll write a screenplay...

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »
Since they were playing Saskia, I felt they could've looked a little more energetic while playing.  Watching it felt like a funeral dirge compared to the album version.
plus it felt like they slowed the tempo down and it sounded WAY different and gross i thought. i hope thats not how he performs it in concert...
Yeah they didn't slow it down. At all. It may have been sped up a little and the only reason it sounds gross is because of ben's piano being turned WAY down.

It was a great performance for him.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 11:23:12 AM »
Since they were playing Saskia, I felt they could've looked a little more energetic while playing.  Watching it felt like a funeral dirge compared to the album version.
plus it felt like they slowed the tempo down and it sounded WAY different and gross i thought. i hope thats not how he performs it in concert...
Yeah they didn't slow it down. At all. It may have been sped up a little and the only reason it sounds gross is because of ben's piano being turned WAY down.

It was a great performance for him.
after listening to it second and third times you're right. something did feel off but it wasn't the piano.
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline Ziggysane

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 12:42:33 PM »
I'm bummed that Ben's been ditching the Baldwin as of late, although I understand that its mostly for timbre reasons as opposed to becoming a "keyboard" guy.  Still, his music loses a lot with the piano so low in the mix.  And I don't think that Yamaha (its one of the CP models that Billy Joel used to play I think) is a great sounding board to begin with.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »
I'm bummed that Ben's been ditching the Baldwin as of late, although I understand that its mostly for timbre reasons as opposed to becoming a "keyboard" guy.  Still, his music loses a lot with the piano so low in the mix.  And I don't think that Yamaha (its one of the CP models that Billy Joel used to play I think) is a great sounding board to begin with.

I thought the infamous Baldwin was lost in the flood?  I know he mentioned that they lost most of their touring gear.

Sure he could've gotten another, but still.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 10:38:37 AM »
I thought they rocked.  I liked it.  I have nothing critical to say about it. 

Offline worldswillgrow

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »
I also thought that Ben's voice sounded great. I don't know about the rest of the band, but I thought that Ben had plenty of energy and seemed to really be enjoying himself.

BASEBALL!

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
i really do think the song lacked a bit because you couldnt hear ANYTHING ben was playing on that piano for the most part. it had a very empty sound for most of the song. Ben's live performances are where he usually gets to really show off how insane he can be on the piano, and the fact that his part was almost muted really took away from the performance. sound levels aside (which is a hard thing to put aside..) i think Ben did great. it wasnt his fault that it lacked.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 02:02:37 AM »

I thought the infamous Baldwin was lost in the flood?  I know he mentioned that they lost most of their touring gear.

That thing was worth $10,000 or more I doubt he could really just instantly replace it. But yes he lost it in the flood.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Eric

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 04:26:58 AM »

That thing was worth $10,000 or more I doubt he could really just instantly replace it. But yes he lost it in the flood.
During one of the Lonely Interviews, I remember him saying something along the lines of it being covered by insurance and he got a replacement.

I could possibly just be making that up. :P

Offline Boz

• Slammin The Pimp Fantastic
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »

During one of the Lonely Interviews, I remember him saying something along the lines of it being covered by insurance and he got a replacement.

I could possibly just be making that up. :P

I've been spending way too much time on YouTube lately and thought this video could add to the discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru_ZthffRSc

Still waiting for that auction, hope to hear some updates about it soon.  (see also: Nashville Flood Impacts, Mobilizes Music Community - "Ben Folds, another Nashville transplant, lost two pianos, but he’s hoping to turn his loss into someone else’s gain by signing the remnants of his destroyed instruments and auctioning them off to benefit flood victims."; http://twitter.com/BenFolds/status/14939426987)
I know it's Pit.