Rolling Stone review of Lonely Avenue - 2 stars

• 21 Replies
Rolling Stone review of Lonely Avenue - 2 stars
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:08:01 AM »
Don't get too excited, this review is about as worthwhile as the one from Spin...

Bob Dylan wrote most of Desire with a playwright, but collaborations between musicians and literary figures are usually pretty painful. This one isn't without promise: Nick Hornby's novel High Fidelity  is a music-geek classic, and Ben Folds is great at turning wordy lyrics into crafty pop. But formal knowledge works against them as they go from unfunny Randy Newman ("Levi Johnston's Blues") to too-cute Barry Manilow ("Belinda") to overdone Elvis Costello ("Password," about breaking into a girlfriend's e-mail). Folds doesn't do a bad job shaping Hornby's clunky song prose, but even Dylan couldn't do much with "Hope is a liar, a cheat and a tease/Hope comes near you/Kick its backside."

Offline MikePigneguy (Kipp)

• Music is good.
Re: Rolling Stone review of Lonely Avenue - 2 stars
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »
Wait. They really chose the Picture Window chorus as one of the worst lyrics on the album? I'm confused.
Life is "Oh my God, if I tell him, he'll tell her, and then she will know I like her!"

Offline AirHockeyChampion

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
Wait. They really chose the Picture Window chorus as one of the worst lyrics on the album? I'm confused.

See, I told you that song sucked. That particular lyric is just bad and the way it's sung "tea-ehh-ease" is obnoxiously "bah-ahh-add" (sung like folds sings tease).

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »

See, I told you that song sucked. That particular lyric is just bad and the way it's sung "tea-ehh-ease" is obnoxiously "bah-ahh-add" (sung like folds sings tease).

Ah, so that's your validation, Rolling Stone says it sucks, so you're right!

You've made your point, I'm curious why you feel the need to keep beating the horse.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline MikePigneguy (Kipp)

• Music is good.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »

Ah, so that's your validation, Rolling Stone says it sucks, so you're right!

You've made your point, I'm curious why you feel the need to keep beating the horse.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
Life is "Oh my God, if I tell him, he'll tell her, and then she will know I like her!"

Offline AirHockeyChampion

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
Because you think the man can do no wrong, he's an incredible performer and writer. I also recognize that music is subjective, there's no definitive "good" or "bad". It's a lot like morality, there really is no right or wrong.

But here, in the suburbs, it's rare to find fault with the guy. I'm a giant fan, who happens to think "picture window" totally blows hard on an otherwise incredible album. Even rolling f*cking stone agrees with that sentiment, but still, the board majority think having an opinion like that is wrong.

I ask the question what song of his do you think blows? Answer ..... None?

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
Because you think the man can do no wrong, he's an incredible performer and writer. I also recognize that music is subjective, there's no definitive "good" or "bad". It's a lot like morality, there really is no right or wrong.

But here, in the suburbs, it's rare to find fault with the guy. I'm a giant fan, who happens to think "picture window" totally blows hard on an otherwise incredible album. Even rolling f*cking stone agrees with that sentiment, but still, the board majority think having an opinion like that is wrong.

the allmusic.com review picked Picture Window as one of the 3 standout songs on the album too.  So you're right, it's all subjective.

Plus, I stopped taking Rolling Stone's music reviews seriously after they put the Jonas Brothers on the cover.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »

Rolling Stone gave every Zeppelin record shit reviews. 20 years later, when said Zeppelin records were regarded as classics, RS hail those records as amazing. See, music critics love to be edgy and make waves because that makes them cool, until everybody loves what they're hating on; then they have to jump on board. So don't get too excited about rolling f*cking stone (as you put it)'s opinion.

As for your question to the board - I'm personally not a huge fan of "The Ascent of Stan." That song never really did anything for me. As a result, when people who like the song discuss it on the board I don't troll and shit all over the discussion. In other words, a better use of one's time might be discussing the things they DO like about their favorite artist, not deliberately trying to piss other fans off. Otherwise spending time posting on a FAN site seems contradictory...

Offline perthgirl

• Up with this I will not put - Bernard Black
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 05:38:28 AM »

I think you're making broad generalisations about Burbians that ain't necessarily so.  I dislike Regrets.  Intensely.  But I don't want to take away from other people's enjoyment of it.  I'm willing to say I love Julianne and Rent-a-Cop which routinely gets me shot down in flames but, meh, I'm the one that's gonna listen to it and enjoy it at the end of the day and not really give a shit about what's been said here and elsewhere. For me, WTN fake beats the 'real' one hands down for the sheer intensity that it was written and recorded so quickly, which I think shows on the tracks.  I love the cleverness of Chat Roulette and RTB (even after all this time).  I have a number of Ben's tracks I skip cos they just don't do it for me (but Regrets is by far the standout).

Make the statement, contribute to the debate, press 'skip' when it comes on your chosen sound medium.  Done.
It's easy to be easy and free when it doesn't mean anything...

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 06:30:28 AM »
i think it gets a little bit boring when you just point out the good stuff. it's like the org where they started hating ben folds when he went solo but in an opposite way. for me, picture window is not the greatest song ever written and propably not the worst.

Offline Zeek

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 06:42:43 AM »
Considering the only comparison you have to this place is the Dotorg, of course theSuburbs will look like a bunch of kiss asses.  I dislike Picture Window for the most part now, but I don't care enough to write about it over and over, and troll about it for that matter.  Just keep in mind that your original post in "Picture Window is Awful" was a vague "this is shit" sort of statement that gave barely much of a reason as to why you didn't like it (DAVID's later post in that thread sums it up well).  As that's probably why the people who do like the song wondered for the distaste for it, and, in turn, attacked you, since your reasoning was barely anything from the get-go.

I'm not digging LA myself as a whole right now, but I'm thinking that after a couple more listens, it'll grow on me.  At least I hope it will.  I mean, I used to hate Messner as a whole for the longest time before it finally grew on me, and now it's one of my favorites.  Same went for WTN, but that's still shaky ground.

I can't stand listening to Working Day, really; reminds me too much of the Radio song from SfG.

---

As for something on topic, that review is far too short and uncomprehensive to give the album a rating.  They should've at least mentioned From Above or Doc Pomus.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:04:27 AM »

Yes, music listening is subjective.  I'm glad you've got a little meter in your brain that goes from "sucks" to "rocks," but when talking to people about why you don't like something, saying "it sucks!" and then following it up with "it sucks!" is worthless.

I think having an opinion that you can't or won't explain, in the slightest, is wrong.  Do you not like the strings?  Did the word choice of "backside" seem silly to you? Do you personally hate hospitals and realize that you might be the only person who hates this song for that reason, but at least it's a reason? 

What song of his do I think blows?  I wouldn't use the word blows, really.  I'm not a big fan of the stranger songs on Naked Baby Photos (Satan is my master, for those of ya'll who wear fannie packs, etc.) or much of Fear of Pop.  As for his actual releases I actually do like them all, but I rarely listen to Sports and Wine and will be the first to tell you that Hiroshima is one of his worst songs (least good is probably a better phrase, I think).

You're saying that music taste is subjective, and it is.  The thing I don't know that your realizing is that the word "sucks" tends to hit on both the quality and your taste.  It's entirely possible to admit something is good, even if you don't like it.  And if you think it's bad and you don't like it, it'd be awesome if you could actually articulate it. 

This argument is not be defending Ben's music, but rather asking you to support what you're saying, so that we might understand why you feel this way.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline Allison

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
I'll be particularly honest here. Can't say LA has wowed me at all yet. I do particularly like the strings on PW, but I have had a love for that song's story since I first heard it... I've always been a sucker for the sad and depressing life story songs (not just so and so dumped me - but the extraneous ones). That being said, as much "fun" as Levi Johnston's can be..... it just screams Bside to me. And I hate the damn juice line for no particular reason. Stems from a camp song about Moose I think.... anyway. I'm hoping the record will grow on me? Still waiting for WtN to show me all it's got - though the other day I did put it on (well S&S) cause I was craving the Real Bitch Went Nuts for some reason. No idea why. Belinda is meh to me. Practical Amanda must have stuck with me from Chicago cause I still knew a good chunk of words after one listen in April....... And I don't know what at all to think about Working Day or Your Dogs. Maybe it's the cold...?  (i am a bit hard of hearing right now) it has impacted my experience, I think. But I'm struggling to not to listen again to Everything Under the Sun or Four Thieves which have been my two records I've been juggling back and forth all month. Shrug, it is what it is.

In the long run, if music taste is subjective, let the people who like Picture Window like it. And you don't have to. I'm not gonna make you. I still feel horrible for the woman in the story and my heart breaks for her each time. No matter how Ben says tease. (That being said, I can't stand the way he says hours in Cologne, Mel can't listen to Boxing cause of the way he says Howard)
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 01:20:43 PM »
Mel can't listen to Boxing cause of the way he says Howard)

oh, god... i can hear him singing it in my head over and over slowly turning me to a crazy.

also...
I do particularly like the strings on PW

booo!  i think there's something off about the string arrangement.  it doesn't particularly add anything to the feeling and emotions being evoked by the lyrics.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »
I kind of get the feeling Folds played with a lot of these songs a little too much, tweaking and retweaking until they became so busy they're difficult to listen to. I enjoy the album, and the songs are terrific, I just wish they were a little more - I dunno, organic? I much prefer the "pop version" of Picture Window to the album cut, and not that anyone asked, but I think The Christian Life belongs on the record and Levi Johnson's Blues is the B-Side. I'll be listening to my vinyl copy this weekend, and perhaps that will change my mind.