Re: "Picture Window" Is Awful
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 11:41:17 AM »
who put the asterisk in there?  this website blows.  seacrest out

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »
f*ck

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »
ok that's better.  airhockeychup if you're reading this we need you to start posting at ben.org again immediately \m/ :D ;D

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 04:23:08 AM »
I just think "Picture Window" is a stain on an otherwise great album. In my opinion, it sucks. I generally don't comment on demo versions, because that's what they are, demo's. I had no opinion on the former MP3, but the official song, on the official release, is just a sour spot. I don't know who this song was intended for, if it's released as a single, I imagine it's to recreate some "brick" like buzz or something. I just don't get where it fits with the rest of the LP.

Just sharing my opinion, not looking for attention, no different than the rest of you.

Your opinion is that it sucks, but the only justification you can give is that you "don't know who it was intended for."

Go back and think about it some more and articulate whatever the hell it is you think is wrong with it if you're going to call it a "stain."  The lyrics compare to the rest of the album, the actual music does too.  I could at least understand if you were talking about Levi's Blues, as it doesn't really fit thematically or musically with most of the album (or with most of Folds' stuff for that matter).

There's nothing wrong with disliking a song, but if you're going to say something is bad, it'd be nice to have a justification for it that those of us who might like the song could at least understand what you're trying to say.

Agreed, the title of the album is "Lonely Avenue".  I just got the album today and have not explored it like I want to but I do catch a common theme about loneliness.  1.  "Working Day" - about how artist feel that their work sucks, definitely a lonely feeling.  3.  Levi Johnston Blues - a blues song about how sh*tty it would feel to be Levi, definitely a lonely feeling.  4.  Doc Pomus - a dude in a wheelchair, definitely lonely.  6.  Claires 9th - little girl with divorced parents, again definitely a lonely feeling.  and finally 2.  Picture Window - a story about someone in the midst of a trying time, a person trying to hide the human nature of optimism, definitely lonely.   How could you even say that "Picture Window" does not belong on the album?  Riddle me that. 
"Picture Window" is my personal favorite, beautifully written, beautifully performed.

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 04:59:33 AM »
I like your interpretation but originally they were gonna call it tomato.
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 05:58:14 AM »
I like your interpretation but originally they were gonna call it tomato.

Not exactly, Alex. They may have played around with ridiculous titles before the baby had a name (like people who call their unborn child the hybrid, or bean or whatever) but those names are placeholders for the real thing, when the project is complete and they can step back and say, "Hmm.. this one looks like a Sally" or, in this case, a "Lonely Avenue."  I get the loneliness theme, too, which makes the title especially apt (given that it's referenced in "Doc Pomus" and was one of the songs Pomus wrote).

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 03:00:48 PM »
like Prison Food?
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline Ziggysane

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2010, 03:27:33 PM »
Agreed on the backups not being Ben, I don't think.  I mean, if you're going to put KMH on two (or more?) tracks, I don't see why you wouldn't have Sam and either Jared or the new bassist doing backups too.

It's a mix.  Sometimes it's all Ben (which I think sounds great), and other times it's Sam and Jared, with Kate and others chipping in on select songs as well.

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 03:48:52 PM »
Here are my thoughts concerning 'Picture Window' as of today after a number of listens while driving around town…etc…. Currently I slightly favor the stripped down demo version with the moving French horn but I'm certain the stringed arrangement will win me over with more listens over time.  I'm wondering if this track got the Phil Spector "Long and Winding Road' track treatment that I read Paul McCartney had issues with <Phil Spektor wall of sound> (I am always hesitant as to how much to believe in a story put out there by both the artist and the industry…It’s an interesting story and brings buzz to the Beatles track). I enjoy both the "wall of sound" arrangement and the stripped down version of that Beatles tune…similar to the way I expect to arrive at the same opinion with these two very different versions of ‘Picture Window’. I hope I  phrased my opinion without causing too much misunderstanding. ..I’m not a flamer post kind of guy...either way more talk about Ben on the internets equals more buzz and perhaps more album/track sales for our favorite piano hero.  Take care everyone -Th :)
I like toast!

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »
Cross posted from the album thread...

In regard to Picture Window, I've realized my issue with the solo is not necessarily the lack of a horn, or the strings, but rather that the strings and piano appear to stay at the same volume as when he's singing - in otherwords, the piano and strings both seem to stay at background level with nothing in the forefront.

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 06:41:43 PM »
like Prison Food?

I dunno, that one almost seems to fit the song.  Like, you need food to survive, but this food, it's pretty terrible, you feel like you're in a prison when you eat it, why not break out of prison and enjoy some better food! (Yes, I just tried to work that into a struggling relationship + divorce metaphor)

Offline Zeek

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 07:59:02 PM »
I feel as though the piano isn't as powerful enough, or something, for this song.  I can't really place why, but I do understand why this song isn't flying well (but I wouldn't call it the worst thing he's ever done).

The live solo bootlegs of it sound so much better, imho.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »
Here are my thoughts concerning 'Picture Window' as of today after a number of listens while driving around town…etc…. Currently I slightly favor the stripped down demo version with the moving French horn

this.
there just seems to be something off with the string arrangement to me.
where as the power of the demo/stripped down version really caught my ear.  gonna be a good live tune though, i suspect.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/