"Picture Window" Is Awful

• 49 Replies
Re: "Picture Window" Is Awful
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 02:25:53 AM »
Yeah, it's the weakest spot on the album, I'm bummed that it's the second track. I guess I'll have to skip to track 3 on the vinyl, because it'd be hard to avoid "Brick II".

But an otherwise great album. Too bad the sour mark is so close to the front of the disc.

I love ben's music, but I'm more of an honest fan, I don't have to think every track is great and this one just sticks out to me. Sorry to rain on the parade of love here or whatever.

It's not a parade of love - I don't think every track is great either. By all means express your opinion. It was the way that you did so, belittling those who may like the song with the "ugh, who was it intended for", that annoyed.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
Yeah, it's the weakest spot on the album, I'm bummed that it's the second track. I guess I'll have to skip to track 3 on the vinyl, because it'd be hard to avoid "Brick II".

But an otherwise great album. Too bad the sour mark is so close to the front of the disc.

I love ben's music, but I'm more of an honest fan, I don't have to think every track is great and this one just sticks out to me. Sorry to rain on the parade of love here or whatever.

I don't want to actually argue with you over this, but you still can't seem to articulate what you don't like about the song, other than that it reminds you of Brick, I guess?

I came into this thread expecting to have someone actually making a case for why it's a bad song, something I might be able to understand.  There was discussion about Hiroshima that made me realize that, while I did enjoy it, it's probably one of the worst songs Ben's recorded.  Instead, we're treated with "I think it sucks."  Well, bravo, you have an opinion.

There's nothing wrong with just not liking something.  Sometimes a song rubs a person in just the wrong way, but I don't really know what you were looking for here by posting an opinion that you don't seem to be able to support with, well, anything?

I guess, to answer your question, Picture Window is intended for people that aren't you?  Maybe?
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »
i think the song structure is not bad at all, but the album version despite of the demo ist awfully overproduced. as on the whole album a little less string (picture window, belinda) stets and synth (saskia, from above, working day) here and there would have made LA a much better album than it is now.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 03:48:58 PM »
I actually enjoy a lot of the different instrumentation, especially the synth use -- no fun in playing the same thing on every album, right?

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »
the man's sound has changed over the years, that's fine with me. but there are two things i always loved ben folds for: piano and lyrics. on LA piano is very reduced and the lyrics aren't his. and thats my second point: is anybody hearing any differences between ben's and nick's lyrics? their style sounds very much the same to me. don't get me wrong, i like LA and i'm not a fan of the org, i awaited and hoped for much more.

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting the album ...then listening to the final version before getting back to AirhockeyChampion as to weather or not I agree with his statement and the reasons why ;)
I like toast!

Offline vosnos

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »
This is pretty much what I posted on the org (Yes there's actually some serious discussion going on over there about LA):

I think there's way too much synth on this album and I also think it's "overproduced." It sounds too polished to me...I love the demo tapes/waea style of recording. And I feel that Ben is neglecting the piano in favor of the synth on a lot of songs and it just doesn't fit his style well. Like in Working Day, he could easily replace all the synth with piano riffs and it would sound much more authentic and I could take it a little more seriously...I guess he's just getting lazier.  To those of you saying you enjoy the new synth sounds, I can understand that people enjoy new musical direction and that certain styles may get "old" but for me, the BFF style of music is what I fell in love with and this really sounds nothing like that (or even RTS/SFS).  Which leads me to my next point...

I really wish Ben would incorporate more bass into the songs and take out some strings.  On top of the synth, I'm really not a fan of the instrumentation on the album.  The basslines in BFF were one of the huge reasons I loved them. Ben's decision to downplay the bass really bummed me out.  The strings just take the edge out of the songs and make them way too soft and gentle for my taste.

Another thing I don't like is all the (for lack of a better term) layering of his voices. It'll be like 3 Bens singing at the same time in harmony and I think it's just unnecessary. That could tie into the overproduced aspect of the album.  I think it worked well in BFF because Darren and Robert's voices meshed so well but employing this technique by yourself was something I could've done without.

But I do like some songs on the album. Doc Pomus is my initial favorite and I think the chorus is fantastic. Your Dogs is pretty catchy and I love the pre-chorus part of Levi (So i say mother in law...) From Above I would've preferred a little slower but it's a nice song. I think Saskia Hamilton is growing on me and will be great in concert. Not liking Password yet...that spelling bee bit is too annoying. Claire's 9th, Belinda, and Practical Amanda are average as of now.  As for Picture Window, I'm not a fan yet.  I'll have to listen to it a few more times to really analyze it but I agree with some of the points AirHockeyChampion made.  As with all the other songs, none of these judgments are final and I do want to like every song on the album.  Hopefully it just takes more listens.

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 08:31:39 PM »
I think there's way too much synth on this album and I also think it's "overproduced." It sounds too polished to me...I love the demo tapes/waea style of recording. And I feel that Ben is neglecting the piano in favor of the synth on a lot of songs and it just doesn't fit his style well. Like in Working Day, he could easily replace all the synth with piano riffs and it would sound much more authentic and I could take it a little more seriously...I guess he's just getting lazier.  To those of you saying you enjoy the new synth sounds, I can understand that people enjoy new musical direction and that certain styles may get "old" but for me, the BFF style of music is what I fell in love with and this really sounds nothing like that (or even RTS/SFS).  Which leads me to my next point...

I really wish Ben would incorporate more bass into the songs and take out some strings.  On top of the synth, I'm really not a fan of the instrumentation on the album.  The basslines in BFF were one of the huge reasons I loved them. Ben's decision to downplay the bass really bummed me out.  The strings just take the edge out of the songs and make them way too soft and gentle for my taste.

Another thing I don't like is all the (for lack of a better term) layering of his voices. It'll be like 3 Bens singing at the same time in harmony and I think it's just unnecessary. That could tie into the overproduced aspect of the album.  I think it worked well in BFF because Darren and Robert's voices meshed so well but employing this technique by yourself was something I could've done without.

I forgot whether I read it or heard it in a interview, but I remember pretty clearly Ben saying something along the lines how he wanted the focus of the album to be the lyrics, and so the instrumentation would be geared more towards that, which is probably why you don't hear any crazy piano solos and prominent bass work.  I'm sure the next "conventional" album, whenver it comes out in the near future, will feature more of both (like WtN for example, though I think LA is the better album despite different instrumentation).

I'm not sure why you think using the synth is lazy -- I actually think sort of the opposite, in that it'd be easy just to take the simple trio approach to every song.

And I'm pretty sure the back up vocals on the album are Jared and Sam... all the "3 Bens" stuff was on RtS  (And "The Bens"  :P ).  Unless you're referring to the double-tracking, which is usually a good and necessary thing.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 01:19:26 AM »
I can understand that people enjoy new musical direction and that certain styles may get "old" but for me, the BFF style of music is what I fell in love with and this really sounds nothing like that (or even RTS/SFS).
Exactly. I do like what I've heard of Lonely Avenue (if there's one thing Ben can do, it's melodies), but I love WAEA and all the BFF stuff, and Ben live much more than his more recent solo stuff.

Although - more Fear of Pop please!

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »
Agreed on the backups not being Ben, I don't think.  I mean, if you're going to put KMH on two (or more?) tracks, I don't see why you wouldn't have Sam and either Jared or the new bassist doing backups too.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline 88kickinkeys

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
I agree with AirHockeyChamp, this song is boring. It's just extremely bland and musically uninteresting. The lyrics are fine but without good music, good lyrics do nothing for me.

Offline 88kickinkeys

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 11:03:29 AM »
I like most of the rest of the album though.

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »
"Vosnos" opinions are his own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the benfolds.org website or it's patrons.

Offline 88kickinkeys

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
*its

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 11:23:32 AM »
oops.
ilat, imo