Live in Kansas City July 23rd

• 46 Replies

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
Re: Live in Kansas City July 23rd
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
Folds is the headliner, so headliners generally play last. Still, I'm surprised to see he only gets an hour and not 1.5 to play.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 08:22:35 PM »
he's listed first (and largest) and pictured on the ad.  Usually means he's the big attraction, which often puts him at last in the play order
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 05:40:19 AM »
Here in Knoxville Flogging Molly opened for Passion Pit. I mean on the bill and everything it was Passion Pit in big bold letters but as I talked to everyone around me in the line the response I got the most after mentioning them was, "Who the f*ck is Passion Pit?"

Seriously, they got to play for like two hours or so I think and Flogging Molly only got an hour. I was a little miffed at this but at the same I kept wondering who UT put in charge of that. That guy should be fired seriously.

Ben played that exact same concert thing too in '06. UT's end of the year celebration thing. I can't remember what it's called.

Wait, yes I do, it's called Volapalooza. So lame.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 10:53:08 PM »
If nobody minds I'll be the one to write the setlist
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »
If nobody minds I'll be the one to write the setlist

*punch*

Effington
Annie Waits
Sentimental Guy
Still Fighting It
Bitch Went Nutz
You Don't Know Me
Secret Life Of Morgan Davis
Zak And Sara
Landed
Hiroshima (B-B-Benny Hit His Head)
Steven's Last Night In Town (drum solo)
Rockin' The Suburbs
Kate
Levi Johnston's Blues
Army
---
Not The Same

Wish he would've played longer, it would've been great. I always prefer just Ben + a piano. Liked how the crowd did the female vox on You Don't Know Me, and I think this is the first time I've heard Steven!

Crowd was shit. Full of underage sh*theads who just wanted to get high and yell at their friends. But what do you expect from City Market? I probably won't be seeing Ben there again.

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 12:21:41 AM »
There's also the story of the story of the barstool in the ass! Great story. Also when he sang Levi I felt like I was only one singing....:/
"I'd like to say f*ck you in the nose, but i'm too evolved for that kind of thing now."-Ben Folds

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »
Oh and there was some mosh pitting where I was standing and it sucked.

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »

There are mosh pits at Ben Folds shows?
I like toast!

Offline AlexKintzle

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 04:52:32 PM »
It was during silversun but yeah the started pushing and shoving the got kicked out.

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »

There kind of was at the Chicago St Pat's block party last year (where I was standing at least).  the group I was around had some kind of vague group swaying thing going on that got much more lively with picture window, of all songs.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »

There kind of was at the Chicago St Pat's block party last year (where I was standing at least).  the group I was around had some kind of vague group swaying thing going on that got much more lively with picture window, of all songs.

A mosh pit and/or group sway more lively with picture window? I was initially surprised that one would be attempted at a Ben Folds show...but to have one appear (mosh and/or group sway)  to intensify during 'Picture Window' is even more unexpected.
I like toast!

Offline worldswillgrow

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »

There was a mosh pit-of-sorts that formed when Ben played in Minneapolis last October. In Orchestra freaking Hall of all places.

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 05:58:26 AM »

There was a mosh pit-of-sorts that formed when Ben played in Minneapolis last October. In Orchestra freaking Hall of all places.

For an orchestra show. That was one of the best crowds we'd ever been a part of. Good times.

The City Market was hot.

I'm officially a Crash Kings fan - those guys are incredible. Loved their whole set.

I sort of tuned out during Against Me! I liked them better when they were Social Distortion.

DEVO was good. I wasn't blown away. They do what they do really well, and they're iconic, so I'm glad to have seen them, but I wouldn't seek out a DEVO show.

Silversun Pickups. *sigh* I had high hopes for this band, and they rocked. But then the lead guy did like three really long, really uncomfortable guitar solos, which was the most self-indulgent display of bullshittery I've witnessed in recent times. I wanted to like them, especially since they have a girl bassist who looked like a young Allison Janney from where we were standing, and that was cool. But lead guitar guy, you suck.

Ben Folds. Rocked. Per usual.

We did not do the whole front row thing. Six hours is far to long to stand in one place in the heat. Instead, we roamed around until Ben, then got right in the middle of a really sweaty crowd. It was stifling. We lasted about 30 minutes then had to roam around again.

Offline Iheartpiano

• I want to live in Effington!
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »
Ben folds and mosh pits. I would like to see that.
There's always someone cooler than you, so learn to live with what you are.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »
At the Sunflower Music Festival in Lawrence, KS circa 1997 (1998?), the crowd was moshing to Missing the War, so the guys played three slow tunes in a row because moshing to ballads was "just about the dumbest thing someone could do." The crowd took the hint and eventually settled down, only to pick back up when they broke out One Angry Dwarf.

I loathe festival crowds.