Annie Waits
All U Can Eat
Effington
Gone
Sentimental Guy
Emaline
Jesusland
Still Fighting It
Unreleased song (The Secret Life Of Morgan Davis)
Unreleased song (Girl [I think])
New Song - Picture Window
New Song - Levi Johnston's Blues
New Song - Belinda
You Don't Know Me (feat. Kate Miller-Heidke)
Kate
Landed
Freebird/Rock This Bitch
Bastard
Dr. Yang
Such Great Heights (Postal Service Cover)
Army
Evaporated
Zak and Sara
Happy Birthday to Sydney
Not The Same

Encore:
Song for the Dumped
Narcolepsy
Philosophy

I'm not entirely sure of the second unreleased song, but he said he wrote it like a boy band. Hehe.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
Re: Lawrence, KS (10/26) setlist!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:46:33 AM »
f*cking hell, Such Great Heights AND Song for the Dumped?

I didn't think he played Such Great Heights anymore and this a very rare occurance for SFTD. I'm seriously jealous.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline JonahRank

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 04:33:23 AM »
Dog! Wow! Is this on YouTube?
http://www.jonahrank.com - personal website

http://www.oholiav.com - Viewing Arts & Entertainment Through a Jewish Lens

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 05:46:41 AM »
Dog! Wow! Is this on YouTube?

And 'Girl!' :D

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:24:51 AM »
I'm beginning to think that JPar and his girlfriend need to come with Frank and me to every show. We have too much fun.

That was indeed "Girl" - what a bad, bad song. Morgan Davis is one of my all-time favs though. That was a huge treat.

You forgot about the story cube - JPar's girlfriend has this dice set with pictures on them. You roll the dice and tell a story from the pictures you get. We wanted Ben to write a song based on his story, but he punked out and only told the story. C'est la vie.

Oh, and Kate Miller-Heidke pissed on the stage. That was also a huge treat.

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:28:01 AM »
Brilliant show last night in Lawrence - a town which brings back so many wonderful Foldsian memories for me! It was there, after all, on a frigid February night in 1994, that I first saw Ben Folds Five perform a sweltering set at the Bottleneck - an evening Ben reminisced about during his show last night at Liberty Hall, a venue he once felt was pretty big. My how times change.

The setlist has been posted, but I'll go through some highlights. Photos are up on my Facebook page, and I've posted a couple to Twitter as well. Those interested can find either fairly easily.

Over the weekend I launched a Twitter campaign (which Trashhook kindly reposted) asking that Ben play "Dog" in Lawrence. It's a song I don't recall ever seeing live, and my girlfriend loves it so. Since he was kind enough to serenade her in Kansas City for her birthday with Kate last May, I figured it was worth a shot. He replied saying he'd work on it, and try to remember. Sure enough, the lights went dim and out marched Folds. He sat at the piano, looked into the audience and said he was gonna play an old song, then looked at me, bowed, and said "I didn't get a chance to practice it..." Turns out he didn't need to - he remembered it pretty well and surprised the hell out of everyone by opening with one of my favorite songs off both his 1990 demos and the EP series - Dog. Elation. Folds is such a stand-up entertainer, and I always feel so lucky when he takes the time to do something so special for his fans. Plus it made the girl really happy. That's always a plus. Annie Waits came next, and surprisingly, the Lawrence crowd f*cked up the claps. Ah well, that gave way to All U Can Eat, which never fails to bring a smile to my face. Effington, Gone, and Sentimental Guy were all great, especially Gone, wherein he stopped singing the female vocal as soon as he heard the audience doing it, saying it "sound[ed] better when we sang it." Emaline has always been one of my top three Folds melodies, and he played it after telling a story from his early touring days with Ben Folds Five, which brought back a lot of memories for me, especially of watching them struggle to get the piano in the Bottleneck. I kinda which the next song had been Tom and Mary or another BF5 tune, but instead a VERY superb rendition of Jesusland followed. It's hard to hear it now without Sam's cymbal work, but I'm getting used to it and adored the hell out of the folks doing harmonies around me. Still Fighting It always goes over well, but that might be because the folks who were young when RtS came out have now lived enough to make the song a little more poignant for 'em. It must be funny to sit at those keys every night, while you grow older they stay the same. Folds treated us to two rarities, the first of which I last heard in Manhattan (I think, maybe it was Tulsa? They blur together.) as a request. The Secret Life of Morgan Davis, in which I helped him remember the words, and then instead of One Down, he busted out !!Girl!! SEXED UP! Yes. That Girl. Finally. No one around us knew the words, but everyone was laughing their asses off with each sexily coo'd "aaaaaaah" into the mic. The three "known" songs from the Foldsby project came up, and while Levi Johnston's Blues was the best received (and of the two times I've seen it live, this was by far the best), Picture Window remains my favorite. After Belinda, he crumpled up a sheet of paper and threw it directly at my face - so I now have the full, actual lyrics to the tune. He made me promise not to record the song with my own band. Folds' tremendous opener, Kate Miller-Heidke joined him on stage for You Don't Know Me and proceeded to obliterate that tune. She dominates it. Youtube that nonsense, you won't be sorry. After YDKM, Lynn, Frank, my girl and me started chanting "storycube!" Folds looked confused and came up to us, at which point my girlfriend handed him a set of Storycube dice. You're supposed to roll the dice and then make a full story, from beginning to middle to end based on the pictures you see. He politely took the cubes and said he'd play with them later, then busted into Kate (if anyone has his actual setlist, I'd like to know if this was the scheduled song, because I have a feeling he might have played it because he remembered us requesting it in May - but that could just be post-concert wishful thinking) and Landed before rolling the dice and crafting a funny tome about a man eating fish with a cigarette butt in it. He seemed a little flustered by it, sort of "why the hell did I do this?", but he was a great sport and stuck with it, even improvising lyrics to the tune of Freebird talking about his story and how it reminded him of being in grade school. This turned into a pretty spiffy Rock This Bitch for Lawrence, which led to five part counterharmonies in Bastard. Dr. Yang still sounds pretty good as a solo tune, but Folds did seem frustrated with the ending of the song last night. After that kid in St Louis hammed it up, it was nice to see Folds work his way straight through Such Great Heights - amazing piano work there. Army was the usual crowd pleaser, but by this point I was getting a little tired so I couldn't enjoy it as much as I usually do. My girlfriend stood in for Tom Maxwell and laughed right after the "redneck past is nipping at my heels" line, and Folds gave her a big ol' smile, which made her evening (okay, him playing with her storycube was maybe cooler, but that was a nice moment). While it's always a tough song for me to listen to, I really appreciated hearing Evaporated - and I'm glad he snapped me out of the sadness with Zak and Sara - wherein the Lawrence audience redeemed their poor timing during Annie Waits with spot on claps. Folds started teaching us the harmonies for Not the Same afterwards, but was interrupted by a girl asking him to play Happy Birthday. He stammered for a second, and then the audience started booing. Once again, the man stepped up and said "come on, don't boo her, it's her f*cking birthday. We can sing happy birthday." Then I yelled "in three part harmony?" He laughed, the closed his eyes and started coming up with harmonies for Happy Birthday! He created a chant which sounded very ominous - almost like the sort of birthday song you'd expect to be sung to Rosemary's Baby. At one point he even chanted "death." Spooky. Funny. Typical, gracious Folds. Not the Same closed the set, and he added a forth part for the sopranos which was really quite higher than I or anyone around me could go - not that it didn't stop us from trying. A jazzy Song for the Dumped opened the encore, sans any Japanese, followed by one of the most amazing renditions of Narcolepsy I've ever seen (no really, it was breathtaking) with a little Liz Phair tossed in, Folds was putting this rental piano through its paces. The evening closed with Philosophy, which Folds asked us to pray for him as he headed towards the end because "this piano really sucks." He Miserlou'd the f*ck out of it though, and received a well-deserved standing ovation from the crowd.

Ben Folds concert number 63 is one I'll remember for a long time to come. What makes Ben special is his ability to craft each performance into something unique to that night, moments akin to live theater which make even the most familiar of performances seem fresh and new each evening. In the same city where I first caught him live all the way back in 1994, Ben Folds delivered a one-of-a-kind experience which will be very hard for him to top - until he comes back 'round the block.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 07:11:45 AM »
Ben was nice enough to come down from his hotel and greet 30 or so fans who were hoping to meet him. I grabbed a couple of autographs and a picture. He was extremely cool/friendly/gracious with everyone, which I'm guessing comes as no surprise to those who have met him before.

Thanks for posting the setlist.

Offline jpar

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 07:35:06 AM »
Lynn and Frank were super cool and shot some video last night. You can scope Ben playing Dog and Storycube here: http://jpar.posterous.com/videos-from-last-nights-ben-folds-concert-in

Offline Allison

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29:52 AM »
I don't want to bust your bubble Justin, but he's been playing Kate after YDKM all tour.
Secondly, Morgan Davis must have been Mannhattan cause I've never seen it, and was in Tulsa.

Thanks for the awesome write up. And I hope your campaign of Dog and Sam's new tweets about it, treat us to it on Friday.

OH PS. Someone explain KMH peeing??
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline jpar

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »
I had a strong feeling it was wishful thinking on my part! Ah well, there were so many other amazing moments in this show, it'd take a hell of a lot more to burst my bubble!

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
Pondering a possible request list if I ever get in the same situation again at any future Ben Folds Performances. I requested 'Protection' and 'Still Fighting It' as a 2nd choice if he didn't remember how to play the 1st. He got thru about 1/4 or less of protection and of course had no problem performing an awsome solo version of 'Still Fighting It'. Think I'll write a list on paper next time beforehand with possibly 'Rocky' at the top? Has he ever played that tune within the past few years?
I like toast!

Offline Allison

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
hasn't played rocky since like 03ish?
Stats:

2 known live performances.
First performed: 2003-04-10 - St. Ambrose University/Adler Theatre, Davenport, IA, US.
Most recently performed: 2003-04-16 - Case Western Reserve University/Severence Hall, Cleveland, OH, US.
http://www.thesuburbs.org.uk/lyrics/rocky

i saw him do protection flawlessly in march of 06, with jared and lindz nonetheless.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:51:20 AM »
I don't want to bust your bubble Justin, but he's been playing Kate after YDKM all tour.
Secondly, Morgan Davis must have been Mannhattan cause I've never seen it, and was in Tulsa.

Thanks for the awesome write up. And I hope your campaign of Dog and Sam's new tweets about it, treat us to it on Friday.

After YDKM, Ben took pictures of Kate and her husband/guitarist interacting with the crowd. One was where the crowd was going crazy and acting like they're rock stars, one was us booing and flipping them off, and then Ben shot from behind while Kate poured a water bottle between her legs while flipping the crowd off so it looked like she pissed on stage. And her husband "kicked" someone in the front row's face.

Offline Allison

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »
here's lynn's video of Dog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVgtJwjzot4

After YDKM, Ben took pictures of Kate and her husband/guitarist interacting with the crowd. One was where the crowd was going crazy and acting like they're rock stars, one was us booing and flipping them off, and then Ben shot from behind while Kate poured a water bottle between her legs while flipping the crowd off so it looked like she pissed on stage. And her husband "kicked" someone in the front row's face.

HA. Awesome.

Offline jpar

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »

That girl was in Wichita the night before and was WAAAY too excited to get kicked in the face. She had fun though, and we hammed it up pretty good for the pictures.