Spokane, Washington 10/18/09 ...w/Spokane Symphony

• 9 Replies

Offline TrashSpork

Spokane, Washington 10/18/09 ...w/Spokane Symphony
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:57:10 PM »
Setlist for Ben Folds with Spokane Symphony Saturday Oct 18,2009

1st ½ hr was the Spokane Symphony conducted by Eckart Preu…and he is quite a character…very humorous individual. They played four tunes without Ben in the beginning. I never knew we had such a good symphony!

Ben’s Set started around 8:30 PM ~ish (give or take 15 min) and consisted of the following accompanied by the symphony.
1.   Zak and Sara
2.   Smoke
3.   The Ascent of Stan
4.   Landed
5.   Lullabye
6.   Gracie
7.   Cologne
8.   Effington
9.   Jesusland
10.   Not the Same
11.   Rock this Bitch (for the overanxious youth shouting in the back)
12.   Picture Window (One of the new tunes penned with Nick Hornby)
13.   Levi Johnston's Blues (another new tune penned with Nick Hornby)
14.   Stevens last night in town
15.   One angry dwarf & and 200 solemn faces
16.   Narcolepsy
Left stage for a few min

1st encore – Army (Solo)
2nd – Luckiest (Solo)
3rd – Protection (small part of it cause Ben doesn’t remember much of it) (Solo)
4th – Still Fighting it. (Solo)

Coolest thing was Ben gave a shout-out to ‘Trashhook’ (Me) as his wife sent him a text reminder to do so (Thank you @FleurFolds !) Additionally Ben asked me (Mr. Trashhook) for a request and I blurted out ‘Protection’ which sounded like it could be a problem for him cause it isn’t a tune he plays much so my 2nd pick was  ‘Still Fighting It’. Ben was kind enough to attempt ‘Protection’ but only got about a quarter of the way through...he was having a hard time remembering the words so he made a few lyrics up. Ben did a great job with ‘Still Fighting It’ and that was the end of the show.

The fanclub seats were incredible. Turns out Row ‘B’ ( as in Ben) was front row seating for this show. If there was any downside to sitting as close as we were it was that our point of view made it impossible to see either Sam or Jared (If he was there).The crowd at the Fox theater was great and I didn’t see much if any empty seats so I’m hopeful Ben will make it out here with greater frequency.
I like toast!

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
Re: Spokane, Washington 10/18/09 ...w/Spokane Symphony
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 11:36:14 PM »
Given the opportunity, I'd have hoped for "Bruised," as I have this sinking feeling he doesn't ever play it live.

Can't wait to go to one of these shows, I assume that the symphony tickets tend to run a bit more than normal ones?
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:42:08 PM »
$42 each plus the service charges for the tix...not too shabby. Here is a pic from the show 
I like toast!

Offline JonahRank

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 06:15:25 AM »
Have the Hornby songs been played with orchestra?
http://www.jonahrank.com - personal website

http://www.oholiav.com - Viewing Arts & Entertainment Through a Jewish Lens

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:50:44 AM »
No the Orchestra was out & seated during the two Horbny tunes but weren't playing. However I'm not sure if I heard a French horn or two during 'Picture Window'. I enjoy the tune so much it might have just been my imagination.
I like toast!

Offline Allison

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:59:16 AM »
Coolest thing was Ben gave a shout-out to ‘Trashhook’ (Me) as his wife sent him a text reminder to do so (Thank you @FleurFolds !) Additionally Ben asked me (Mr. Trashhook) for a request and I blurted out ‘Protection’ which sounded like it could be a problem for him cause it isn’t a tune he plays much so my 2nd pick was  ‘Still Fighting It’. Ben was kind enough to attempt ‘Protection’ but only got about a quarter of the way through...he was having a hard time remembering the words so he made a few lyrics up. Ben did a great job with ‘Still Fighting It’ and that was the end of the show.
AH! That's all sorts of awesome. And GREAT selection. ;D
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
I'm going to the Seattle show tomorrow, so this setlist will probably be pretty similar :D

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
However I'm not sure if I heard a French horn or two during 'Picture Window'.

I believe there was a French horn used in the Boston show a few weeks ago.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »
Question: how did people in the audience dress for the show?

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »
Question: how did people in the audience dress for the show?

Casual to semi-formal. I didn't see anyone wearing shorts or anything like that. Even the orchestra was dressed casual for the most part in black slacks and collared shirts. I saw very few if any ties. But then again temps were in the 40 and low 50s outside the evening of the show. I posted a pic of Ben towards the early part of this thread so you can see how he dressed (not too dissimilar to how his bobblehead is wardrobed).
I like toast!