Ben's Best Moments (in Song)

• 5 Replies
Ben's Best Moments (in Song)
« on: September 24, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »
I was listening to Reinhold Messner today (still his best work by far IMO)

And the fugelhorn (Bacharach section) in "Don't Change Your Plans" just gave me chills.
It's a PERFECT piece of music in that section alone. I kept rewinding and listening over and over - the arpeggios on the keys and that string section coupled with the strange chord finishing out the section.
It's deceptively happy but that last chord is just something else...a big question mark of sorts.
Genius.

What do you guys feel are some of Ben's best moments in certain songs?

Also, I love the vocoder part on "I Paid My Money" haha.

Re: Ben's Best Moments (in Song)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:27:42 AM »
For me, it's the middle part ("are you happy...") with the 3-part and harmonies and the last verse of "Wandering" (remember siiting on your car etc.). I don't know what it is exactly, but especially these two moments are so sad but at the same time so...warm-hearted and human (I can't put it in words). These parts alone are worth living  8)

Oh, and I also love "Evaporated", especially for that "it evaporated, see?"-part. Well, actually alomost every Folds or BFF song got its moments.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:58:12 PM »
I love to no end the way he sings awaKe in Julianne "being  awa-Ke" mmm tasty
In The Secret Life of Morgan Davis I love all thatís going on especially the "itís a boring Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife" 1/2 way through.
The claps after Ben says "because at home they got her smacked. clap clap clap." in zak and Sara. PRICELESS
You canít fool me I saw you when you came out..." in Gracie.
The piano solo for all you can eat.
Ben playing supper ass fast in 1 angry dwarf and 200solemn faces http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3TRhYs4oYY 
And obscurely so, Ben's cowboy voice in radio Jingles for Tokyo's inter FM.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »
Ben playing supper ass fast in 1 angry dwarf and 200solemn faces http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3TRhYs4oYY 

His singing cracks me up. He can barely get the words out but the solo playing cracks me up too. There are so many notes missing.

As for people saying Jared can't rock. Watch the damn video.

I'll have to go back and listen to all of his songs again to really remember my favorite parts. Number one on my mind is when he plays with a symphony and does the high "OOOOOOOHHHHHH, I'M DROWNING SAVE ME etc. etc." and he has a tenor behind him. Jesus that gives me chills every time.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:45:56 PM »
I am a huge sucker for the amazing chord progression in mess.

Offline Laura

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:25:25 AM »
i'm a little bit in love with the opening of "landed"
I almost gave in to positive thinking, but sarcasm came to the rescue