NBC's The Sing-Off - Celebrity Judge?

• 128 Replies

Offline azaam11

NBC's The Sing-Off - Celebrity Judge?
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
Is Ben going to be a celebrity judge at regional auditions or for the actual television show? What do you read it as? I would assume this is for real...

"Can you sing?
NBC is casting a wide net for a cappella groups to hum and howl on the network’s new reality show “The Sing-Off.’’ Based on an idea shopped around by Newton director Sam Weisman, the show won’t air until December, but the auditions are taking place this month. (There’s no New England date, but wannabes can audition Sept. 12 in New York, Sept. 14 in Chicago, Sept. 16 in Atlanta, or Sept. 19 in LA.) Weisman, who’s executive producing the show along with Joel Gallen of MTV’s “America’s Best Dance Crew’’ fame, and Deb Newmyer, said more than 200 groups have already signed up, and they run the gamut from buskers to full-blown professionals. “There are some extraordinarily talented people,’’ he said. So far, only one judge has been lined up, and that’s Ben Folds."

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2009/09/02/all_over_town/
As you might recall, Ben has worked with Joel Gallen before. Joel produced the MTV Movie Awards for which Ben composed the opening number for Jack Black to perform. Also Ben wrote music for Not Another Teen Movie which Joel Gallen directed.
The cruelest lies are often told without a word, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard.

Offline Erica

Re: Celebrity Judge
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:15:18 AM »
Ugh, and to think this might actually get me to watch reality TV.

I like Ben... but I don't know if I like Ben that much.

Okay, okay... I like Ben that much.  I'd watch it.  But I probably wouldn't tell anyone.

They had BETTER not introduce him as "the guy who plays 'Brick'".  I'd have to shoot myself.
h*ly f**king sh*t, but seriously.

Offline azaam11

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »
Haha, I agree. I do think it'd be cool to see him on tv for 8 weeks, though. I'd look forward to some smart ass comments coming from him. I just pray hasselhoff isn't one of the other judges....
The cruelest lies are often told without a word, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard.

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
PUMPED.

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »
Sooo this is why he's only doing symphony shows for a while. That makes sense, plus Jared's out with Brendan. No Ben related things for a while. Sad. :-[

However, I'm f*cking watching this show whenever it comes on.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline DAVID

• A little blurry, but his face is worth it!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:05:45 AM »
Apparently the first episode airs on the 14th of December, with 2 and 3 being on the 15th and 16th, and a finale on the 21st.  I thought there were 8 episodes planned though, so who knows.
"Wait, he said 'good things come to those who wait,' but you didn't wait too long" "Keep listening" Kristen, on me and "Bruised"

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 06:19:07 AM »
News Flash: Lynn's Degrees of Separation from Jessica Simpson's Hoo-Ha Has Sadly Gotten Smaller

There will be a new singing competition which presents everything raw. NBC is mulling a new TV show called "The Sing-Off" where contestants have to rely on their voice to get through the next round. Nick Lachey, the ex member of boyband 98 Degrees, has been tapped to host and he explained the rules.

"There is nowhere to hide when you're doing an a cappella song," Lachey told People. "There's no band behind you and dubbing. It's just you. It's just them naked on stage and what they have done to prepare is what will show through in that moment."

Unlike any other singing reality competition, "The Sing-Off" is only a four-night series that will begin on December 14. Auditions had been held in four major cities in September and eight singing groups have been selected to participate. The winner will get an Epic Records/Sony Entertainment recording contract.

"This is a fantastic feel-good series that viewers of all ages can enjoy," said Paul Telegdy, executive VP of alternative programming for NBC and Universal Media Studios. "To hear these singing groups recreate a popular song with only the sounds of their voices is truly amazing."

Offline makiko

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »
Here's a press release from NBC... :(
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20091123nbc01

NICK LACHEY TO HOST NBC'S A CAPPELLA SINGING COMPETITION 'THE SING-OFF' PREMIERING MONDAY, DECEMBER 14
Released by NBC

Four Night Holiday Event Series to Feature Celebrity Judges Ben Folds (Ben Folds Five), Shawn Stockman (Boyz II Men) and a Rotating Surprise Guest Judge Each Night

Eight Singing Groups Competing for an Epic Records/Sony Recording Contract Include: Beelzebubs (Boston, Massachusetts), Noteworthy (Provo, Utah), Face (Boulder, Colorado), Maxx Factor (Baltimore, Maryland), Nota (San Juan, Puerto Rico), The SoCals (Los Angeles, California), Solo (Omaha, Nebraska) and Voices of Lee (Cleveland, Tennessee).

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - November 23, 2009 - Multi-platinum recording artist Nick Lachey is set to host NBC's upcoming a cappella singing competition series, "The Sing-Off," a four night holiday event premiering Monday, December 14 (8-10 p.m. ET). The one-of-a-kind battle of voices will continue on December 15 and 16, culminating in a live finale on December 21 (each night 8-10 p.m. ET).

Celebrity judges set to critique the singing groups with their expertise are Ben Folds (Ben Folds Five), Shawn Stockman (Boyz II Men) and a rotating third judge who will be announced each night.

Eight a cappella groups will be competing in the competition for a $100,000 prize and an Epic Records/Sony recording contract. The a cappella groups competing include: Beelzebubs from Boston, Massachusetts; Noteworthy from Provo, Utah; Face from Boulder, Colorado; Maxx Factor from Baltimore, Maryland; Nota from San Juan Puerto Rico; The SoCals from Los Angeles, California; Solo from Omaha, Nebraska and Voices of Lee from Cleveland, Tennessee.

Lachey's stardom as a singer began as the writer and front man of the band 98 Degrees, selling millions of albums worldwide and charting several top-forty hits. He is currently putting the finishing touches on his highly anticipated third solo album "Coming Up For Air," which is set to be released in 2010.

Helping to guide the vocal talents of each group is Ben Folds, an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and former front man of the band Ben Folds Five. Folds, released an a cappella album earlier this year, which features the top collegiate a cappella groups from around the country. Also, on hand will be Shawn Stockman, an R&B singer who is best known from the vocal group Boyz II Men.

"The Sing-Off" will feature the a cappella groups performing popular songs from various genres, arranged and sung like you've never heard before. There is no lip-synching, back-up band or safety net. Ultimately America will decide the winning group.

"The Sing-Off" is produced by Tenth Planet Productions, Outlaw Productions and Sony Pictures Television. Joel Gallen, Deb Newmyer and Sam Weisman are executive producers. Josh Greenberg serves as co-executive producer.

Offline Allison

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »
Good for Ben! Let's see his music get some more exposure from this and maybe move a few more albums. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out for his career - and I hope he has some fun with it, too.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »
Good for Ben! Let's see his music get some more exposure from this and maybe move a few more albums. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out for his career - and I hope he has some fun with it, too.

But I heard Nick Lachey eats brains. Like a zombie...

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
Then Ben will just have to aim for the head when they meet.

Offline zinefiend

• this isn't a wine car!!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »

For some reason, this put the 98 Degrees song from Mulan in my head.  In related news, my best friend in 8th grade mooned their tour bus once. 

Offline Allison

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »

For some reason, this put the 98 Degrees song from Mulan in my head.  In related news, my best friend in 8th grade mooned their tour bus once. 

98 degrees... and... Stevie Wonder!

I f*cking love Mulan. Have since it came out in, what, 1997?

Somehow.... I'll... make a mannnnn out of youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Total sucker for those 90s Disney films.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!