Sunday's Request Show

• 67 Replies

Offline Allison

Re: Sunday's Request Show
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 08:17:37 AM »
I hope this turns out to be a very favorable experience for him, cause I know, for one, this kind of format would be something I'd like to see, even if just once.
So long as the hat isn't stacked with Zak and Sara, Brick and The Luckiest requests. Granted, I don't think he played any of those at my last gig.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline NickB

• So much time, so little to say...
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »
Yeah my greatest fear is that he keeps pulling Brick out of the hat and gives up... :/
"Couldn't you at least have written me a good one?

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »
Has Ben every played 'Protection' live before? From what we have heard from Sam on the last online question/answer thing as well as Twitter it seems he (Sam) wants to have a go at it.
I like toast!

Offline Allison

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
I've seen Protection, but it was before Sam was in the band. 2006.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline NickB

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 04:25:14 PM »
writing out my list today.... :)

Will be nice to be there with other fans who have probably already been this week and are going back for this unique experience!

Offline Euan

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 02:56:07 AM »
Woo hoo, f*ckin hell a request show, dont think i'd get over from the uk in time. damnit!

Get Sports and Wine and Uncle Walter and Julianne and Jackson Cannery out of him and I will want to cry due to not being there but will be happy enough listening to someones bootleg or youtube video.  Ah whatever he plays it'll be good. Cannot wait to see this setlist though.  Maybe this means he'll chuck in some obscurer songs into his future sets.

Offline NickB

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 05:37:58 AM »
Was awesome!!!! Didn't hear a lot of what I wanted to hear, but not surprising considering the amount of paper/requests that were on the stage.

I got a recording of it - but it's shit quality off phone, and I'll have to re-record it through audacity.

Off the top of my head, set list:

The Luckiest
Smoke
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Rockin' The Suburbs
Underground
Don't Change Your Plans
Tiny Dancer
Such Great Heights
Magic
Rock This Bitch (F# Major)
Kylie From Connecticut
Cigarette
Fred Jones pt. 2
Fred Jones Pt. 3
Hiroshima (Japanese version) - till 2nd Verse
Emaline (cut down)
Bitches Ain't Shit
Landed
Not The Same

Encore:
One Angry Dwarf

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 05:50:50 AM »
This was fecking brilliant show!!! Just got back - had a brilliant seat in the choir stands right behind Ben - there seemed to be a lot of folks there that knew the words (especially to Bitches Ain't Shit) unlike on Monday last. Predictably, the first and second songs out of the hat were The Luckiest (although technically the first one said "The Lucky One"). There were a few fluffed lines but he rocked through those with the assistance of the audience.

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 05:53:42 AM »
NickB is a way faster typer than me! I was just doing set list but took me longer. I concur with his memory of the evening .

Offline bundld

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 05:56:48 AM »
Possibly the best event, of an kind, that I've ever been to.

I managed to get Smoke requested, although I had to remind Ben of the words when he paused before 'where do all the secrets live'.

Highlight was singing Bitches Ain't Shit, while sitting next to my prudish mother.

The Fred Jones Trilogy was also great- in Part Three, he retires to Florida, wears baggy shorts and black socks, owns a metal detector and is still going strong- at 95. Ben said it never made an album 'because it was shit'. Fair enough.

Oh, and One Angry Dwarf as the Encore was like a musical orgasm. Now I have to work on an assignment that I should have been doing instead of attending this concert.
Ain't been through the cotton fields

Offline bundld

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 05:57:35 AM »
NickB is a way faster typer than me! I was just doing set list but took me longer. I concur with his memory of the evening .

The setlist is correct. I was busy all night writing it, and my 8 requests, down.
Ain't been through the cotton fields

Offline Never_Believer

• The Stool Sample
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 07:01:11 AM »
awesome show. met him again after. he signed my tambourine.

Recorded the show too on my phone. From a brief listen the quality is alright. Nothing to write home about. But good enough, I guess.

Really epic show. I would say this was a test run for shows he'll be doing in the future.

Myself and Franklin Mint put a total of about 45 requests in (we pre-wrote our requests) and not a single one was picked. However, others requested them.

I can now die happy after seeing Underground live.
Sham On!

Pull down your pants and slide on the ice!

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »

Smoke
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Rockin' The Suburbs
Underground
Don't Change Your Plans
Tiny Dancer
Such Great Heights
Magic

Gotta admit, that part of the setlist was worth the shakey idea of a requests show.
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.

Offline mightyb0y

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »
Sounds like we were all sitting quite close to each other.

I was in Row D seat 30 of the choir section. Was a great view, but didn't sound as good as Monday night's show did from in front.

I had some friends with me and they seemed to enjoy it, which was cool.

I wish there were more people singing along. I know most of the words, but I'm too bad a singer to participate unless everyone is :(

Was good fun!

Offline Aaron

• "I'm pissed off but I'm too polite"
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 03:49:20 PM »
Has Ben every played 'Protection' live before? From what we have heard from Sam on the last online question/answer thing as well as Twitter it seems he (Sam) wants to have a go at it.

Found this on wokeup:
http://wokeupwaytoolate.com/filedump/Solo%20Tracks/Ben%20Folds%20-%20Protection%20(live).mp3

I hope it becomes Sam's pick for the 9th song! (Or was it Jared that picks the 9th song? I don't remember. :P)

Recorded the show too on my phone. From a brief listen the quality is alright. Nothing to write home about. But good enough, I guess.

Crap quality or not, I'd love to hear it. BOWCCL would be interesting to hear solo. That and Fred Jones Pt. 3. :)
HOLY CRAP!!!!