landed
you don't know me
army
not the same
rockin' the suburbs

fair

The order might be a little off, but theyre all there
it was an amazing show, much better than the first time through w/way to normal
ben seemed really into it tonight and excited to cross oakland off the list of cities to play
sacramento state did an a cappella version of selfless cold and composed before ben came on

Offline cadet_applesauce

Re: 5/17/09 Oakland, CA Fox Theatre
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:34:56 AM »
i was here. it was definitely a rad show. so happy he played alice, emaline, and lullabye.
I NEED THE JACKSON CANNERY 7"!!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »
Fox Theater is a nice venue, sort of like a fancier version of the Warfield in San Francisco.  Apparently it had been closed for a few decades prior to being refurbished and reopened in February.

Just in case someone cares, here are some corrections to guster's posted set list, I was copying it down throughout:

Bitch Went Nutz
Effington (my guess at what the opener would be)
Lovesick Diagnostician
Dr. Yang
Hiroshima (didn't play this last time he was in the Bay)
String breaking improv (I think it was called "Stimulating the Economy"... while singing Ben said "This is a really terrible song")
Sentimental Guy
Alice Childress
Annie Waits
You To Thank
Philosophy (Misirilou/Pyser version)
Still Fighting It
Trusted
Get Naked (very short piano improv)
Free Coffee (I think he screwed up for a minute during this song, paused and continued)

Solo Folds section:
Fred Jones Part 2 (guess no one sings the bridge harmony with him anymore)
Emaline
Lullabye

Band returns:
Narcolepsy (with a very extended outro I hadn't heard before)
Landed
Losing Lisa (I don't remember hearing this in a while)
You Don't Know Me (with Ben and everyone singing Regina's part at the end)
Army (audience participation section begins)
Not The Same (Ben did an extended "conducting" of the audience voices at the end, sort of remixing it on the fly)
Rockin' The Suburbs (someone came out and played a keytar solo toward the end, that was new to me)

Encore:
Fair (easy to predict, but I never get tired of this song)

Overall Ben seemed relaxed and in good spirits.  As much as I love seeing Ben (this is probably the 8th or so time for me), it's disappointing to NEVER hear Sports and Wine, Air, The Last Polka, Missing The War, Hiro's Song, Rent A Cop, Fired, etc etc.  Songs like Army, Philosophy and Not The Same are great, don't get me wrong, but it seems like I've heard them at every single concert since they respectively came out.  The "fake" tracks are cool and amusing but honestly once you've laughed about them a few times I feel that they are easily replaced by other better (let's be honest, Ben even said they wrote most of them in half a day, I don't think he'd argue really) songs.  I would think "Brainwascht" or "Kylie From Connecticut" or "Cologne" would have been more welcome, personally.  The one song encore seemed oddly short, as well, but the concert wasn't, so all's fair.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ben, but having heard the same songs live so many times, it'd be cool to hear some things he either hasn't done or hasn't done a long time.  And maybe I'm still kind of bummed that I didn't win the meet and greet fan club passes and seem fated to be one of the 25% of you on here that HAVEN'T met Ben at least once.

Ah well, it was fun times in spite of getting beer spilled on me three times.  Next time instead of ordering a drink I'll just wring my clothes out into a cup. ;)

Offline cadet_applesauce

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »
This was only my second time seeing ben, but i really enjoyed this one. I was hoping he'd play Emaline once he played solo, and was caught off guard when he played Lullabye. I don't know how often he plays these songs, so hearing these live for the first time were a treat to me. Last time he came through the bay area, he pretty much only played WTN. i was thinking about yelling out for Sports and Polka, but him playing Emaline and Lullabye were enough to hold me over.

here's a video someone posted of free coffee. the improv, the mess up, and start over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViJnktIOHys

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:10:15 PM »
I went with my fiancée to this show, and it's a toss-up as to whether this show was better than the last one I went to (8/24/05; Mountain Winery in Saratoga), but it was excellent nonetheless. Wasn't too crazy about the opening act (solo girl and guitar... Lila something-or-other), but whatever. Other people may have liked her, so I'll keep my lips sealed about it.

Also, AudioDile's setlist is picture perfect, but as a prologue:
- the opening act
- 30-40 minutes of standing around
- the Sac State Jazz Choir (who was badass... I thought I knew a few people up there)
- 20-30 minutes of standing around
- Ben & Co. came out.
It was so unlike the 2002 show I went to at the Fillmore in SF (the one they pulled FJp2 from for BFL) and the Saratoga show, which were a 1-2-3 breeze through of sets. Anyway.

And AudioDile:
1) Too bad Ben didn't let ME up on stage, I was singing the McCrea harmonies like crazy. I asked Ben later (at the meet & greet) where John McCrea was for this show, and he said that he'd tried to reach him, but John didn't get back to him.
2) Ben DID mess up during Free Coffee, but he handled it with much class (and a "Sh*t!") and did a hilarious from-the-top, "33 rpm-on-45 rpm" Free Coffee to catch back up again... it would've been even funnier if he'd done a chipmunk voice, but we can't have everything. That tambourine guy walking around the stage for some songs and sitting on an ice chest was pretty d*mn funny anyway. (While I was writing this, applesauce has posted a youtube link...)
3) Some idiot kept yelling for Jesusland during the quietest part of the Not The Same harmonies part. Sucked.

One question: Does anyone know when he started NOT rehearsing the audience for Army's horn part anymore? He still "taught" us Not The Same (as if I didn't know the bass part by now), but with Army, he just assumed we all knew it... I know it must've been between late '05 and now, because he taught us at Saratoga.

As I indicated above, I ordered early enough to get the meet-and-greet (there were about 10 of us, 5 ticket holders + guest), and now AudioDile's making me feel bad, 'cause I met him and John McCrea once already, after the Fillmore show. It was a long walk to get down to the little artist lounge under the Theater. But I did get to hear Ben hum out the opening lines of Jesus Christ Superstar (when I told him my fiancée had been acting in a community theater performance of it earlier in the day). Interesting... One of the people who was awarded a meet-and-greet (nice girl, she'd just joined the fan club) is someone who does voice acting for The Sims video games, and (if I heard correctly) she told Ben that she might be able to hook him up with a voice acting guest role... that would be something to see... Ben speaking gibberish on The Sims. Other than those little tidbits, there wasn't much to tell; it was fairly quick... snapping pictures, getting things signed (I got him to sign two postcards from the PFJ welcome gift set... the ones of him and his camera... I've already got like 6 signed records, posters, etc. already, so I figured what the h*ll... postcards!!), the big group picture, and then "alright, see you soon, Ben!" (uh huh... I can hope).

I got tons more pictures than these sh*tty iPhone ones, but my girl has the camera right now with her...

(Tambourine guy is sitting on a blue ice chest about to tear it up for Effington)

(Got the acappella CD at the show... the meet and greet pass)

(the ticket and the two signed postcards... woo hoo!)

(Final note: I'm sure a certain someone will be overjoyed and may even try to make something snarky out of the fact I'm posting again, but I don't give a sh*t. I hope all of the rest of you are doing very well and finding something to enjoy somewhere in this horrible economy. I'm not here for trouble. One post: I'm in, I'm out. Peace.)

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:11:49 AM »
I was there too! I was AMAZED.
This was my first Ben Folds concert.
Emaline is quite possibly my favorite song of his and since I was at the very front of the crowd, every now and then I kind of quietly requested it. Ha!
You don't even know how happy I was when right after I said it, he played it!
I'm not sure if it was fate or he heard me... Either way, I was SUPER HAPPY.
There was this nice kid who was next to me the whole show and got one of the piano strings that got broken while Ben was rockin out. [2 of them broke, one was given to some older gentleman]... and he GAVE IT TO ME... It was kind of weird... I think he thought I was cute or something. But it was super nice! I have a piece of Ben's piano. I'm honored.
I was a little surprised at some of the songs he chose to play.
I'm kind of happy he didn't play a TON of stuff from his new album, I'm not diggin the whole thing. But the songs he played were good choices.
I got the rather creepy bobble head and the Zak and Sara shirt. That was one of my first favorite songs of his.
There was some drama with it being in Oakland. Understandably, my mother REALLY didn't want me to go.
But I'm SO GLAD I convinced her otherwise. I was with about 7 of my friends after all, I wasn't exactly alone.

The opening girl was strange. I was the one "woo"ing for her... Not so much because I was diggin the music, I'm just a good crowd member. Ha!

Also, I don't know about any of you but I was rocking out HARD to Ben.
This defiantly beats any concert I've ever been to.
He also played Fair, which is my best friend's favorite song, so she was happy.
AND PHILOSOPHY!
I could go on and on, but I won't...

It was a REALLY long set, I feel. Was it really an hour and a half?
Fantastic.

I had seen him one other time before I was a big fan. It was when he opened for John Mayer in '07, I believe.
I was there for John mostly because I only had Ben Folds Five: Whatever and ever amen and Ben Folds Live.
So, I didn't really know any songs other than those.

So I basically consider this my first time. And OH what a first time.
I can't even begin to describe it.
I think I would have exploded if I had the opportunity to meet him.
Straight up, guts everywhere.
In fact, I didn't know there was a special fans contest... So, that was a nice surprise.
Next time, next time...

;D

Oh wow.... this was a long post... SORRY!

Offline cadet_applesauce

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
He went on a few minutes before 9:30 (9:26-ish??), and we were outside of the theater at 11:30. so a good two hours.

Offline Allison

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »

One question: Does anyone know when he started NOT rehearsing the audience for Army's horn part anymore? He still "taught" us Not The Same (as if I didn't know the bass part by now), but with Army, he just assumed we all knew it... I know it must've been between late '05 and now, because he taught us at Saratoga.
Mid 07 I think.

As I indicated above, I ordered early enough to get the meet-and-greet (there were about 10 of us, 5 ticket holders + guest), and now AudioDile's making me feel bad, 'cause I met him and John McCrea once already, after the Fillmore show. It was a long walk to get down to the little artist lounge under the Theater. But I did get to hear Ben hum out the opening lines of Jesus Christ Superstar (when I told him my fiancée had been acting in a community theater performance of it earlier in the day). Interesting... One of the people who was awarded a meet-and-greet (nice girl, she'd just joined the fan club) is someone who does voice acting for The Sims video games, and (if I heard correctly) she told Ben that she might be able to hook him up with a voice acting guest role... that would be something to see... Ben speaking gibberish on The Sims. Other than those little tidbits, there wasn't much to tell; it was fairly quick... snapping pictures, getting things signed (I got him to sign two postcards from the PFJ welcome gift set... the ones of him and his camera... I've already got like 6 signed records, posters, etc. already, so I figured what the h*ll... postcards!!), the big group picture, and then "alright, see you soon, Ben!" (uh huh... I can hope).
Oh cool. Though, if Ben got me started on JCS I don't think I'd be able to stop.....
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 02:18:49 PM »
I'd totaly start playing The Sims again if he did a guest spot on it. Haha!

I could only imagine what he would have done if you mentioned My Fair Lady.
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:04:31 AM »
He went on a few minutes before 9:30 (9:26-ish??), and we were outside of the theater at 11:30. so a good two hours.

THAT'S SO COOL!
Most artists who I've seen play like... an hour.

You know what else I liked, he looked like he was REALLY having a good time. Not just playing his songs for the millionth time.
I loved that he was smiling, all of the band was.
They looked like they were having the f*ckin time of their lives.

He's the greatest...

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »
It was my first Ben Folds concert and I thought it was amazing.  He loved it when he messed up during Free Coffee and then went back to the beginning and played/sung the beginning really fast...hilarious.  I loved all the songs that he played. I think its funny that out of the first 4 songs he played 2 of them were "fake".