3-18-09 Des Moines, IA - Val Air Ballroom

• 24 Replies

Offline Allison

Re: 3-18-09 Des Moines, IA - Val Air Ballroom
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
oh and tom and mary has only been played like three or four times this tour because sam, jared, andrew and chad have no idea how to play it.

Lies. It was full band tonight.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
oh and tom and mary has only been played like three or four times this tour because sam, jared, andrew and chad have no idea how to play it.

Well they have no idea what they're doing when they play it. When i heard it, it was great but i think jared and sam went back and listened to it. but when i say don't know how to play it i mean that ben has sat down and told them what to do.

because jared seems to have the walking line down.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Allison

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 09:55:11 PM »

Well they have no idea what they're doing when they play it. When i heard it, it was great but i think jared and sam went back and listened to it. but when i say don't know how to play it i mean that ben has sat down and told them what to do.

i think that never happens. ever.

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 12:18:37 AM »

i think that never happens. ever.
probably not. it just seems kinda funny that they never really learn the licks themselves from him. i mean he's just the guy who wrote all of the songs he's playing i mean he should know what is going on...wait nvm. i just remembered regrets.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

Offline Allison

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »
lol. i'm sure ben'd tell them if they were wrong. but they're professionals (haha) and they're smart (ahahaha) they can figure 'em out.

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »
yea probably. i mean he told them, the first time they played it, that it was either E or A and if it wasn't that it was E#, which i crack up when i think about.

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »
I think they probably fudged Tom and Mary at the Toronto gig, because I clearly remember Ben asking them if they could fudge it, and working on the chords a bit with them. Afterward, I think they had it down, though.
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 08:40:54 PM »
Hey, does anyone have a recording of this show? I realize it probably would have shown up long ago if anyone actually did but it never hurts to ask. :) I was there but I forgot to flip the little hold switch on my recorder and bumped the stop button before the show even started. Didn't even think to look at the recorder since I had the show on my mind at the time lol!

Offline beamer

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »
Hey, does anyone have a recording of this show? I realize it probably would have shown up long ago if anyone actually did but it never hurts to ask. :) I was there but I forgot to flip the little hold switch on my recorder and bumped the stop button before the show even started. Didn't even think to look at the recorder since I had the show on my mind at the time lol!

Man, that sucks, I hate recording problems.  I taped a crazy show Ben played in Orono .. awesome setlist and everything, but the external mic came unplugged out of the recording device, so I ended up taping the show from the built-in mic from the device - in my pocket.  Very muddy recording, to say the least.

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »
Man, that sucks, I hate recording problems.  I taped a crazy show Ben played in Orono .. awesome setlist and everything, but the external mic came unplugged out of the recording device, so I ended up taping the show from the built-in mic from the device - in my pocket.  Very muddy recording, to say the least.

Ah man, thats rough! At least you have something though! I always say a bad recording is better than no recording at all. :) Try some EQing, it might clean it up some. Ive got a couple video clips from the show I filmed on my digital camera. Terrible sound but the visuals are quite impressive, so at least I have something. I'll get those posted sometime.