Manhattan, KS 04/08/09

• 18 Replies

Offline jpar

• The Whole World is My Coaster
Manhattan, KS 04/08/09
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »
I'll be posting setlist info here later tonight (or eMailing one of you beautiful people), but right now I wanna know - who else is going?!? Myself, Sabrina, Frank, and Lynn are gonna be there - anyone else?

Re: Manhattan, KS 04/08/09
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:20:40 PM »
Ahhhh - can't wait. We're leaving from work in about 40 minutes. See you on the front row!

Offline jpar

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »
Decent show. You could tell the guys were looking forward to getting back home and Ben was still a little under the weather, but they sure as hell blew the lid off K-State. The setlist in order:

The Bitch Went Nutz
Effington
Zak and Sara
Gone
Sentimental Guy
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Trusted
Free Coffee
Cologne
Lovesick Diagnostician
Dr. Yang
Hiroshima
Annie Waits
Jesusland
You Don't Know Me
Look into My Eyes Fly (improv)
Philosophy
Lullaby
Landed
Army
Rockin' the Suburbs
Not the Same

Encore:
Fair
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (in 2:43, which is about :20 seconds longer than the last time I saw them try to do it as fast as they could.)

Lost of banter with the crowd tonight, and a very funny improv about looking into the eyes of a fat-ass fly who'd been rendered retarded by the cold snap. The set list as performed looks nothing like what they had planned to perform, but what else is new? Notable differences include no solo set (which made Lullaby give me flashbacks to the reunion show), no Kylie, and Zak and Sara getting bumped from second to last to second in favor of Brainwascht. Lovesick Diagnostician was r e a l l y s l o w this evening, to the amusement of all involved. Anxious to get back to Nashville (note: not Nashvegas, which is a silly nickname), the band forgo any sort of meet and greet, save for a friendly wave from Sam as he headed to the bus. Ah well, there's always next time. Show #58 had a great setlist, and some really memorable moments, but I could tell home and a little RnR was on the other end of the evening. Can ya blame 'em?

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:40:13 AM »
Hey, 4 songs from "Silverman". That's way above the usual amount per concert of Silverman stuff. I hope he keeps on adding songs from the album like "Prison Food" or "Late". that would be great  :o

Offline jpar

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:05:45 PM »
Trusted was a nice treat. I hadn't heard that one in a while, and Jesusland is always delicious, especially in the middle of said land.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
blarg, i wish I could have gone to this.

05/30 will be simultaneously awesome and crappy.

awesome: The day before my birthday!
crappy: same night as Rockfest. 50,000 drunk rednecks in KC = Noooo

Offline Kyle

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 04:27:51 AM »
Wait, Justin, they played Lullaby with the band?  Maybe I should have made the trip, but it's KSU, it burns my soul in a bad way.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 05:13:25 AM »
Good recap, Justin. As usual, it was great seeing you and Sabrina at the show, and meeting your Apple buddy.

This was our first time hearing Sentimental Guy and Trusted. Both were great.

I'm preparing for a pummeling when I say this, but I was sort of disappointed he didn't play BAS. I know, I know. But it's fun, and he has fun playing it, and the crowd always loves it, and since I haven't heard it since last May, it would have been sort of nice.

Next show - Fayetteville, then KC. Unless something magically appears on the schedule in the mean time that we can make it to.

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 09:05:27 PM »
... but I was sort of disappointed he didn't play BAS. I know, I know. But it's fun, and he has fun playing it, and the crowd always loves it, and since I haven't heard it since last May, it would have been sort of nice....

Yeah I go thru phases where I don't want to hear BAS and then I accidentally let it run thru in a playlist on my player and then I sort of get into a phase where I really like BAS. Right now I'm in the phase where I not only like hearing BAS but also 'Weatherchannelmusic' and especially that awsome bootleg version of 'Free Coffee' where Ben messes up the beginning and has to start it over 3 times...love that part...especially when he says 'Sh*t' when he goofs up.
I like toast!

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 11:19:19 PM »
Yeah I go thru phases where I don't want to hear BAS and then I accidentally let it run thru in a playlist on my player and then I sort of get into a phase where I really like BAS. Right now I'm in the phase where I not only like hearing BAS but also 'Weatherchannelmusic' and especially that awsome bootleg version of 'Free Coffee' where Ben messes up the beginning and has to start it over 3 times...love that part...especially when he says 'Sh*t' when he goofs up.
well weatherchannelmusic is amazing. for being an improv jam, ben really shows off his his jazz skills. i'd kill for an entire album of this from ben.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »
and especially that awsome bootleg version of 'Free Coffee' where Ben messes up the beginning and has to start it over 3 times...love that part...especially when he says 'Sh*t' when he goofs up.

ah, that was the Exit/In bootleg first performance of the song to an audience.  oh, the memories. 
i miss nashville.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
well weatherchannelmusic is amazing. for being an improv jam, ben really shows off his his jazz skills. i'd kill for an entire album of this from ben.

Yeah I agree that is an amazing improv jam....enough so that it hasn't gotten old for me yet.

ah, that was the Exit/In bootleg first performance of the song to an audience.  oh, the memories. 
i miss nashville.

Yeah I still quite frequently listen to that Exit In Bootleg...and If my memory serves correct It was you who pointed me in the proper direction to obtain the said bootleg. So another Thanks goes out to you.  :)
I like toast!

Offline jpar

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 10:37:33 PM »
This brings up a point made by my friend Aaron after seeing 'Free Coffee' live for the first time: "That song doesn't suck so bad live. I actually like it." It was soundin' pretty spiffy in Manhappenin' that night, though the end jam didn't hold a candle to Omaha. The neatness at K-State came from the Altoid can placement, which was pretty different from the last few times I've seen the tune live. Much closer to what I heard before the album came out. I still love the version from the Lawrence, KS bootleg.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 12:03:32 AM »
i miss nashville.

Yeah I still quite frequently listen to that Exit In Bootleg...and If my memory serves correct It was you who pointed me in the proper direction to obtain the said bootleg. So another Thanks goes out to you.  :)

any time, sir.
i frequent that bootleg as well.  one of my favorites, for sure.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Allison

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »

i miss nashville.

:( me too. i miss our kick ass hotel in nashville.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!