Asheville, NC - 2/23

• 13 Replies
Asheville, NC - 2/23
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:41:46 AM »
What? No thread for Asheville? Well then, here you go.

Frank and I headed out from Knoxville to Asheville and let me just say that the drive between those two places is bee-you-tee-full. I highly recommended it to anyone with a soul.

The Asheville venue was The Orange Peel. Apparently this is some big-deal place, or so the fine people of Asheville seem to think. When Frank and I arrived, there was no one in line, so we walked down the way to a Mexican place called Mamacitas. Some of the best enchilladas ever. Seriously. Eat there. When we were finished, we headed back to the venue and found that there were about seven people in line. It was another cold day. The Orange Peel has a covered area by the doors that can comfortably hold about 20 people. The group at the front of the line had brought blankets and what-not for the long haul, and were spread out like a slumber party by the doors. As more and more people showed up and tried to huddle under the covered area, that group didn't accommodate one bit. Eventually, there was the slumber party, and behind them about 30 people huddled in a space designed for about 10. It was not a comfortable situation. At one point, a kid in a suit (he was about 17, so I can call him a kid) and his buddy came and stood by Frank and I. There were probably 50 people behind us, and these guys kept scooting closer and closer to us, trying to nonchalantly get in front of us. Yeah, we're professionals, kid. I said to him, "Hey, I know what you're trying to cut in line in front of all of these people, which I don't really care about, but you are not getting in front of us. You understand?" He backed off and probably called me a few choice names, but I don't tolerate that shit.

After what seemed like an eternity, the doors were opened and we headed into the venue, just to the left of center. We spent much of the time before the show talking to a couple from Charlotte who drove up to see the show. They were'nt really Ben fans, just concert fans. They were really nice and bought us drinks, and told us not to go to the Biltmore mansion because it costs $50 a person (glad we found out before we tried to go) and which espresso maker we should get, since we were all coffee fans.

The Miniature Tigers came out and did another fabulous set. After them, Ben came out and introduced the acapella group who would be first on the album. The all-male group sang a great version of Not The Same, then did two other songs that were also really good.

Then Ben and co. came out and played the following:

Fake Bitch Went Nuts
Effington
Real Brainwashed
Annie Waits
Alice Childress
Way to Normal
You Don't Know Me
Bastard
Battle of Who Could Care Less
Lovesick Diagnostician
Dr. Yang
Hiroshima
Landed

Here he broke in and told a story about being carjacked while wearing lederhosen when he was a teenager. It was really quite elaborate and detailed, so I'm guessing it's true.

Free Coffee
Still Fighting It
Losing Lisa

Solo Set-
Fred Jones
Boxing
Lullaby
Last Polka

Zak and Sara
Rockin' the Suburbs
Army
Kate

Encore-
Fair
Not The Same
One Angry Dwarf

We left the show happy. Next stop... Durham.

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
Re: Asheville, NC - 2/23
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 08:06:07 AM »
Yay setlist! Adding now. Thanks!

Oh, and he's told the carjacked in lederhosen story before, many years ago. I have a bootleg of it somewhere.

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:50:17 AM »
he's told that story at a show i was at too.  can't remember which one right now... normal, IL, perhaps.
i'm sure weiner will come correct me if i'm wrong.   :P

we used to have a mamacitas here.  it was so delicious.  miss it to death.

also, thanks for the update, lynn.  really appreciate it.  glad you had a good time.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Allison

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:54:36 AM »
no, not normal, cause i have ne'er heard the story live.
hahaha

and then for the record the story is on the Foellinger Aud bootleg.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:14:04 AM »
Wow, 9 Ben Folds Five songs in one show  :o

That's probably a new record. I'm really happy that the number of BFF songs increased recently!

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »
no, not normal, cause i have ne'er heard the story live.
hahaha

and then for the record the story is on the Foellinger Aud bootleg.
it's on the ziggy's one as well. which is why i think is true, he's been telling it since 2001 and the details always stay the same, there's always a gun, knife and mace in his car. usually 'creative' thinkers forget those after the fact but ben keeps them right every time. however i have never heard the other story he told that night about him and the five running over a bear.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Allison

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »
no. i know the classic story about the possum (that was thought to be a cat) but I'd never heard of the bear bit.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:21 AM »
yea i'm really willing to believe the story about getting mugged but the bear bit, i am really sure, is made up.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

Offline Aaron

• "I'm pissed off but I'm too polite"
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »
however i have never heard the other story he told that night about him and the five running over a bear.

He ran over a bear?!?! How is that possible? He must have been driving a monster truck :P. Not to call Ben a liar but I also think the story is made up.
HOLY CRAP!!!!

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »
however i have never heard the other story he told that night about him and the five running over a bear.

He ran over a bear?!?! How is that possible? He must have been driving a monster truck :P. Not to call Ben a liar but I also think the story is made up.

his dad was in .38 special, ya know?
 \m/
 :P
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 07:58:23 AM »

\m/

But only after, as a kid growing up in W-S, Ben watched a poodle freak out and die from the sound of his Dad's circular saw.  It was very traumatic and is why he kept the volume down in Cary last year... so he wouldn't kill any of the duckies or turtles.

Offline Aaron

• "I'm pissed off but I'm too polite"
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:32:36 AM »

\m/

But only after, as a kid growing up in W-S, Ben watched a poodle freak out and die from the sound of his Dad's circular saw.  It was very traumatic and is why he kept the volume down in Cary last year... so he wouldn't kill any of the duckies or turtles.

Haha! That's just too funny! ;D
HOLY CRAP!!!!

Offline Allison

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »
his dad also seriously injured someone by throwing a beer bottle at them.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:36 PM »
his dad also seriously injured someone by throwing a beer bottle at them.
isn't that how he got kicked out of .38 special? by throwing the beer bottle at a pregnant women or something? i seem to recall it that way.