Long Piece About Bats, Stems and Lyrics

• 180 Replies

Offline Emerald (Sabrina)

Re: Long Piece About Bats, Stems and Lyrics
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 08:05:43 AM »
Then again, I see loads of positive reviews, many of which seem to get the lyrics.  The Suburbsí very own Emerald, for instance could easily explain nearly everything I was trying to do.  So its possible that there's more to the lyrics than meets some eyes, even if its not your cup of tea. 

I might just take you up on that, Ben.  I've been wanting to write a review of Way to Normal (which would have to focus mostly on the lyrics since lyrics are primarily what I hear and "get" and love about songs).  I will make every attempt not to come across like an idiot after your generous and pleasantly surprising endorsement. 

:)

Once, my then four year old son Louis was in tow for the long trek from Australia to America and was playing with some wooden blocks on the airport floor in LAX.  They were Waldorf toys I think Ė something seemingly simply that requires imagination. He was engrossed.  He and his twin sister had spent most of their early years in Australia where children arenít bombarded quite as much with the culture of videos and action TV at such a young age.  An American kid his age sat with down and tried to play with him for a moment but decided the blocks werenít cool.  "Dude that's totally boring!"  Louis had been imagining all kinds of worlds of characters by himself and some video game kid who said "dude" informed him he was an idiot for enjoying his own creativity.  Louis looked pretty deflated and put the toys down because he didn't want to be uncool.  Damn shame.

What a sad but apt story.  One of the things I've enjoyed the most about your music and career in general is that you don't seem to put the blocks down no matter who says "Dude" (or whatever the bigger kids are saying these days).  As long as you play by your own rules, you can't really fail because you'll be doing what you love.  That's a complicated concept for a four year old, but so many people at 19, 35, or throughout their entire lives never get it. 

Thanks for hopping down from your stalactite and paying us a visit.  Also, there is a species of bat in Thailand that weighs less than a penny.  By my calculations, it would take 874 of them to play "Cologne" assuming they had recently regulated their own body temperatures... in which case you might want to rent them a Yamaha for the night. 

Offline TheGreatBenfolio

• Is there a funnel from her butt to your mouth now?

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 08:16:09 AM »
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline senselessdrum

• i heart darren
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008, 09:13:17 AM »
Its definitely carts

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2008, 09:55:01 AM »
damn, no mention of a studio record of Amelia Bright. I loved his huge OMGWTFHE'SBACK post. I wonder how much he had to go over the entire thing and make sure he used capitaliztion and proper sentenance formation.

Please ben if you read this far into your own post thread thing. All I want is a studio version of the Five's version of Amelia Bright. I could die happily if I heard it.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Jono11

Offline Andy

• I went because you said you'd be there
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 10:15:15 AM »
I don't think I properly conveyed in my news post...

I am SUPER EXCITED at the propect of being able to mix this album myself. I can see this going down really well with the Ben Folds audio nerds among us, and I know some of you guys are capable of coming up with some wicked remixes. "Dr. Yang (Disco remix)" anyone?

I'm not sure what the distribution deal would be with this kind of project, but I'd personally dedicate a lot of time and bandwidth to creating some kind of sharing section. Chances are that if the label allows this to go ahead they'd tie it into the official site or the fanclub.

Ben, if you have problems with the label, how about releasing the stems from the 'fake leak' tracks? I've had a great idea for Free Coffee Town...

~A
So smooth you can hear the beard.

Offline Seth

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
I'm not sure if I even said anything when I met Ben for the first and only time.  I think I may have said thank you or something after getting my picture taken with him.  I can't wait for the day the Ben knows who I AM instead of me just recognizing him.

I love this long post.  It makes me feel better about this album.  Although, unlike some, I have no problem with lyrics.  The only thing that really even annoyed me was Free Coffee.  But as a whole, this album is great and I love it. 

I love that idea about a question and answer with Ben.  There are so many questions I'd like to ask about specific songs, BFF and solo.  This should be arranged!
The-artist-formerly-known-as-crimsontide029

http://www.last.fm/user/crimsontide029

Offline beamer

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »
Love the stem idea.  I had a lot of fun with the Radiohead stems that were released.

I can't believe how pro-active Ben is becoming on this board.  It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen in the music-world.  And I'm beginning to enjoy Ben Folds "the regular writer" as much as I like Ben Folds "the songwriter".  Great stuff.

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Jono11

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 12:49:54 PM »

Offline SinginJen

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
Dear Ben,

Kudos to you for defending yourself when you really shouldn't need to.
I think the Louis/block metaphor describes Way to Normal perfectly.

Thanks for always giving us f*cking awesome blocks to play with.

Sincerely,
Shoe
too school for c...too cool for school
(too cool for school, y'all)

Offline general_apathy (Chloe)

• now here it is, your moment of zen
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »
Carts?

No, no! That's no fun.

thank you, chloe.
buggy!
also...
COKE!  (not pop or soda)
Ew, Texas.

Louisiana, thank you.
The South is just a wholly owned subsidiary of Texas.

I'm in Oregon...we're not owned by Texas. I'm originally from Florida, but Oregon is my home now. I say buggy, and I say Coke (for EVERYTHING carbonated). The rest of you are just jealous. You've no culture!
My new philosophy is that a crappy tape deck somewhere plays a greatest hits collection of strange and tender moments, lost, stranded, and forgotten. I'll meet you there.

Offline ClareQuilty

• Yep. This is I.
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 05:12:54 PM »
A typical female vampire bat weighs 40 grams and can consume over 20 grams (1 fluid ounce) of blood in a 20-minute feed. This feeding behaviour is facilitated by its anatomy and physiology for rapid processing and digestion of the blood to enable the animal to take flight soon after the feeding.

The stomach lining rapidly absorbs the blood plasma, which is quickly transported to the kidneys from where it passes to the bladder for excretion. So within two minutes of feeding, a common vampire bat begins to expel urine.

The one healthy criticism I might glean from these reviews, even if Iím reading between the lines, is that perhaps my lyrics werenít clear enough!?

It's a possible and fair assessment, Ben, but I'm afraid that might not be the case. Sometimes when an artist chooses to be literal, the audience will take the artist's er, literalness too literally. If that make a lick of sense! Haha.

Basically what I mean is that those reviewers lack the insight to analyze lyrics with a fine tooth comb. Or even the time to do it properly, depending on how their deadlines are. Plus, you know, people not meshing with your sense of humor or people under the impression that you're angry. Or angry for the sake of being angry.

That reviewer you mentioned said that you needed to see a shrink. I remember reading that review, too. I wouldn't take it too seriously, Ben. The guy was shallow enough to form an opinion of your well being based solely on your song lyrics.

Admittedly, I was one of those people who said that the lyrics left something to be desired. Maybe it's because I just had difficultly relating to them on a  personal level as I have with your earlier work. Like "Jane" back on Messner for instance. Jane was essentially me a few years ago. This is all subjective of course and I do love the lyrics on some of the songs on WTN. You Don't Know Me, Effington, Kylie and Brainwashed all have wonderful lyrics. I especially love Effington! The tale you crafted of those two towns in that song is so engrossing.

Once, my then four year old son Louis was in tow for the long trek from Australia to America and was playing with some wooden blocks on the airport floor in LAX.  They were Waldorf toys I think Ė something seemingly simply that requires imagination. He was engrossed.  He and his twin sister had spent most of their early years in Australia where children arenít bombarded quite as much with the culture of videos and action TV at such a young age.  An American kid his age sat with down and tried to play with him for a moment but decided the blocks werenít cool.  "Dude that's totally boring!"  Louis had been imagining all kinds of worlds of characters by himself and some video game kid who said "dude" informed him he was an idiot for enjoying his own creativity.  Louis looked pretty deflated and put the toys down because he didn't want to be uncool.  Damn shame.

When I was a kid, I used to get the same thing. All my favorite toys were lego blocks and paint easels. I liked to build an create my own little worlds. It hasn't changed. I've just replaced my lego blocks with cameras, screenplays, musical instruments and D&D.
As you know I hang upside down in a dark closet like a bat until summoned.