Brainwascht Hypothesis

• 9 Replies

Offline Jono11

Brainwascht Hypothesis
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:11:51 PM »
Hypothesis: The song Brainwascht is responding to is "Your Choices" by Hotel Lights.  Discuss.
Points in favor:
- "Bad country demo"--Frankly, I've always been a hater of the production value on HL.  I used to listen to the first album occasionally before I knew they were Darren's band, and I could never get into them because they just sound, well, like they're making a demo.  Ben's almost surely not referring to an ACTUAL demo in the song, he's deriding the song's merit.  And "Your Choices" could easily be derided as countryesque.
- "extremely judgmental and mean"--It isn't necessarily a mean song if you listen to it as being sung by a character/narrator to a character/listener, but at times it reads like the kind of song someone would sing to the narrators of some of Ben's quasi-autobio songs like Best Imitation of Myself.  One could certainly imagine that, if one was the target of the lyrics, they could be seen as hurtful.
- "someone I know"--That's not gonna just be anybody.
Points against:
- Was Darren married in 1994?  If not, then he could hardly be getting blown in his basement in 1994 while his wife slept.
- The words "integrity" and "family" appear nowhere in "Your Choices."

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
Re: Brainwascht Hypothesis
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »
I almost think that this song is not about Darren Jesse and his songs.
For one thing I don't think that darren has a funnel to his mouth from another person, and he's usually an awesome song writer so I'd have to say nope.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline Allison

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »
No way.

Seeing as Ben didn't have a copy of Firecracker People until the reunion.

That and he would have had to have heard the song pre December 07.

Which, I guess.... is possible. But, uh-uh. The Fleming and John theory I think holds a lot more possible.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 04:14:21 PM »
I'm thinking it isn't a pointed tune to slam one individual specifically if what we are doing here is hypothesizing the hidden meaning of  'Brainwascht'. For now I'll go along with the CW that it is probably just a tune written about a composite character made up of a number of individuals who have drifted in and out of Ben's life over the years and into the present.
I like toast!

Offline Jono11

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:14:59 PM »
No way.

Seeing as Ben didn't have a copy of Firecracker People until the reunion.

That and he would have had to have heard the song pre December 07.

Which, I guess.... is possible. But, uh-uh. The Fleming and John theory I think holds a lot more possible.
Fleming and John?  Do they even exist anymore?

Offline Jono11

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
I'm thinking it isn't a pointed tune to slam one individual specifically if what we are doing here is hypothesizing the hidden meaning of  'Brainwascht'. For now I'll go along with the CW that it is probably just a tune written about a composite character made up of a number of individuals who have drifted in and out of Ben's life over the years and into the present.
He said explicitly that it's about somebody he knows who wrote an "extremely judgmental and mean" song about him.

Offline TrashSpork

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:27:28 PM »
He said explicitly that it's about somebody he knows who wrote an "extremely judgmental and mean" song about him.

Oh...I didn't know that (Or I had forgotten about it). I stand corrected....Carry on.  ;)
I like toast!

Offline Jono11

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:15:43 PM »
So what's the Fleming & John theory?

Offline Allison

mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline Jono11

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:51 AM »
Yup, that's definitely a better theory.  Close this thread.