Ben Folds Five Reunion - Watch It Here!

• 96 Replies

Offline Allison

Re: Ben Folds Five Reunion - Watch It Here!
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »
He's a very laid back individual.
At least. His outside persona. Which makes sense with his type of music.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 12:16:20 AM »
You don't think he did? I can't tell from watching the video of the show but I recall reading similar thoughts posted about the boards.
It looked to me that he was concentrating hard on playing things that he'd not played for a decade.

And not forgetting his words. Ben.

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 12:39:32 AM »
ZING!

Darren was all smiles after the show, he was such a cheery nice guy, but he did seem a bit tired. I'm not surprised though, I'd say that julianne takes a lot out of a person just to play it, and since he hasn't been playing it six days out of every seven for about 10 years he had reason to be.

In a cool note if anyone hadn't already read, After the show I got a small, miniscule bass lesson from Robert sledge and both Darren and Robert to sign my BOWCCL ep, now the cool thing about this is that since it wasn't well lit about the parking area Darren signed right over Robert's name. The whole conversation went something like this:

Me: "Could you sign this too?"
Darren: "Yea sure"
...moments later
Me: "Uh, I think you signed over Robert's name."
Darren: "Oh....Well...It's unique that way."

He was such a nice guy, even took another picture with me when Brooke's Camera f*cked up and blurred out the first one. Thanks to Brooke btw, I didn't have a camera and she was there to save the day and take 'em for me and send 'em to me. ;D

Robert makes the goofiest face I've ever seen in one of the pictures.

Here they are on my Myspace:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=56495840&albumID=2377370&imageID=36931137 (Robert and I)
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=56495840&albumID=2377370&imageID=36931137#a=2377370&i=36931142 (Darren and I)
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=56495840&albumID=2377370&imageID=36931137#a=2377370&i=36931151 (The Signed over EP)

BTW those are some of the worst pictures of me I've ever seen. I'm not very photogenic and holy god it shows in those pictures, I'm all hot and sweaty after rocking out for 2 and half hours.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline You Dont Know Zach

• And it's terrible pain, and it's all for free.
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2008, 02:11:55 AM »
Hate to repost, but when the DVD comes out somebody please, please, please rip it to WUWTL. God I can't hear Robert so well in this.

Even though it's compressed as hell, the sound is so clear.
dont overplay, keep it simple and in the pocket, support the song, and you will be asked to play more than you have time to. - Chuck Folds

http://www.last.fm/user/YoudontknowZach

Offline J-dog

• How many of me would it take to screw up your life
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2008, 04:39:29 AM »
i think someone should count how many times "you know..." was said by Darren and Robert in the Front To Back interviews and see who said it the most. it'll be close i reckon.
J-diggity

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2008, 05:55:12 AM »

It looked to me that he was concentrating hard on playing things that he'd not played for a decade.

And not forgetting his words. Ben.
[/quote]

I Second that.  He's probably making sure he does not screw it up.  From what I have heard of Hotel Lights, he hasn't been thrashing the drums like that for quite some time.  Concentration paid off.  He was fantastic and like he had secretly been playing all the songs in his basement for the past decade waiting for this.

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2008, 05:59:57 AM »
He was fantastic and like he had secretly been playing all the songs in his basement for the past decade waiting for this.
They were very "together", IMO. Which surprised me somewhat. It pleases me no end, but surprises me all the same after all this time.

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »
Just wanna say a big cheers to everyone for putting the video on here so i could watch it in the uk. thanks!

can't wait to see the encore (they better bloody put it on the DVD)

Offline melissa

• Explain it to me again and again, like i care.
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 07:40:31 AM »
i think someone should count how many times "you know..." was said by Darren and Robert in the Front To Back interviews and see who said it the most. it'll be close i reckon.

i was also thinking this while watching.  initially, it was just Robert and then Darren came on and started it up.  it was like some kind of game to see who could say it the most.   :P
and i'm so high not even you and all your love could bring me down

http://www.last.fm/user/foldsisgod/

Offline Allison

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »

I Second that.  He's probably making sure he does not screw it up.  From what I have heard of Hotel Lights, he hasn't been thrashing the drums like that for quite some time.  Concentration paid off.  He was fantastic and like he had secretly been playing all the songs in his basement for the past decade waiting for this.
Yeah, Darren doesn't even play the drums on his Hotel Lights records. Take that one on for size.
mel (1:10:14 AM): love ben folds or burn!

Offline kingrikk (Kirk)

• I want to be Kirk.
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »
Yeah, Darren doesn't even play the drums on his Hotel Lights records. Take that one on for size.
I wondered about commenting on that, but I wasn't sure if Franklin realised and just thought (correctly) that the style of Hotel Lights is a lot slower.

Offline Ootini

• Sandcrawler II - Assistant Manager
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2008, 03:11:27 PM »
Absolutely superb. That gig was on my 30th birthday and I was gutted that it happened 3000 miles away. There's something about the way those three gel together as a band as well as all being individually great players that made BFF special. Watching that video made me remember that Darren and Robert's drum and bass techniques are so wonderfully subtle and intricate that it made me grin like mad. It's something that is sadly lacking from Ben's music these days - much as I still love his work.

Thanks Andy. You am legend.

Oo.

Offline Disease

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2008, 04:05:45 PM »
Ahh thank you so much! This is excellent.

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 05:30:28 AM »
Thanks Andy.  I can't get Myspace at work, so being able to watch this was terrific.  I really appreciate it.

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 05:06:45 AM »
Has anyone been able to convert this to mp4/mov/avi/anything that isn't a flash video file? basically i want to put it on my ipod but nothing ive tried works properly. There are a few FLV to mp4 converter software but the audio is unlistenable and there's a big "EVALUATION COPY" watermark over the video. Ta